Thursday 28 December 2017

Christmas food, presents and random links


Christmas has come and gone.  I hope you had a good one.  We are now in the week of sleep-ins, movies and festive leftovers.  Here is a little recap of our Christmas. 

Christmas eve was a day of baking, as usual.  After a really busy time, it was great to get in the kitchen and bake up a storm.  At the end of the night the table heaved under nut roast, cranberry nut rolls, chocolate mince pies, panforte, pizza, spiced nuts and fudge.

Biggest disaster was when I was about to put the panforte in the oven and saw the figs were still on the chopping board!  Which I guess is why I shouldn't leave it til I am watching Carols by Candlelight after dinner.

A few of the recipes to come soon.  Did I mention I now have 5 weeks leave.  Woo hoo!  I live in hope of more time for blogging.

Christmas day began ridiculously early.  Sylvia came in to tell me about what Santa had bought her at 2am (in our family Santa does not wrap presents).  I was so tired I turned over and tried to ignore her gasping at how spicy a Harry Potter Bertie Bott's black pepper jelly bean was.  E finally coaxed her back to bed and sleep.  Above is the Pink Super Dooper Pooper that poops jelly beans.  Sylvia was really excited by this present.

We rose at a more civilised time (7.30am) to open the presents under the tree and eat cranberry nut rolls, Jarlsberg cheese and orange juice.

Then we headed down to Geelong to my parents for more presents and Christmas dinner.

My sister put together a fantastic platter of cheese, crackers and veg to keep us going because Christmas dinner is later than our usual lunch time.  The kids were happy to play Harry Potter Cluedo while they waited.

I forgot to take a photo of my Christmas lunch but I did take one on Boxing Day when my mum had enough leftovers (almost) for another Christmas dinner with my dad's family.  My mum had to roast more potato (you can never roast too much potato) and I had red pepper instead of roast pumpkin.  I loved my sister's cauliflower cheese - it was worth her finding a place where she could buy cauliflower on Christmas morning.

I went traditional with pudding and custard for dessert.  The trifle looked wonderful but I didn't actually get a taste.  Nor dd I partake of pavlova.  She also forgot to put our my panforte on Boxing Day but that was ok because my Aunt Jacqui was not there this year (and she is the biggest fan of my panforte).  And most importantly, mum saved me a piece of caramel tart on boxing day when E and I went to see Star Wars The Last Jedi during dessert.

We had a relaxing afternoon.  I bought E this Forbidden Island game.  It was fun and interesting to play a game that was cooperative rather than competitive.

My mum also made a Christmas cake which was part of the range of desserts I didn't get to try.  She hadn't cut this when I left but I always love a piece.  (Hint hint mum for when I next visit!) 

Sylvia got heaps of presents.  Too many to fit in one photo.  There is also a 1000 piece jigsaw and a few other bits of pieces that did not make the photo.

E and I got less presents but lots of interesting things.  Table confetti, anyone?  Plus a few books.  Always books.

And we received lots of food.  I am especially fond of the skull jar of hot sauce.

Yesterday we were back home and it was 36 C.  So Sylvia and I went out to enjoy some air conditioning at the movies.  We went to see Paddington 2, which was excellent at the Crown Complex, which annoys me.

But Crown does do a pretty amazing Christmas light and sound show.  Sylvia loved it with all the faberge eggs opening to different Christmas songs and the lights going crazy on a huge Christmas tree.

It is hot again today so we will head to the pool to cool off and try to forget just how close we are to the end of 2017.  Meanwhile, I leave you with some Christmas quicklinks for some entertainment and food for thought:

Christmas quicklinks

9 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like you had a great Christmas. I like that you received lots of food as presents. I took my mum to see Paddington 2 yesterday - loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks and sounds like a lovely week - Happy Christmas! 5 weeks of leave is fantastic and I hope you continue to enjoy the break. I love that you still make the cranberry rolls and all of your food choices sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nutloaf is amazing. My daughter is vegetarian and I've made it for her 2 years running. The rest of us love it as well! Got the recipe from an Edgar's Mission brochure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful decor and gifts!!! Happy Holidays! I'm catching up on some blogs so I will be leaving a couple of comments to catch up on yours, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Christmas looks lovely. I always enjoy that week between Christmas and New Year when time has less meaning! 5 weeks of leave sounds delightful, I hope you have a wonderful break. All of that food looks so yummy... I am a big fan of food as presents :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have fun with your five weeks off! I can't imagine ever getting that long off but it sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pleased to read your Christmas was good. The foodie in me is pleased you received lots of food related pressies.
    i too would have been fond of the skull chilli sauce. Whoop whoop to you and your 5 weeks of leave, Enjoy it and make the most of it - I am sure you will :) I really want to See Paddington 2, so it pleases me to note that you enjoyed it as that is recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a Christmas filled with food, family, and fun - what more could you ask for really? Another fan of that skull sauce here too! What a glorious jar - I hope the sauce is just as fancy! Enjoy your five weeks off too - what a lovely break!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a fantastic Christmas Johanna. Thanks so much for the link! And HAPPY NEW YEAR. I hope 2018 is amazing for you. Thanks for all your support during 2017 xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)