Friday 11 May 2012

WW Ricki's buckwheat pancakes

It has not been a good week for bread.  I meant to make some during the week but I found I didn't have enough flour.  Then I meant to buy some at the shops and clean forgot.  That is my excuse for making pancakes after dinner last night.  After all, if you can't have some bread with dinner, pancakes for afters will suffice very nicely.

The pancakes in question were from a Diet Dessert and Dogs recipe that Ricki called Quick and Easy, High-Protein Single Serve Breakfast Pancakes.  I have had it in mind over the last few weeks since I first saw it.  I am always impressed by the creative use of gluten free ingredients and interesting flavours in her recipes.  My kitchen is quite different to Ricki's, so I made some changes.  I don't have protein powder in my pantry, I find buckwheat flour easier than grinding groats and I used coconut sugar rather than stevia.  I also forgot the cinnamon.  

The mixture was quite unlike any pancake mixture I have used before.  It was quite thin at first and then became rather thick but it made thinner pancakes than Ricki's.  Nevertheless it came together really quickly.  It was ready to eat by the time Sylvia was out of the bath.

I served it with a little margarine and maple syrup.  Sylvia loves maple syrup so I expected her to enjoy them but she wouldn't eat the pancakes (she did try to lick the maple syrup off).  E on the other hand was a big fan.  I think he was surprised to hear they were vegan and gluten free.  The pancakes weren't very sweet but they were very substantial and a great way to finish the meal.

I am sending these back to Ricki for her Wellness Weekends.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: CC Crunchy Salad, Tofu Nuggets and Sylvia
Two years ago: Mothering Oat and Cranberry Biscuits
Three years ago: PPN Cavolo Nero and Chickpea Pasta
Four years ago: Creamy Green Lasagne for Beautiful Bones
Five years ago: Seeking carrot dip in a sea of recipes

Ricki's Buckwheat Pancakes
Adapted from Diet Dessert and Dogs
serves 2-3

2 tbsp (15 ml) tahini
3/4 cup soy milk
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
2 tbsp rice flour
2 tbsp chia seeds, roughly ground
2 tbsp ground linseeds (flax)
1 tsp cinnamon (I forgot)
1 pinch fine sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
butter, margarine or oil for frying

Mix all ingredients together. They will be quite thin at first but after a minute or so they will become quite thick. Heat a large frypan and melt butter or swirl a little oil. Drop 3 generous dessertspoon of mixture into the frypan to make three pancakes and spread a little with the back of the spoon. Fry for a few minutes until a few bubbles appear on the surface (but not as may as regular pancakes) and it dries out slightly. Flip over (should be golden brown) and fry another minute until browned on the other side. Repeat with remaining mixture. We served ours with a little nuttalex margarine and a drizzle of maple syrup.

On the Stereo:

The Love Songs of Burt Bacharach: Various Artists

14 comments:

  1. Yes, these do sound like entirely different pancakes, but still good! :) I think the protein powder does provide quite a bit of bulk, so that might be why yours were thinner. . . not sure. Glad that E, at least, enjoyed them! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ricki - I had thought maybe my use of coconut sugar rather than stevia had made them thinner but I am not at all familiar with protein powders and how they affect baking mixtures

      Delete
  2. What a shame that Sylvia didn't like them but at least E did! :) Can you tell what food she will like on the whole?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I can never say for sure what Sylvia will eat - she can be fickle but she has some things she is likely to eat and pancakes usually fall into this category so I was surprised she didn't like them

      Delete
  3. These look like the sort of pancakes I would enjoy - far more exciting than bread! I imagine they would be good with berries too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I think you would enjoy them - they had a nice texture to them that gave them more substance than the regular white wheat flour pancakes

      Delete
  4. Stop tempting me! I just bought chickpea flour, I must use that before buying buckwheat flour as well! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hannah - but I have lots of besan recipes - you probably don't appreciate besan brownies but I highly recommend a besan fritatta! (though maybe some besan in this instead of rice flour or even instead of the buckwheat might be quite good - ricki says they work well with all sorts of flours)

      Delete
    2. And you must try besan crackers

      Delete
  5. I should do this...next time I want bread but don't have any..make pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious, I'll definitely be trying these. My little girl, also called Sylvia, loves pancakes so hopefully she'll love these healthy ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - hope your sylvia appreciates them more than my sylvia :-)

      Delete
  7. I would rather have pancakes than bread any day - bring them on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)