Wednesday 12 August 2015

Pumpkin, pecan and poppyseed scones and my first light box photos

It is International Scone Week so I obliged the scone gods and got out my thinking cap.  I really wanted to make scones a bit like Karen's pumpkin, walnut, poppyseed and cheddar muffins but I wanted them vegan so I checked on my kale scones for ideas.  These are not at all traditional scones.  They are filled with so many bits that they like a meal in a scone.

In fact one of the things I love about scones is how easy they are to whip up.  Unless you go all fancy like these scones and spend ages roasting pumpkin, frying caramelised onion, toasted pecans and then dealing with the awkwardness of kneading dough full of bits.  It was worth it!

I like to spend my energy on one component of the meal and go easy on the rest of it.  So I served these scones with some salad that was helped along with some leftover salad dressing.  It was a fantastic meal as I am in need of lots of vegies after all my baking over the weekend.

In fact I loved these scones so much that it inspired me to finally drag the fold up light box that has been in the car for a week or two after my brother loaned it to me.  Considering I had only been shown it once, it was pretty easy to set up.  My main problem is finding space to set it up and plug in two power cords.

The other problem with a light box is that it is all very well to think that I might spend some time photographing dinner but a lot of the meals I post are my dinner.  Though I might stop to snap a few photos before we eat, it is more important to sit and eat with the family than to spend ages setting up a pretty photo.  Sometimes I manage to photograph leftovers the next day if there is food leftover and it is in good shape.  But this is not always practical.

However for nights when I can photograph some food later in the evening a light box would be great.  I would recommend this Optex Portable Photo Studio and Lighting Kit because it did improve my evening photography.  Though my brother cautioned that it needs a macro lens (which I own).  I just wish I had a space where I could set it up permanently.  (Alternatively you could try making a homemade lightbox.)  Then I would probably need a tripod camera set up.  Sigh!  There is always something else.

I am a huge fan of the classic Aussie pumpkin scones.  Sadly Sylvia does not like pumpkin so I don't make them so often.  However I live in hope that she will come round as her young tastebuds mature and remember how much she loved pumpkin as a baby.  Not yet.  She wouldn't eat these scones.

I cut back on seasoning because the recent kale scones were too intense.  I thought it was a mistake when these pumpkin scones were warm but once cooled I was pleased that I hadn't overwhelmed the sweet pumpkin flavour.


With the onion, these are definitely savoury but you could easily omit the onion, add a little sweetener and make these an interesting vehicle for jam and cream.  Either way I can highly recommend having a batch of these warm out of the oven wrapped in a tea towel to make your kitchen feel homely.

I am sending theses to Tandy at Lavender and Limes who has stood in for Celia as host of International Scone Week.  I am also sending them to Tea Time Treats, Extra Veg Challenge and Healthy Vegan Fridays #59.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: Chocolate and cranberry scones - for International Scone Week
Two year ago: Beetroot, apple and walnut scones for International Scone Week
Three years ago: Treacle gingerbread and more Open House Melbourne
Four years ago: Canberra - of modern museums
Five years ago: NCR Carrot and Fennel Soup
Six years ago: Carrot Cake and the Lost Sock
Seven years ago: Easy as Vegetable Pie
Eight years ago: The Enchanted Broccoli Forest

Pumpkin Pecan and Poppyseed Scones
An original Green Gourmet Giraffe recipe
Makes about 18 scones

1 1/4 cup milk  (I used soy)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cups white self raising flour*
1 cup wholemeal self raising flour*
2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 tsp mustard
3/4 tsp salt flakes
50g margarine or butter
1 cup roasted diced pumpkin*
1/2 cup caramelised onion*
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1/4 cup pecans, toasted and chopped

To assemble:
extra wholemeal flour for dough
milk for glazing
poppy seeds for sprinkling

Mix milk with lemon juice and set aside to sour.

