Saturday 15 January 2011

Cookbook Challenge 2011

Update 31.12.2011: Now that the Cookbook Challenge is over for 2011, I have compiled a list of what I made and kept my working notes and ideas on the challenge at the bottom of the list.

Week 1 Saturday 1/01/2011 Stonefruit
Sugar Roasted Peaches from Nigella's How to Eat

Week 2 Saturday 15/01/2011 Citrus
Hal’s stirfry sauce from the Enchanted Broccoli Forrest

Week 3 Saturday 29/01/2011 Rice/noodles

Avocado pickled ginger and tofu soba noodle salad from The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook

Week 4 Saturday 12/02/2011 Love
Cheese heart biscuits from Nigella's How to Eat

Week 5 Saturday 26/02/2011 Outdoors
Dried Fruit and Coconut Balls from the Joy of Vegan Cooking

Week 6 Saturday 12/03/2011 American
Granola Chocolate Chip Cookies from In Search of the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie

Week 7 Saturday 26/03/2011 Celebration
Vegan 'Cheese' and Walnut Nut Roast from Sarah Brown's Vegetarian Cookery

Week 8 Saturday 9/04/2011 Eggs
Cheddar Spoonbread from Mollie Katzen's The Enchanted Broccoli Forest

Week 9 Saturday 23/04/2011 Crunchy
Carrot and Seed Salad from Rose Bakery's Breakfast, Lunch Tea

Week 10 Saturday 7/05/2011 Blue
Moody Blues juice from Juices and Smoothies

Week 11 Saturday 21/05/2011 Cup 
Spicy Chai Tea from How it All Vegan 

Week 12 Saturday 4/06/2011 Spice 
Banana curry with cashew rice from Rose Eliot's Vegetarian Supercook 

Week 13 Saturday 18/06/2011 Dessert 
Orange, Lavender and Almond Syrup Cake from Maria Elia's Modern Vegetarian 

Week 14 Saturday 2/07/2011 Hearty 
Moussaka with mushrooms, lentils and walnuts from Cafe Flora Cookbook 

Week 15 Saturday 16/07/2011 European
Pumpernickel rolls with currants from Still Life with Menu

Week 16 Saturday 30/07/2011 Soups 
A soup of leeks roots and walnuts from Nigel Slater's Tender Vol I 

Week 17 Saturday 13/08/2011 Baked 
Pretzel Buns from Veggie Burgers Every Which Way 

Week 18 Saturday 27/08/2011 Roast 
Roast Corn Salad from Veggie Burgers Every Which Way

Week 19 Saturday 10/09/2011 Green 
Apple Cider Brussels Sprouts from Vegan Yum Yum 

Week 20 Saturday 24/09/2011 Asian 
Tamarind Tempeh with Noodles from Alice Hart's Vegetarian 

Week 21 Saturday 8/10/2011 Childhood 
Cheesy Pumpkin Sausages from Veggie Food for Kids by Sara Lewis

Week 22 Saturday 22/10/2011 Breakfast 
Country grain and soy bread from Julie Stafford's Vegetarian Cookbook 

Week 23 Saturday 5/11/2011 Red 
Red Pepper Hummus with smoked paprika from Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Supercook 

Week 24 Saturday 19/11/2011 Seafood
Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Vegan Brunch 

Week 25 Saturday 3/12/2011 Cool
Strawberry ice cream from Vikki Leng's Vegetarian Feast 

Week 26 Saturday 17/12/2011 Christmas 
Lebkuchen from Annie Rigg's Christmas Cooking with Kids

COOKBOOK CHALLENGE NOTES and IDEAS

January 15/1/2011: This week has seen me sitting on the couch with cookbooks all around me. It is too long since I have had the pleasure (though Zinc was most displeased to have them on her snuggling spot) but there was a good reason! I have decided to join the Cookbook Challenge in 2011.

