Thursday 7 December 2017

Wild rice, cranberry, celery and walnut salad

It may be beginning to look a lot like Christmas but my computer is not giving out any festive cheer.  Instead it is refusing to turn on.  I am most displeased with it.  Luckily it is only 2 weeks since I backed up but I think it needs a computer doctor.  So I am on E's computer without all my usual systems or downloaded photos and managing a short whinging post.  Fortunately salads have not been so frustrating.

This wild rice salad was quite good.  Not quite perfect.  I at first added some maple syrup and mustard but found it a bit oily so next time reduced the olive oil to 1 tbsp and then used 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar rather than 1/2 tsp maple syrup.  It was a bit too tangy to be a meal but very good as a side salad.  It would go well with a creamy potato salad or a festive spread of salads. 

In my first attempt (above and below) I ran out of cranberries and used some dried apricots which I also really loved. I served it one night with vegies, nuts and turmeric chips. 

When I made this salad recently it was hot sweltering weather that called out for salads.  Tonight we have yet another downpour after 127mm in our suburb in 3 days over the weekend.  I am happy to be snug and dry at home and relieved that the rain waited until after our barefoot bowls work Christmas party today.  Meanwhile, I am not sure what is happening with computers so might be fairly quiet until this is fixed.  Sigh!  Just what I need in the crazy season.  On the upside I am enjoying getting lots of reading done.

Wild Rice, cranberry, celery and walnut salad
Adapted from taste.com.au
Serves 6-8 on the side

1/2 cup each brown rice and wild rice
1 cup dried cranberries
2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1 tsp olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp seeded mustard
pinch of seasoning mix

Cook brown rice and wild rice by simmering for 30 minutes.  (You can cook the rices together if you don't mind them both being dark purple.  Cooking them separately will keep the brown rice a lighter colour.)  Rinse with cold water to cool.  Add remaining ingredients and toss well.

On the Stereo:
Songs for the young at heart: Various Artists

8 comments:

  1. This is all about the textures (and flavors, too!) Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recipe! White and wild rice salads with dried cranberries are pretty popular around here. Other grains give somewhat different flavors, but also make a good salad with the same recipe -- like quinoa, bulgar, wheat berries. Recipes I've used also vary which nuts to add.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. the salad looks great. But .... it is really cold here - do you think it would work to warm it up a bit?

    thanks.

    fruitcrmble AT Comcast DOT net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our work Christmas party was on that night. and I got wet coming home - umbrellas were useless. This salad looks delicious and the sweet apricots are a nice if accidental addition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry about your computer. How frustrating. I'm glad you could still share this as it looks lovely and your pictures capture it well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the computer sorts itself out and you get to enjoy the digital detox as much as can be. I've bookmarked this for our Boxing Day family meal, I reckon it'll go down a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love wild rice, and I really like the idea of combining with brown rice for texture. The colours of this salad look very festive and sound delicious. I'm sorry to hear about your computer, I hope it gets fixed soon, but how fortunate for a recent back up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds delicious Johanna. Perfect for your hot weather.... The combination of flavours sounds like all that I love xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)