Saturday 2 April 2011

WHB: Plum and Cinnamon Oat Slice

Can you believe that this week I got down to one recipe in my blogging backlog! It rarely happens but is probably due to the kitchen renovations. We lived on a pot of plain old curry (like this one) for most of last week. Then over the last three days I have baked cheese biscuits, strawberry muffins and plum oat slice.

Expect to see the biscuits and muffins soon but today I am going to tell you about the plum and oat slice because it is my favourite of the three. While I am a firm believer in delayed gratification, I want to send it to Susan of the Well Seasoned Cook for this week's Weekend Herb Blogging #277, the event coordinated by Haalo and founded by Kalyn.

I bought the plums earlier in the week and found Delia Smith's recipe for Plum and Cinnamon Oat Slices. Then an old housemate Nicki G emailed to say our old house was on the market (for a cool $1.5 million) so she was throwing a lunch in memory of our household. Will, another former housemate, also came along. I decided to postpone baking the slice because I knew they would also enjoy it.

This morning Sylvia and I made the slice at the kitchen table. We ate quite a few slices of plum while we prepared it. I chopped plums and she transferred it between her bowls. Sylvia had to make a few trips to Little Dolly in the little cot to give her some slices of plum. (She must be the best fed dolly in Melbourne.)

There was some drama when it came to pressing mixture into the bottom of the tin. Sylvia loved pressing her chubby little hands into the squidgy mixture but then decided to dig it up. That was when E took her away in tears. I had found the recipe via C's blog and was aware that I needed to keep back as much of the mixture for the topping. Nevertheless, I still had a few bits of plum poking through the topping.

I took the slice out of the oven and drove to Nicki's place with E holding hot slice on his knee. Nicki had prepared a wonderful feast. Chilled beetroot soup, spinach flan and a coleslaw salad. It was amusing as we ate lunch to watch Poppy and Sylvia in their high chairs eyeing each other off. As soon as Poppy got cheese sandwiches or blueberries, Sylvia wanted some - though she wasn't that interested in Poppy's pickle or dried figs.

I get a bit nervous when sharing a cake or slice that I haven't had a chance to taste. This one smelled so good as it came out of the oven and tasted every bit as delicious. It was still a little warm, hence a little soft, but sliced up fine. This slice was dense and crumbly, with lots of oaty texture and the jammy plum filling. Wonderful warm with a spoonful of vanilla ice cream. Everyone loved it, except Poppy who preferred her pickle! This is definitely a slice I will make again.

We meant to leave earlier but it was so relaxing to sit outside in the garden. Sylvia running under the fig tree, Poppy collecting gum nuts, Will browsing through Nicki's latest magnum opus (a graphic novel of Hamlet), and the rest of us nursing hot drinks and chewing the fat. A perfect way to spend a sunny afternoon in autumn!

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: Apocalyptic Dreams, Hot Cross Buns and Banana Nutella Cake
This time two years ago: Pooh Bear Honey Slice
This time three years ago: Seduced by Strawberries and a Pudding

Plum and Cinnamon Oat Slice
From Delia Online
makes about 15 slices
  • 450g (1 lb) fresh plums
  • 1 rounded teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 225g (8 oz) butter
  • 110g (4 oz) brown sugar
  • 150g (5 oz) rolled oats
  • 275g (10 oz) plain wholemeal flour
  • 1 level teaspoon salt (I didn't use)
Pre-heat the oven to 200 C (400 F) or 180 C (350 F) if you are using a fan forced oven. Grease and line a slice tin (mine is 28 x 18 cm - Delia's is a little smaller).

Cut eat plum in half and remove stone. If your plums aren't quite ripe - like some of mine - and the stone is not coming away easily, cut the half with the stone into quarters. Discard stones and thinly slice plums. Toss with cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.

Place butter and sugar together in a medium to large saucepan and place over low heat until butter melted OR place butter and sugar in medium to large heatproof bowl and heat in microwave until butter is melted. Stir in flour, oats and salt (if using). Delia says this is so stiff you are best advised to mix with your hands but I didn't find it hard to stir it with a spoon.

Spread about a third of the oat mixture along the bottom of the prepared tin. Use your hands to press and spread the mixture. Evenly scatter the plums over the mixture. Now evenly dot the remaining mixture along the top and use your hands to spread mixture to cover the plums. This is harder than doing the bottom layer, which is why you save as much as possible to spread on the top layer. If a few bits of plums peep through that is fine.

Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown. (I did 40 minutes and it was a nice golden brown.) Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes. Use a sharp knife to mark into 15 squares. Serve warm with ice cream or let cool in the tin.

On the Stereo:
Just enough education to perform: Stereophonics

14 comments:

  1. I adore cinnamon, oats, and plums, and have in fact been eating all these three items every day this week! Might have to try these soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks lovely Johanna!

    Is it wrong that I am now looking forward to autumn and we have not had summer yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely Johanna - I'm so pleased that you enjoyed it! I think it's great that you involve Sylvia so much in what you're making in the kitchen - I'm sure this will pay off when she's older!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baking with plums is my most favorite way to enjoy the fruit. Thanks so much for sharing your sweet WHB recipe (and charming sunflower dishware)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks wonderful. I make lots of crisps but haven't used plums lately. Thanks for reminding me how good they can be.
    Baking with kids is always an adventure. I try to involve my toddler in the kitchen, and I am constantly finding her with her hands in places they shouldn't be. Last week, we found some clementine slices in our spinach quiche. She was helping me cook, and I suppose she thought it would make for a good combination. She may have a bit more learning to do before she can start crafting recipes of her own, but it is fun to have her with me in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh sylvia sounds adorable! Even if she did want to dig up the bottom of this dessert.

    I am now kicking myself for not picking up the cheap plums I saw at the store the other day! This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you've found this recipe Johanna - it's a old favourite of mine and very lovely. I've also made it with damsons which worked well but needs a bit more sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This slice looksand sounds delicious Johanna - plums and oats are asuper combination. I also love your presentation on the sunflower plates - cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my - what a wonderful way to use plums!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Hannah - should I really be suggesting they are better with butter and sugar - probably not but they are so so good

    Thanks Helen - autumn is totally underrated - yes of course you should look forward to it

    Thanks C - much appreciated your nod in Delia's direction - and yes I am sure sylvia's experience will pay off in the kitchen - she will know how to cook even if she doesn't love it :-)

    Thanks Susan - I never use enough plums in baking but when I do I want to buy a whole box and bake with them - they are so good (and the plates aren't mine but I bought some like them because I loved Nicki's set that we had in our share house)

    Thanks Rivki - that story of the clementine in the spinach quiche is great - maybe you have a young molecular gastronomist in your midst :-) kids are lots of fun in the kitchen

    Thanks Joanne - she is adorable even when contrary - and I too often pass by plums

    Thanks Sophie - I hope it will become an old favourite of mine - though I am not sure I will ever find the damsons to try in it - but I like how delia suggests using any fruit in it

    Thanks Cakelaw - it is a great combination - and as I said above the plates aren't mine but it is always a delight to have a new setting to photograph for the blog

    Thanks Lisa - oh yes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum! I was trying to make something similar recently and it didn't come out nearly as well as yours looks. I wanted to give the last of the plums a fitting goodbye dish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipe, and awesome presentation too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That does sound remarkably good--both the slice and the afternoon! A great way to use plums. And what a lovely image of you sitting by a fig tree--something you'd never see here, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to get down to 1 recipe in my backlog!! :) Even though I'm not a big fan of fruit in desserts, this oat slice looks so cozy that I had to save the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)