It is precisely the sort of challenge I usually avoid because I hate signing up to forums and planning too far ahead. Yet I saw Hannah's gorgeous apricot post and between the lure of cooking with stone fruit (for the first fortnight) and the desire to use my cookbooks more, I have put my hand up to be part of the group. I also love the idea that the group is Melbourne-inspired. This means it will give me the opportunity to link up with more local bloggers.

The aim of the cookbook challenge is to cook and post a dish every fortnight according to a theme. I thought it would be a useful activity to set up this page with some ideas of the sort of foods that I could make. Think of it as my support to help me get through 26 weeks of the challenge. (NB I am already starting a fortnight behind.) For more info and to sign up, check out http://community.jeroxie.com/groups/cookbook-challenge/. Update - the content has been removed from this page.

This page will be a work in progress to record each recipe I make and to jot down ideas for recipes from my cookbooks. Excuse its current scrappy state! I hope that this page will be sending me back to books I have been neglecting and giving me cause to browse more that I did last year. For a complete list of cookbooks with more details, go to my cookbook list.

Week 1 Saturday 1/01/2011 Stonefruit
I made Sugar Roasted Peaches from Nigella's How to Eat
  • Peach cherry crisp - Moosewood Cookbook
  • Peachy galettes – Vikki Leng
  • Thai apricot salad - Anne Marshall
  • Poached peaches - Anne Marshall
  • Cherry cheese strudel - The Essential Dessert Cookbook
  • Poached nectarines in mixed spice syrup - The Essential Dessert Cookbook
  • Stone fruit pizza with brie and roasted almonds - Cafe Flora Cookbook
Week 2 Saturday 15/01/2011 Citrus
I made Hal’s stirfry sauce from the Enchanted Broccoli Forrest

