Tuesday 14 October 2014

Port Fairy holiday, walks and eating out

Our holiday in Port Fairy last month made me understand why people return to the same holiday location year after year.  We have never done it before.  I love exploring new places. This year however was our third time staying in the holiday cottages.  And it worked.  Planning was really easy.  We didn't need research or maps.  We knew great places to eat, tried some new ones and had a relaxing time with no pressure to see it all.

We arrived on a Friday afternoon - thanks to my mum loaning us her car.  (Our car had been stolen! More of that saga already written about elsewhere on blog.)  We have stayed at Orchard Cottages twice before.  Sylvia remembered the place fondly because she loved the stairs to the mezzanine bedroom.  She brought along her lego and coloured pens for entertainment.

E and I really love the cosy ambiance of the cottage.   The books, the pictures, the crochet rugs, the wood stove.  Our last trips have been earlier in the spring and we have found it necessary to light the fire.  This trip was a lot warmer so we only lit it a couple of times and on the first night it was far too hot.  Which didn't help Sylvia sleeping in the mezzanine!  I also must mention Terence the cat.  E and Sylvia spent a lot of time outside playing with him.

One reason we love Orchard Cottages is that we have our own space to relax and to eat.  I organise the food to take with us.  What we took was fairly similar to last year: baked beans, packaged curries, pringles chips, nutella, English muffins, nuttalex, oats (for porridge), milk,vegemite, roast chickpeas, tinned chickpeas, tomato soup, crackers, herbal tea bags, chocolate, prunes, apples and a few vegies.  As with last year, we took some of it home but it was all non-perishable food that lasted well.  I also bought my favourite little plastic chopping board, knife, a few tubs and some plastic plate, bowl and cup for Sylvia.

The night before we left, I baked a batch of gingerbread biscuits.  It was a great little snack to have on hand and take with us on walks.  The recipe makes heaps so we had quite a few to take home.

One reason we arrived on a Friday was to visit the Community Market on Saturday morning.  I was disappointed to find it no longer has a baker.  However I did have a pakora and a ricotta, sultana and white chocolate doughnut.  We also bought some jelly slice.  Sylvia's choice!

Most of our time at the market was spent waiting for Sylvia to have her face painted.  We watched the face painter hammer down the tent because it was so windy.  The stall with the wind chimes made of silver tea pots and spoons was rather loud, in a nice sort of way.

After the market we had lunch at the excellent Farmer's Wife Harvest Cafe.  (It was so good it deserves its own post - coming soon.)   Then E and Sylvia spent time in the opportunity shop in search of second hand bargains while I went to Darriwill Farm for fancy food.  Dinner was a simple matter of spinach and macadamia dip, La Madre casalinga, swiss cheese and vegies.  So good.  So easy.

We returned to the Clonmara Tearoom.  We had enjoyed their food and hospitality so much last time that it was high on our list of places to eat.  There were no baked beans on the menu but when I asked, I was given some lovely home made baked beans with hash browns, tomato and toast.  This time there were no potato scones or haggis on the menu but we did receive the same warm welcome from the owners.

We also returned to Tower Hill.  It is a short drive from Port Fairy.  Yet again, I found the scenery stunning and loved being in the bush.  The views in the dormant volcano are beautiful.  We did a walk up to a lookout that looked across the nearby farmlands to the sea.

There were no kangaroos spotted this year but we did have to stop the car to let an emu cross the road.  We stopped to watch a lizard on the walking path and Sylvia was delighted to see Scottish thistles in flower.  Some wildlife was less welcome.  The mosquitoes were everywhere in Port Fairy and at Tower Hill.  And they loved sucking on my blood!  There were also lots of dragonflies about.  They are more harmless.

I took some snacks for our walks.  The cafe seemed pretty rudimentary on our last visit.  Some packets of roasted chickpeas, gingerbread and chopped apples did us nicely.