Place flours, nutritional yeast, mustard and salt in a large mixing bowl.  Rub in margarine until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in pumpkin, onion, pecans and poppyseeeds.

Make a hole in the centre and pour in milk to make a soft dough.  If it is slightly sticky sprinkle some flour on it. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead briefly until it comes together into a smooth dough.

Gently pat dough to about 1.5cm thick.  Use a scone cutter or glass dipped in flour to cut out scones.  Place on a tray lined with baking paper (or greased and floured) with about 1 cm between each scone.  Glaze with milk and then sprinkle on poppy seeds (just a few so you can still see when the top bakes).

Bake scones for 15 to 20 minutes until they are golden brown.  Wrap in a tea towel.  They are best on the day of baking but also great the next day.

*NOTES: 
  • To make vegan scones, use a vegan milk and margarine.  
  • I roasted the pumpkin with a drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt until crisp and slightly charred around the edge.  Most of the pumpkin got mooshed into the dough but a few pieces held their shape.  
  • To caramelise the onions, I finely sliced 2 red onions, chopped the slices into about 4 pieces each and fried them in some olive oil for about 15 minutes on medium high and 15 minutes on low heat.  Then I stirred in a good pinch of salt and a tablespoon of brown sugar.  I continued to fry until all the sugar had melted.  This made about 1/2 cup.  
  • To make self raising flour, add 1 tsp baking powder for each 1/2 cup of flour.

On the stereo:
1989: Taylor Swift

40 comments:

  1. These look wonderful! Pumpkin is rare here but I'd probably try substituting some sweet potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cate - sorry to hear you can't find pumpkin easily but I agree sweet potato would work well here

      Delete
  2. oooh these look nice-- can't believe I've already forgotten about scone week and I had my scone recipe all imagined out! Thanks for the tips on the light box, I'll head down that route as I'm getting tired of taking dinner photos during lunch time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - glad you got into the scone week baking - I still haven't use the light box much but when I have it has been great

      Delete
  3. I had no idea it was scone week. But I ate some yesterday, so...ha! I am very exited about the idea to add roasted onions to a scone recipe. Roasted onions make everything better.
    I agree with you that it's hard to use a lightbox when there are people waiting who actually want to eat the food. I also don't really have space for mine. But since the lights that came with it were crappy anyway, I don't care that much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mihl - scone week is a blogger creation but one I love - obviously you had picked up on it by osmosis if you are eating them this week :-) That's a shame about your light box but I guess you could call on it if you are desperate

      Delete
  4. Hi Johanna, love roasted pumpkin, your scones look amazing. I have never used a lightbox, but it sounds like one would sure help me with the quality of night time pictures. Happy ISW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheri - I think I am lucky to have a light box to experiment with on loan because they were a mystery to me

      Delete
  5. I so want that light box! I love that your scones are a meal. Thank you for taking part :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tandy - so happy you have kept International Scone Week going

      Delete
  6. Having tried some savoury vegan scones over the years these look wonderful to me and I love the varied texture. I also love your photos and the behind the scenes look at your loaned light box. I have the same struggle with dinner photos - even if it is light, as it often is here now (unless rainy!), I want to sit down and eat with Mr B not faff around for ages with photography. I could try harder with leftovers though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - photography is such a problem with food blogging at time as it has become all about photography because it is the closest we get to tasting it and because so much social media now depends on good photography but really sitting down at a good meal with family is to be valued. It is good when I can work with leftovers but is not always practical

      Delete
  7. They look utterly tasty and gorgeous to the eyes. We have a light box thingie, but I often found it to be a bit artificial. We haven't used it since we moved to Wales, plus we don't have space in our dark home, but hubbie is thinking about a setting up a space in one of the rooms and getting some brighter lights. I have made so many meals that have never been shared because of lighting, may reconsider after seeing your fab results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - I know what you mean about not sharing meals because of lighting - I still use my fluro light in the kitchen at times but sometimes I am too busy to take a photo and think it a shame as it was a good meal. Good luck with your light box