Week 3 Saturday 29/01/2011 Rice/noodles

I made Avocado pickled ginger and tofu soba noodle salad from The Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook
  • Rice crusted pumpkin pie – AWW small book (need to find more details)
  • Rice balls - Anne Marshall
  • Brown rice and zucchini bake - Anne Marshall
  • walnut and rice roast - Jean and Sue Easthope
  • brown rice and lentil loaf - alison holst
  • pecan and orange wild rice pilaf - cooking with kurma
  • red kidney bean burgers - sarah brown's vegetarian cooking
  • spiced rice - sarah brown's veg cookbook
Week 4 Saturday 12/02/2011 Love
I made Cheese heart biscuits from Nigella's How to Eat
  • Chocolate sour cherry biscuits – Bourke St Bakery
  • Dark chocolate and raspberry muffins – Bourke St Bakery
  • Chocolate prune brownies – Bourke St Bakery
  • Chocolate raspberry pudding cake - Nigella's How to Eat
  • Tomato and orange soup - entertaining with cranks
  • Tomato and rosemary scones - Vegan Brunch
Week 5 Saturday 26/02/2011 Outdoors
I made Dried Fruit and Coconut Balls from the Joy of Vegan Cooking
  • Carrot and cheese muffins – Anne Marshall
  • Tofu and zucchini balls - Jean and Sue Easthope
  • Cheese nut pate - Still Life with Menu
  • chickpea nibbles - how it all vegan
  • cheese and pumpkin balls - alison holst
Week 6 Saturday 12/03/2011 American
I made Granola Chocolate Chip Cookies from In Search of the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie
  • pumpkin pie - The Essential Dessert Cookbook
  • Red slump - Nigella's How to Eat
  • Corn bread stuffed cabbage with mushroom brandy sauce - Still Life with Menu
  • cheesecake bars - Still Life with Menu
  • Cafe flora vegan coffee cake - cafe flora cookbook
  • Southern brunch platter - cafe flora cookbook
  • Hopping john fritters with cayenne aioli - cafe flora cookbook
  • Tempeh reuben sandwich - vegan with a vengeance
  • zucchini pancakes with avocado and apple salsa - Julie Stafford's Vegetarian cookbook
Week 7 Saturday 26/03/2011 Celebration
I made Vegan 'Cheese' and Walnut Nut Roast from Sarah Brown's Vegetarian Cookery
  • Courgette with fruit and nut filling – Nigel Slater: Tender
  • Pea souffle - Nigella's How to Eat
  • Roast Squash with Mushroom and Kale Stuffing and Gravy - Denis Cotter
  • Tofu loaf - Anne Marshall
  • Chocolate pecan tart - Still Life with Menu
  • Portabello Wellingtons with Maidera Sauce - Cafe Flora Cookbook
Week 8 Saturday 9/04/2011 Eggs
I made Cheddar Spoonbread from Mollie Katzen's The Enchanted Broccoli Forest
  • twice baked cheese souffle???
  • meringue swans - The Essential Dessert Cookbook
  • Spinach souffle paprikash - Still Life with Menu
  • Spoonbread - Enchanted broccoli forest
  • Strawberry meringue tart - still life with menu?
  • Leek and blue cheese souffle - entertaining with cranks
  • Blue cheese and celeriac soup - BBC Good Food Mag 101 Veggie Dishes
Week 9 Saturday 23/04/2011 Crunchy
I made Carrot and Seed Salad from Rose Bakery's Breakfast, Lunch Tea
  • Carrot and seed salad – Rose Bakery
  • Super healthy layered salad - Cranks light
  • potato cakes with capsicum and cashew salsa - Julie Stafford's Vegetarian cookbook
  • vermicelli fruit slaw - Julie Stafford's Vegetarian cookbook
Week 10 Saturday 7/05/2011 Blue
 I made Moody Blues juice from Juices and Smoothies
  • huh? Bridget jones soup?
  • Leek and blue cheese souffle - entertaining with cranks
  • A Risotto of Young Beans and Blue Cheese - tender
  • Celery and blue cheese soup - tender
  • Blueberry and ginger scones - AWW old fashioned favourites
  • Blue blueberries and cream cupcakes - Cupcakes Galore
  • Blue corncakes - cafe flora
Week 11 Saturday 21/05/2011 Cup 
I made Spicy Chai Tea from How it All Vegan
  • Mexican hot chocolate - Stephanie Alexander How to Cook
  • Hot spiced apple and berry cider - Still Life with Menu
  • White wine cup or mixed fruit cup - entertaining with cranks
  • Spice chai tea - how it all vegan
  • Jana's earth's herbal sun tea - how it all vegan
  • Hibiscus sunset, lavender nectar or cranberry ginger cider - cafe flora
Week 12 Saturday 4/06/2011 Spice 
I made Banana curry with cashew rice from Rose Eliot's Vegetarian Supercook
  • Banana curry with cashew rice – Rose Eliot Supercook
  • Golden root vegetable couscous - Nigella's How to Eat
  • Braised carrot with spices and cider - Denis Cotter
  • dahl woth onion and cheese damper - Julie Stafford's Vegetarian cookbook
Week 13 Saturday 18/06/2011 Dessert 
I made Orange, Lavender and Almond Syrup Cake from Maria Elia's Modern Vegetarian
  • maple syrup steamed pud in microwave – Rose Eliot Supercook
  • seven minute steamed microwave chocolate pudding - Nigella How to Eat
  • baked figs - Nigella's How to Eat
  • Banana and blueberry tart - The Essential Dessert Cookbook
  • buttermilk cheesecake with raspberry sauce - The Essential Dessert Cookbook
  • Apple date pudding cake with butterscotch sauce - Early Settlers' Household Lore
Week 14 Saturday 2/07/2011 Hearty 
I made Moussaka with mushrooms, lentils and walnuts from Cafe Flora Cookbook
  • Roast Potato Salad – Nigel Slater: Tender
  • Swede and cheese pastry – Nigel Slater: Tender
  • Moussaka with mushrooms, lentils and walnuts - Cafe Flora Cookbook
