Saturday 9 February 2013

In my kitchen - February 2013

It seems that life has been busier than my kitchen activities lately.  However in my kitchen is much to remind me of the good things in my life.  Starting with the top photo of some of the everyday.  Most days start with porridge for breakfast.  Sylvia is loving her dolly from her cousin, is constantly carting around tiny and little things.  And is the background is one of our beloved tea towels.

In my kitchen are reminders of our holiday to Edinburgh late last year.  I was very excited to be able to buy smoked salt at the supermarket by where we were staying.  Back in Melbourne I have to go to a specialty shop.  Though would I appreciate it as much if it was as easy to buy.

In my kitchen are mini fudge chunks I bought at Sainsbury's in Edinburgh.  They are precious because I've never seen them in Melbourne.  I still haven't used them as I want to use them in something special.  I am still not sure what.  I never expected them to get through Customs.  Yet I did.  I had been more excited about the yellow and purple popping corn.  They took that away from me.  Australian Customs works in mysterious ways!

In my kitchen is Scottish food.  The Campbells shortbread was a gift.  I didn't eat it but E found it pleasing.  The oatcakes are from David Jones department store in Melbourne.  I bought them for us because we all loved them so much in Edinburgh.

In my kitchen are edible confetti stars.  So so cute.  I bought them intending to make these chocolate witches hats or maybe it was these Christmas tree brownies.  Thus far I have only used them to decorate chocolate almond fudge.

In my kitchen is curly kale.  From the supermarket!  It is quite exciting because until recently I have only found black kale (aka Tuscan kale, cavolo nere or dinosaur kale) in Melbourne, and once I found purple kale.  This curly green kale cooks quicker than black kale and I think it is the one that is used in the oft-blogged massaged kale salad.  Another salad to try.

In my kitchen is the handset for our landline.  We lost it recently for a few days.  Sylvia found it in an unexpected hidey hole in her room.  We don't know how it got there but have a few theories.  I include it here as I realise that landlines are becoming quite old fashioned.  Yet I am very attached to ours.

In my kitchen are rice cakes.  When we went to Edinburgh my sister-in-law kindly asked for suggestions of food to leave for us when we arrived in our holiday flat.  I suggested rice crackers because Sylvia loves them.  It seems that rice crackers aren't so common in Scottish supermarkets.  My sister-in-law bought us rice cakes instead.  We have been eating them a lot ever since.  I love the soy and linseed ones.  E loves the balsamic vinegar and sea salt ones.  Sylvia loves the chocolate ones.

In my kitchen is verjuice.  It was a birthday present.  Hitherto a mystery to me.  Now a delight.  I have only used it once in a risotto that I will share soon.  I can't wait to try it in more recipes.

In my kitchen we had Dal Makhani and Palak Paneer for dinner recently.  It was inspired by leftover cream and yoghurt from my birthday cranachan.  It was satisfying to eat them together.  When I first blogged the Dal Makhani I meant to make Palak Paneer on the same night to eat with it.  My gut instinct in serving them together was right.  Delicious!

In my kitchen is yoghurt cheese.  I am intrigued but yet to find a way to serve it.  I had thought it would go well on kale and olive pizza.  Perhaps it would be good in a salad but I am not sure which one.  Or spread on a sturdy slice of bread.

In my kitchen are new cookbooks that I received for my birthday.  My sister in Ireland sent me a cookbook from her neck of the woods.  Bread scones stories and songs is written by Breezy.  I have already tried one loaf of bread and will write more about it soon.  The other book is the River Cottage Veg Every Day cookbook.

In my kitchen is another intriguing birthday present.  Lemon myrtle shortbread.  Now that is one shortbread I had to taste.  We haven't finished it yet but I will be very sad when I do.  It is absolutely delicious.  Buttery with just a hint of lemon myrtle.

In my kitchen are souvenirs from my trip to Auckland, New Zealand last week.  I wasn't there long but it was very enjoyable.  My favourite purchase was the cat babushka dolls.  Just perfect for my little Sylvia.  More on the trip soon.  Meanwhile it has left me quite tired.

I am sending this post to Celia for her In my Kitchen event.

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun kitchen, to me. Your Indian meal looks great! And yay for kale! I actually prefer the lacinato kale to the curly kind, although the curly kind makes better chips since it has a bigger leaf. Can't wait to see what you make. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet - thanks for the reminder of kale chips - I knew there were a few things I could make with curly kale that I haven't tried because I usually have the tuscan variety - must try kale chips

      Delete
  2. I love rice cakes and shortbread and most of the goodies in your kitchen. The cat baboushka dolls are really cute- thanks for sharing your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidiannie - the cat baboushka dolls are perfect for our house or should I say purrfect - they are even musical cat!

      Delete
  3. You went to New Zealand? You have been having a busy time! I suppose it is a bit closer to you than to us, but in my mind that is a long way to go for a few days - I hope it was productive / enjoyable.

    My heart did a little flip flop when I saw your Sainsbury's packages, which is quite ridiculous really. Still, I wish we had bought more UK products back with us! I also like those oatcakes and rice cakes, both plain and flavoured (although the flavoured are inevitably too salty and I regret them an hour after eating them). Verjuice is still a mystery to me so I will look forward to seeing what you use it for, and ditto hearing about your new cookbooks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kati - it has been busy - will write up about new zealand when I get a chance but was glad I went even though I didn't feel I had the time for it - glad you enjoy seeing my sainsbury purchases as much as I do. Have just posted about verjuice - highly recommend trying it as you could taste it in the risotto I made. And am very pleased with myself at using my new cookbooks already. Lots of posts in the pipeline

      Delete
  4. What a full kitchen you have this month, Johanna, even though you've been busy! I can see why Sylvia is in love with her doll - it's gorgeous! I'd really like to know what you think of the Cornish salt - I saw some on sale at a specialty food supplier recently - it seems to be the latest big thing! Oh, and we're very attached to our landline too - I have a speaker handset in the kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celia - Dolly is gorgeous - I think the more shabby they get the more real they get! (that's dolls not kids!) I haven't opened my salt yet as am still finishing another smoked salt but must report back.

      Delete
  5. What great finds in your kitchen Johanna! I love labne and usually have it spread on toast or in a salad-it's very versatile (and easy to make too!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I noticed that you had made these yoghurt cheese but was not sure if they were the same as labne - may just try making them some time - they are delicious - ours are marinated in chilli, garlic and rosemary

      Delete
  6. So many lovely things you have in your kitchen Johanna. The bread scones stories looks fun and I was very pleased to see that Cornwall is well represented :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)