Saturday 21 May 2011

BC Pea and sun-dried tomato porridge

When I agreed to host the Breakfast Club event all I could think was that there aren't enough savoury breakfasts for vegetarians.  Hence I chose the theme of Vegetarian and Savoury.  It has made me think about breakfast.  So let me share a few thoughts and a recipe inspired by the event.

I am not a morning person.  I don't have lots of energy and smiles for breakfast.  We don't have tablecloths and toast racks.  Yet I have always eaten breakfast.  Every day.  Even when going out to brunch I might have something to break the fast before I head out the door.  I am grumpy without food first thing in the morning.

As a child I ate cereal with milk on it but as an adult I am not so big on cereal.  Mostly I enjoy toast, yoghurt, smoothies and fruit.  I love a good fry up if there are no meat or eggs involved. It is just that I rarely have a lot of time for breakfast.  Lately breakfasts have become more of a challenge as I often wait until Sylvia has her cereal before starting on toast and fruit, for fear I will distract her - it doesn't take much.  Most days it seems she would much prefer to feed dolly or pat zinc or roar like a wild thing than to eat her breakfast. 

E and I talk about what breakfast ideas we might try with Sylvia.  He loves porridge and is going to make some for her.  I applaud the idea.  However I have never liked porridge.  As a child it was something sophisticated that my dad and my sister ate.  The gloopy nature doesn't seem right to me.  It doesn't make sense that I can't stand the texture when I love so many foods with oats in them.  

I saw Janet's entry to the Breakfast Club and immediately was inspired.  She made a savoury porridge with soy sauce and nutritional yeast flakes.  I don't know why savoury porridge appeals so much more than the sweet stuff but I can't be the only one as I have heard of Scots salting their porridge (and pouring it in a drawer and slicing it up when cold).  Though I suspect if they saw my version, they might cry out, "that's no how ye make porridge".  (Sorry, that catchphrase stuck from the silly advertisement for oats.)

I have tried a veggie-packed version of oats upma before which was ok but not quite right.  So I looked at Janet's and thought I just need a few veg.  Vegetables that don't need a lot of preparation in the morning.  Frozen peas and sun-dried tomatoes.  I liked it.  It was satisfying if still a little gloopy.  I suspect it helped that there was no milk or cream involved as I am not really into creamy.  I consulted Yahoo answers and didn't really judge amounts,  The recipe below is merely a guide as to what I did.  Other vegetables such a pumpkin and baby spinach could be used.  I am not sure this will be an everyday breakfast but maybe it will sneak in on some winter mornings as a warming alternative to toast.

Do you have a favourite vegetarian savoury breakfast?  Your ideas are welcome. You can find the rules here to join in the Breakfast Club event with your vegetarian savoury breakfast post.  Please get them to me up until (and including) 28 May 2011.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: St Nigel's Brownies
This time two years ago: Pumpkin and Goats Cheese Muffins
This time three years ago: Creamy Green Lasagne for Beautiful Bones
This time four years ago: TGRWT #2 - It’s nuts, it’s bananas, it’s stew!

Pea and Sun-Dried Tomato Porridge
serves 1

1/2 cup rolled oats
1 cup water
pinch of salt
about 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes, chopped with scissors
about 2 tbsp frozen peas
about 2-4 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese
splash of soy sauce

Place oats, water and salt in a medium sized bowl.  Microwave until mixture has thickened and oats are cooked.  It took me about two and a half minutes the first time and three minutes the second time.  I stirred after the first minute and then after every thirty seconds.  Then add frozen peas, sun-dried tomatoes, cheese and soy sauce to taste.  Eat hot.

On the stereo:
Waiting for the Twilight: TAC

10 comments:

  1. I went through a big savoury oats phase last year, and am glad you've reminded me of it! Sometimes I'd just cook oats in water then add a bucketload of parmesan or goat cheese, pepper, and tabasco. Definitely a wake-up call in the morning ;)

    P.S. If you don't like the gloopiness of oats (and I don't love it when it's too liquidy either), might I recommend oatbran? So much creamier :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound good! While I do like savory breakfasts, I have to admit I'm not a fan of savory oatmeal. I will have to try it again with peas and sundried tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really nice, but I have to confess to being more of a sweet-breakfast person (I'm sure you could have guessed that from my blog though!). I quite often make porridge just with water and then eat as it is, neither sweet nor savoury. But because I always had sweetened porridge as a child my taste buds associate oats with sweetness even when there isn't any there, if that makes sense. So it would be very confusing to eat savoury oats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a really interesting idea Johanna, I'd not have thought of adding veg to porridge. Having said that CT has informed me that it was traditional to put nettles in porridge if in season. I was bought up on porridge made with oatmeal rather than oats and water and salt cooked long and slow overnight - it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. weeeelll> it does sound interesting...just not sure if it appeals to my appetite yet...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Hannah - I don't like gloopy or creamy but might try oatbran for a different texture to see if I like that better - I'd like to try other cheeses especially smoked cheese

    Thanks Ricki - I sort of hope that savoury oatmeal might get more more used to the texture and be a way into sweet oatmeal as I quite fancy it with berries or other fruit

    Thanks C - I never ate porridge but my head associates it with sweet - I think that trying savoury is a way to think about it a different way and get out of old patterns

    Thanks choclette - overnight sounds like it would be very mushy - not sure if that is good or bad - nettles in porridge sounds interesting - I quite fancy spinach or even herbs - mmmm green porridge :-)

    Thanks Janna - maybe it would grow on you if you tried it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Johanna, Glad my post inspired you. I like how you added in some easy prep veggies as well! Can never get enough of those! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not much of a breakfast type person. I sure would consider your savory oatmeal for a snack though. It sure sounds like I should give it a try, at least once.

    Sorry, Johanna, I haven't any grand ideas for breakfast.

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Savoury porridge - sounds interesting! Never seem anything like this before, but for those days when sweet won't cut it, this would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to hate oatmeal but a couple of years ago I somehow started to quite enjoy it. Though I think I prefer vegan overnight oats. Also, adding chia seeds is great because it helps thicken everything up. I've yet to try savoury oats - the peas and sun dried tomatoes sound like a great pairing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)