Week 15 Saturday 16/07/2011 European
I made Pumpernickel rolls with currants from Still Life with Menu
  • Parsnip risotto – Maria Elia Modern Vegetarian
  • Spring cabbage dolma of pumpkin and chickpeas with sesame yoghurt sauce - Denis Cotter
  • Raisin pumpernickel rolls - Still Life with Menu
  • pumpkin and ricotta cannelloni with leek and mushroom sauce - Julie Stafford's Vegetarian cookbook
  • pfeffernusse???
Week 16 Saturday 30/07/2011 Soups 
I made A soup of leeks roots and walnuts from Nigel Slater's Tender Vol I
  • A rich root and cheese soup – Nigel Slater: Tender
  • A soup of lentils bacon [facon] and chard - Nigel Slater, Tender
  • A soup of roots, leeks and walnuts - Nigel Slater, Tender
  • Green bean and almond soup – Rose Bakery
  • Bean and pesto pots - Veggie Food for Kids
  • Not chicken soup with malkaleh's matzoh balls - Still Life with Menu
Week 17 Saturday 13/08/2011 Baked 
I made Pretzel Buns from Veggie Burgers Every Which Way
  • Maple syrup scones – Rose Bakery
  • Carrot bread – Jim Lahey
  • Orange, lavender and almond syrup cake – Maria Elia Modern Vegetarian
  • Courgette pea and parmesan tart – sainsbury’s try something new
  • Broccoli and cheese strudel - Anne Marshall
  • Potato tart - Early settlers' household lore
  • Scripture cake - Early settlers' household lore
  • cheese and date (scone) ring - Early settlers' household lore
  • banana cheese empanadas - Still Life with Menu
  • yoghurt scones - Still Life with Menu
  • cheese and leek pizza - sarah brown
  • country grain and soy bread - Julie Stafford's Vegetarian cookbook
  • tomato and olive cake - Julie Stafford's Vegetarian cookbook
Week 18 Saturday 27/08/2011 Roast 
I made Roast Corn Salad from Veggie Burgers Every Which Way
  • Chestnut stuff onions, Rose Eliot Supercook
  • Tamari nut roast with tomato sauce - Rose Eliot Supercook
  • Roasted and marinated green beans with onions and garlic - Still Life with Menu
Week 19 Saturday 10/09/2011 Green 
I made Apple Cider Brussels Sprouts from Vegan Yum Yum
  • Pea recipes such as pea and feta crostini- Maria Elia Modern Vegetarian
  • Pea mint and avocado salad - Nigella's How to Eat
  • Salsa verde - Nigella's How to Eat
  • Nettle and potato gnocchi - Denis Cotter
  • Green goddess potato dressing - Still Life with Menu
  • Summer minestrone - Alice Hart
Week 20 Saturday 24/09/2011 Asian 
I made Tamarind Tempeh with Noodles from Alice Hart's Vegetarian
  • Ginger beer-battered tofu with asian mushy peas – Maria Elia Modern Vegetarian
  • Black kale and aubergine spring rolls with ginger and tamarind dipping sauce - Denis Cotter
  • Japanese broth - Cranks light
  • Kung pao tofu - Still Life with Menu
  • Tamarind tempeh with sesame noodles and shredded greens - Alice Hart
Week 21 Saturday 8/10/2011 Childhood 
I made Cheesy Pumpkin Sausages from Veggie Food for Kids by Sara Lewis
  • Zucchini slice with vegan bacon
  • Pavlova - AWW old fashioned favourites
  • Cheesy pumpkin sausages - Veggie Food for Kids
  • Golden syrup dumplings - The Essential Dessert Cookbook 0r AWW
  • Lamingtons - AWW old fashioned favourites
  • College pudding - AWW old fashioned favourites
  • corn and potato cakes on spinach with pumpkin mash - Julie Stafford's Vegetarian cookbook
Week 22 Saturday 22/10/2011 Breakfast 
I made Country grain and soy bread from Julie Stafford's Vegetarian Cookbook
  • Sage onion and apple sausages – Rose Eliot Supercook
  • corn and zucchini muffins - low gi cookbook
  • grilled tomatoes and stuffed mushrooms - low gi cookbook
  • pancakes with tofu, basil and sundried tomato - low gi cookbook
  • pumpkin and honey bread - Julie Stafford's Vegetarian cookbook
Week 23 Saturday 5/11/2011 Red 
I made Red Pepper Hummus with smoked paprika from Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Supercook
  • Raspberry buns – Broons cookbook
  • Beetroot and seed cake – Nigel Slater: Tender
  • Tomato and fig soup with goats cheese bruschetta – Maria Elia Modern Vegetarian
  • Red pepper hummus with smoked paprika – Rose Eliot Supercook
  • Raspberry cheese dip - Still Life with Menu
  • Beetroot cake - Julie Stafford's Vegetarian cookbook
Week 24 Saturday 19/11/2011 Seafood
I made Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Vegan Brunch
  • Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes (inspired by crab cakes) - Vegan Brunch
  • Ocean Chowder - cafe flora cookbook
  • Salad with seaweed??? (vicki leng???)
Week 25 Saturday 3/12/2011 Cool
I made Strawberry ice cream from Vikki Leng's Vegetarian Feast
  • Watermelon panzanella – Maria Elia Modern Vegetarian
  • Pak choi and rice vermicelli salad - Denis Cotter
  • Strawberry and banana ice - The Essential Dessert Cookbook
  • Chilled berry soup - Jean and Sue Easthope
  • raspberry marinated vegetable salad - Still Life with Menu
  • Fruity seasoned peppers (cold and stuffed)- AWW Vegetarian Cooking
Week 26 Saturday 17/12/2011 Christmas 
I made Lebkuchen from Annie Rigg's Christmas Cooking with Kids
  • Christmas galette – Rose Eliot Supercook
  • Cinnamon and plum cake – Maria Elia Modern Vegetarian
  • Summer pudding - AWW old fashioned favourites
  • Nut and wine pate - entertaining with cranks

