Tuesday 6 July 2010

Falafel for E, Pizza for Sylvia

Last night I got home from work and told E that I had decided we would have falafel for dinner. I had bought some falafel on special and it's best-by date was yesterday. He looked at me in surprise and said, but we had most of them for lunch. Necessity being the mother of invention, dinner morphed into falafel pizza on turkish bread.

I love trying different pizza toppings. Last night it was inspired by the contents of the fridge: mashed pumpkin, ricotta, steamed broccoli, diced tomato, crumbled falafel, and grated mozzarella cheese on top of two halves of a small turkish bread baked in a hot oven for about 10-15 minutes. Delicious.

Most amusing was my help in the kitchen. Sylvia was grizzly so I put her in the high chair by me and placed the turkish bread on the tray in front of her. She was fascinated by the ricotta and kept digging a chubby finger in it. She also enjoyed sprinkling some of the toppings on it. But when it came out of the oven, she turned up her nose and left it to E and me to enjoy it.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: NCR Quinoa, Cabbage and Corn Soup
This time two years ago:
Corn bread, borscht and common sense
This time three years ago:
Mexicale Pie - an old favourite

On the Stereo:
Early Morning Hush - Notes from the UK Folk Underground 1969-1976: Various Artists

17 comments:

  1. Ah Johanna, but did you not realise that Sylvia was in her way cooking for others! I see a little cook in the making.

    The pizza is the kind of fast food I'd happily eat. You know exactly whats gone into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe it sounds like she was a lot of help in the kitchen! Who knew that ricotta could keep a child amused? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfully creative meal!!! I am a big fan of ricotta and bet that it would have worked perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ingenious! It's recipes like this that make me feel silly for being so uninterested by pizza... I think I need to remind myself that "pizza" isn't just doughy mush with tomato sauce on top... :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...great idea for ricotta...it sure looks yummie! Like using up the leftovers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds delicious, Johanna! It's nearly midnight and I want FALAFEL PIZZA!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mango Cheeks - I think you are right about Sylvia cooking for us - she seems to love feeding me if she can so I am sure cooking is in her game plan. I know what you mean about preferring pizza where you know the ingredients and have control over them

    Thanks Lorraine - ricotta is a fickle beast - kept Sylvia amused when on our pizza but was of less interest when I gave her some on pumpkin scones (just like she enjoyed raw tortellini yesterday but wouldn't eat the cooked ones!)

    Thanks Lisa - I still feel a little hesitant about using ricotta but am glad I am finding ways to enjoy it

    Thanks Hannah - the world is your oyster when it comes to pizza toppings and if you are recalcitrant like me when it comes to making the base, you can use pita bread, turkish bread or pre made bases - it is worth it to have fun with toppings

    Thanks Juliana - it helped the 2 falafel go further, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Anh - the leftovers were had late and night and for breakfast - great any time of day

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to use leftovers! Must try it with all the junk in my fridge. Thanks for stopping by my blog, yours is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right, this DOES sound delicious. Falafel on pizza! What a great idea. And I bet I could make a great tofu ricotta that would fit in perfectly with all those other toppings. I am going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL - Sylvia obviously enjoyed makin git, even if she didn't want to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy creation out of fridge leftovers! Mine never turn out so appetizing looking haha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is inspired Johanna. I love it! Oh, I am so hungry now. I want a slice. I am going to try something similar tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Nummmm - would love to see what pizza you would produce from your fridge - am sure it would have some interesting inspiration

    Thanks Ricki - tofu ricotta sounds interesting and I am sure it would go well on this pizza

    Thanks Cakelaw - it is one of nature's quirks that sylvia enjoys playing with food more than eating it all too often (and eating non-food if given the chance)

    Thanks Ashley - mine don't always look so good either - I spare you the ugly ones :-)

    Thanks Jacqueline - good luck - leftovers can seem so much better oh pizza

    ReplyDelete
  15. Inspired by left overs in the frige has proven to be some really excellent meals. I think it means you start with really good left-overs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm planning on making falafels soon........but smeared over pizza sounds pretty good too!!!!!!!! Did I mention they look lovely.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Falafel turkish pizza sound and looks amazing. Sylvia has obviously intereted your love of cooking

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)