      Delete
  8. Oh wow - you have outdone yourself with these scones! They look amazing.
    And the lightbox is great! I should probably get one. You'd think living in California the days would be so long, but they seem shorter than back in Canada.
    Thanks for sharing at Healthy Vegan Fridays! I'm pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim - I was pretty happy with my effort - I think I know what you mean about days being shorted in California - I guess you mean in summer - same with Melbourne and Edinburgh

      Delete
  9. A lot of the food I need to photograph is actually our dinner, too. I'm definitely looking into that light box!
    And what delicious scones! I just love a baked good that can be eaten at all the meals in a day. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda - these scones can definitely be eaten for three meals a day - and I would be happy to eat them all day :-) Good luck with looking into lightboxes

      Delete
  10. I really wanted to make scones this week once I got back but then I realised that Mr NQN didn't do the grocery shopping so I have no flour. Waaah! I really wanted to participate :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I confess to being flabbergasted at no flour - we always have at least 3 types of wheat flour plus gf flours so we never have no flour - hope you fixed that pronto! And there is always next year with scone week

      Delete
  11. I do love pumpkin scones and I like how you've added pecans for a bit of crunch. I think that new light box will prove invaluable xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - my light box is on loan so I guess I had better return it some time :-(

      Delete
  12. I love that these have so much good for you stuff packed into them! They are getting me in the mood for all things pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - they did feel pretty healthy - I am shameless in eating pumpkin all year round but I love your seasonal celebration of pumpkin

      Delete
  13. Wow I love the look of these. Such a beautiful colour too. I can imagine eating them with a wedge of cheese or even some cinnamon spiced cream cheese for a sweeter option. It's going to be a scone weekend I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - I love your serving ideas - I was thinking of eating them with baby spinach, cheese and chutney but I think I mostly ate them as they were because they were so tasty

      Delete
  14. Lovely scones! And wow, a lightbox would definitely be nice...you're right though, there always seems to be something else that is needed. Sometimes I wish I didn't know about these things - then I wouldn't 'need' them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caeli - I am looking forward to spring when I don't need to think about lightboxes - but my brother is very helpful in talking to me about photography stuff as he is much more into it than me

      Delete
  15. What a very healthy and interesting combination Johanna! These look really delicious and love your photos too! Glad we are connected through our love of scones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - scones is a great way to bring people together - nothing like fresh scones and a cuppa

      Delete
  16. How scrumptious looking! I love pumpkin scones, the addition of poppy seeds is nice. I'll have to try these sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gretchen - I feel I need more poppy seeds in my life so this was a good way to use it (then I put poppy seeds on sausage rolls recently and sylvia suddenly decided she didn't like sausage rolls any more - argh!)

      Delete
  17. What a lovely flavour combination in your scone Johanna, a meal in itself. I love how you served them alongside a salad too. I too have a lightbox. Its great to play about with food, angles, lighting and the all important props! Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty - scones and salad is my idea of a good easy meal. I really need to play with the light box and props and backgrounds more - if I can find time!!!!

      Delete
  18. I love all the goodies in these scones. They look Delish. It would be great to have a lightbox. My night time photos are terrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry - night time photography is tough for all of us but sometimes it has a certain atmosphere - a lightbox is a helpful in finding the light thought

      Delete
  19. Beautiful scones and great photos I could do with getting a lightbox though finding pace for a permanent set up is tricky...
    Love how you served these alongside salad for a meal. Thanks for sharing with #ExtraVeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen - it is finding the space for a permanent light box set up that is the most challenging for me

      Delete
  20. They are very good photos for a first timer with a lightbox. I am dreading the winter and having to use artificial light again. Thanks for linking to #extraveg

    ReplyDelete
  21. THANKS so much for this wonderful entry into Tea Time Treats! LOVE the recipe and photos so much! Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)