Saturday 5 February 2011

Nutella fudge for World Nutella Day

Birthdays are for treats, right? Birthdays are for indulgence, right? Birthdays are for going off the calorific scale, right? Birthdays are an excuse to make that decadent chocolate fudge that you would never ever make otherwise, right? Right!

Ok, so maybe "never ever" is an exaggeration but I must protest that I know enough to understand that to store such temptation in my kitchen is downright dangerous. This fudge is so very amazingly delicious. Just the thing for a birthday that seemed to be a comedy of errors.

I lost my watch (of 14 years) at the beach, got yelled at when parking the car, and, when we went for dinner at a lovely local pub, the chef was away so we had a limited menu. It wasn't all bad. There was sunshine, flowers, cake and the joy of seeing Sylvia discovering the limitless sandpit that is the beach. She has also just found how much she loves "happy birthday cake".

And there was nutella fudge. I had intended to bake cake for a birthday morning tea at work. An excuse to bake and share cake should not be passed up. I love baking cake. I just wish I wasn't so tired at the moment. Sylvia's sleeping has been unsettled and so has life. Or maybe I just mean I am busy. Is there a difference? Hard to tell when you are tired. Cake takes more energy than fudge. More measuring, more mixing, more waiting for the oven timer to ring. This fudge just needed some melting and sprinkling. Easy!

The recipe came from Hannah. It made amends for her raw brownie and all my dodgy nutella baking that I recently shared. It is brilliantly simple. Hannah used multi-coloured sprinkles. I didn't fancy them but wasn't brave enough to try the sea salt flakes in the original recipe. Instead I found some coloured sugar crystals. I tried them in different ways and discovered that less is more.

Mine wasn't quite as smooth as Hannah's on top but it had an amazing smooth texture. When I took it into work (with some cherries to compensate for such decadence) my colleagues had to know what was in it. Chocolate, condensed milk, nutella and butter! What more do you need in a fudge! One colleague commented that one piece contained enough calories for the day and declared she would not need to eat again until tomorrow. Everyone agreed it was amazing! I was only too glad to share it!

Even better, I get to share it with nutella lovers everywhere. Today is World Nutella Day, as declared by bloggers, Sara from Ms Adventures in Italy and Michelle of Bleeding Espresso. Yet another great excuse to eat nutella fudge.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: Emergency Zucchini and Rice Burgers
This time two years ago: East Brunswick Club
This time three years ago: Polenta and Tomato Comforts

Nutella Fudge
from Cooking Canuck via Wayfaring Chocolate
Makes at least 50 small but rich squares

400g (14 oz) can condensed milk
250g (8 oz) dark chocolate, chopped (I used 70%)
220g jar (approx 8 oz or 1 cup) Nutella
50g butter, room temperature, cut into small cubes
1 tsp vanilla extract
Sprinkles or sea salt

Melt first five ingredients in a heat proof bowl in the microwave or over a double boiler. You should let it become liquid so it sets smooth on top but I only let it just melt. Pour into a baking paper lined 20cm square tin or two 15 cm square tins. Sprinkle with coloured decorations or sea salt. Let set in the fridge until firm. I left mine overnight. Cut into small pieces. Store or serve with mini muffin papers, if desired. (It melts into your fingers easily when handled so the papers are useful.) Store in the fridge.

Update Nov 2011: I loved this so much that I made a vegan gluten free nutella fudge.

On the stereo:
Return to Paradise: history of exotica - Various Artists

18 comments:

  1. Holy hazelnuts, that looks decadently amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Johanna, you're awesome! Personally, I think I'd like the coloured sugar more than my sprinkles too. Funnily enough after discovering about World Nutella Day I edited my post to make mine for that celebration too :D We're like two peas in a pod!

    Also... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I wish I could be there to give you a hug, and to commiserate over life feeling unsettled. I guess we both just need to have faith that things will come right-side up again soon? Love you lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks gorgeous and very rich and ...fudgey! Love the sound of adding nutella. How come I didn't know it was Nutella day?? Will have to make up for it and eats lots of it today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that you have a wonderful year. May all your wishes come true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you enjoyed the fudge! Birthday are definitely for indulgences and I'm glad this one was part of your day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is only 9AM here and all want in this world is nutella fudge. That's either a really good or a really bad way to start the day lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That fudge looks absolutely incredible. I might have to make some this afternoon, I think I have all the ingredients! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Book marked!!! Happy Birthday ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Stoner Gourmand - oh it is

    Thanks Hannah - the coloured sugar looks pretty but too much of it made my teeth ache so in moderation - glad to be your nutella fudge twin - and this fudge is probably the nicest birthday present you could have given me - worth many hugs!!!!

    Thanks Katie - never waste an excuse to eat lots of nutella :-)

    Thanks Pene - best wishes to you too

    Thanks Cookin' Canuck - I couldn't have wished for any more indulgence for my birthday than this fudge

    Thanks Joanne - I am also wondering if it is good or bad but have decided maybe it is so bad it is good (or maybe so good it is bad)

    Thanks Rachel - it is amazing that something so decadent can be made with regular pantry items!!!! Enjoy

    Thanks Chele - hope you get to make it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Johanna - how auspicious to share your birthday with Nutella :-)

    The fudge looks delicious. Do you think you'll try the sea salt next time? I bet that would be amazing (maybe you could do one side sea salt, one side sprinkles?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks SO delicious, but I'm scared to make it until I have an occasion lest it sits in the fridge and I eat the whole thing over a week. Bookmarked. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy birthday! This fudge looks awesome. I love the party sprinkles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Happy Birthday Cake" oh how I remember my kids asking for it that way. So cute. A very Happy Birthday to YOU!

    Figure it this way, Johanna. Not only do you share a day with Nutella, you also share a day with Chocolate Fondue, in the states, anyway:)

    Your fudge looks awesome!!!

    Thanks for sharing...hoping you have a better week:)

    P.S. I will be emailing you this week, honest:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG - I would do anything (anything I tell you) for a piece of this right now - that looks absolutely insanely good.
    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Sophie - confession - it wasn't actually my birthday on the day when I posted the recipe - nor was it nutella's - I love this world nutella day because it is founded in foodie love rather than marketing! Re the seasalt, I would like to try it but just haven't had enough experience of salt in sweet foods to feel confident about it

    thanks Lexi - I felt the same way but once you have a special occasion it is a great way to celebrate with this fudge

    Thanks Domestic Goddess Wannabe - glad you love the sprinkles - I just found more tonight - crazy that I collect such things and hardly use them - so am glad to find one use!

    Thanks lisa - yes indeed!

    Thanks Louise - I'd love to share my birthday with chocolate fondu - though mine is possibly not quite on the same day but maybe next birthday I will need to celebrate with chocolate fondue just the same - any excuse will do!

    Thanks Sue - whatever you had in mind, just do it - you wont regret it once you have had a piece but you will want another because it is so good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How true, fudge is so much simpler and quicker than cake--I want fudge! This looks like the perfect, perfect fudge, too. Hope it made up (a little) for being yelled at and losing the watch. Love Sylvia's sunhat. And Happy (oh so terribly belated) Birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't even like nutella but I want a piece of this!! It looks so smooth and like it has the perfect texture.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)