However by the time we got back to Port Fairy, we were ready for an ice cream.  I had promised Sylvia she would have an ice cream in Port Fairy.  We went to Rebecca's.  I had chocolate, Sylvia had butterscotch and E had salted caramel.  We all really loved the salted caramel.  Someone recommended the ice creams or gelatos at Poco Artisan Ice Cream on Cox Street.  Maybe we will try them next holiday.

We had some time at the cottage to relax (and build cubby huts in the garden) and then Sylvia and I had a swim at the local pool.  It was not a great decision to head out with wet hair to look for the mutton birds flying in at dark on Griffith Island.  We were all so cold and uncertain of what we were looking for.  It is so easy to forget how warm spring days can turn to chilly nights quickly.  Finally we left and as we did we saw some birds flying in.

After a chilly night out we needed fish and chips to warm us up.  Wisharts on the Wharf - just up the road from the cottage - was the fish and chip shop we had been to on our previous visits.  We were surprised to find it had closed.  Luckily I asked a local who pointed me in the direction of Charlie's on East.  It was worth a drive.  Crisp golden chips, great potato cakes and lovely corn jacks.

The next day we did something we hadn't done on previous visits.  We crossed the river on the pedestrian bridge to explore the other side.

I had packed some bikkies and hummus, gingerbread and apple.  We stopped at a little picnic spot by a cart to eat a picnic lunch by the river.  E had actually planned we might go to Botanic Gardens but we never got that far.  Instead we wandered along the river until we came to a deserted beach.

I walked along the water's edge.  Sylvia and E built a sandcastle of sorts.  Sylvia lay in the sand to make a sand angel (like a snow angel).  We all wrote in the sand and watched the tide wash away our words.  Then we walked back and found ourselves going off the beaten trail into the bush.  At one stage I found myself in a staring contest with a wallaby.  She left first with her joey in her pouch.  We checked out the old canons and headed back to the cottage.

Another walk meant another visit to a cafe for a sugar fix.  This time it was The Hub.  I chose the Tim Tam Cheesecake.  It was every bit as decadent as it sounded.  The huge slice was too much for me to finish but I made a great effort.  As well as layers of chocolate cake, white chocolate cheese cake and milk chocolate cheesecake there was a layer of caramel and a piece of Tim Tam biscuit on top.

Dinner was a simple affair that night.  Boxed curries and naan bread.  We were on holiday and wanted something easy.  It was that sort of holiday.  No wifi, no tv, early nights, lots of good food, lots of the great outdoors, lots of walks, and lots of reading.  By the time we were ready to drive home, I felt refreshed. 

26 comments:

  1. Johanna we stayed at these cottages on your recommendation I think from last years write up and it was so perfect, we love how the cottage was tucked at the very end it was so private and cozy. Me and my daughter loved the little upstairs area we ended up sleeping up there. I love how there were so many books around. Also the location was perfect I do not think we will stay any where else. I am glad you enjoy your trip. We cannot wait to get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katt - delighted you loved the cottage - it is very cozy but still close to the high street and the river. I hope we might go back there as it is great for kids and sylvia just loves those stairs

      Delete
  2. I cry foul at "lovely corn jacks"! Though my sister would disagree with me, being a corn jack fan! Port Fairy is on our to-do list so your write up is fantastic and I will definitely be referring to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Veganopoulous - corn jacks is as close as I get to dim sims these days and I used to love the dimmys from the fish and chip shop! I still have to post about the Farmers Wife and the cafe on the way home - both have kale salads so you will enjoy that!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a lovely relaxing time - I especially enjoyed the photo from your walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy - I really love Tower Hill and next time way to try a longer walk than the two short walks we did - not sure Sylvia and E agree but once they get walking they are quite happy :-)

      Delete
  4. That sounds a perfect holiday. All the food and scenery looks amazing. Love the look of the cheesecake and the ginger biscuits you made. Silvia has gorwn so tall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - the cheesecake was amazing - I'd love to make one but a slice is really quite enough. Yes Sylvia is growing - she has almost finished her first year of school which is a little scary

      Delete
  5. Port Fairy looks very laid back and relaxing and a great place to unwind. I've often gone back to places like this where I know exactly what I'm in for. I love the look of your 'hands' gingerbread cookies. And that's a great looking meal of fish and chips - when I'm holidaying is about the only time I ever eat fish and chips and it seems to go hand in hand with holidaying xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - sylvia chose the gingerbread shapes - port fairy is a really lovely seaside town - my family started going there years ago for the folk festival when it goes crazy but it is very relaxed outside festivals. And I don't eat fish and chips often so they are a real treat when we have them, esp as we had them often when kids so they make me all nostalgic (I suspect this is why I refer to them as fish and chips even though I don't eat fish)

      Delete
  6. I must admit that we always try somewhere new if we can to stay and visit! But I can see that there are advantages to staying a the same place. The Tim Tam cheesecake looks insanely good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I think having Sylvia has encouraged me to stay in the same place - kids love familiar places and also limit our options for places to go. But even without her I could see ourselves doing the same place. Yes the tim tam cheesecake was rich and decadent

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you had a great holiday. We were supposed to be away just now and heading home today, but I hurt my foot, so that was that. I shall live vicariously through you. Loving those little gingerbread biscuits by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac - sorry to hear your holiday has been postponed (I hope postponed rather than cancelled) The gingerbread biscuits is one of my favourite recipes to make - great for school lunches and snacks and they last ages. Hope you get your holiday soon and your foot is feeling better

      Delete
  8. My family always vacationed in the same place every year and it was definitely nice to be able to go back to old favorites and not constantly feel like you had to be a tourist! Glad to hear you had so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - we had a mix of holidays in different places and a few places we went back to lots of times. I like your comment that you don't feel like a tourist when you have visited a place lots of times - definitely helps take you off the regular tourist track

      Delete
  9. Johanna, so great to hear from you about the photo class! And it sounds like you're doing well; can't believe the little one is now so big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karlyn - lovely to hear from you too - Sylvia seems very grown up now she is getting towards the end of her prep year

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful, classically Australian holiday. I'm glad you managed to get back and enjoy some of your favourite spots from last time, as well as discovering new ones. It looks like the food delivered nicely!

    We didn't tend to revisit the exact same places on holidays, but because WA doesn't have a whole lot of places to drive to, inevitably we would be in the same region and visiting some of the same cafes / attractions. It does lend a coziness to holidays that is quite different to exploring new regions with the excitement but also stress that entails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - Victoria has lots of places I still haven't been but I think my fondness for the Great Ocean Road region and my family's love of the place has made it a good one to return to. But there are still lots of places I'd love to visit, yet it is a matter of working out where to stay and that there is to do there which gets harder with Sylvia.

      Delete
  11. What a trip! What to say - so many beautiful sights and delicious food. I LOVE Sylvia's princess bush walking outfit, very cute. I also love easy dinners like bread and veggies and dip - right up my alley. Also I was just talking about fish and chips the other day, and how good it is unwrapping the paper to eat it from. My pet hate is going to fish and chip shops who serve in cardboard boxes...what the?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caeli - yes the princess dress is probably not always standard bushwalking garb but she didn't have much choice of outfits. And I am so with you about just having the fish and chips wrapped without a box - I am always suspicious of places that serve fish and chips in boxes - why oh why!

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful trip, we went to Port Fairy for the first time a few years ago and loved it, so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cate - port fairy is such a great place to relax - I love a place with seaside and bush.

      Delete
  13. Sounds like an absolutely wonderful holiday. Looks gorgeous there!
    Love the pictures =) And the unicorn face painting looks worth the wait ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes it’s nice to go back to somewhere that’s removed, secluded, private, and relaxing! For instance, we go to Sun River, which is sort of similiar to the place you described (parks, trees, nature, cabin houses, etc), that’s where everyone in the west (even the east coast) goes when it comes to a relaxing holiday. I’m glad you and your family had a wonderful time there! Thank you Johanna for sharing these moments with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)