15 comments:

  1. You know, a list such as this is genius. I should do it too because I'm looking to join in the fun this year but I foresee myself getting VERY behind due to lack of planning. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, thank you so much for the lovely shout-out :) Second, WOW. I'm in awe of your organisational skills! I've actually promised myself to *not* plan ahead, because I'm too liable to get distracted by the themes I'm more interested than others :P

    P.S. I saw a banana curry somewhere recently and really want to make it! If only I could remember where..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, and what a perfect way to make some otherwise overlooked recipes! I'm off to check out the details (though I highly doubt I'd be able to plan that far in advance). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Celeste - it is really a safety net for me and also a prompt to go back to some cookbooks that should get more attention - and shows my paranoia about getting behind!!!

    Thanks Hannah - I expect I will just not do some of these recipes as I will suddenly have a great idea but if it makes me cook a few more of these recipes or even inspires others to get the books, it will be worthwhile

    Thanks Ricki - blog events focusing on cookbooks have been great - I miss the Weekend Cookbook Challenge event which has sadly finished - so many great recipes buried in my shelves

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a fabulous idea too. I made a plan at the start of the year to make more use of all my cookbooks too, though it's a little less ambitious than yours. My plan was to try at least one new recipe (from a book or making my own) at least once a week this year.

    Lots of luck with your project - it sounds like it will be great fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooooooooooh - this should be a good challenge. If only I had the courage to join you ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos to you Johanna for taking the leap. I too shy away from group events. Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love discovering new recipes in my cookbooks from my shelves... but I couldn't imagine being attached to such a lengthy challenge. You have your whole year of food planned out! It helps when you are feeding more than one, I suppose. Great challenge, though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Sophie - I think a new recipe a week is quite ambitious - good luck with your challenge

    Thanks Chele - I am quaking in my boots :-)

    Thanks Louise - fun is the key isn't it!

    Thanks Janet - it is a far more lengthy challenge than I usually do but I wouldn't say it is the year planned out as it is flexible enough and I am sure I will disregard half these ideas when it comes to the crunch - actually I kept thinking I would make a peach cobbler for the first one and then I didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is certainly a challenge and a half Johanna. Did you elect the dishes or were they set?

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMAZING. I love your blog johanna, I know I say it all the time BUT I TRUELY DO!!! you are inspiring to me xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Jacqueline - the themes are set but I have written down some dishes from my cookbook to inspire me and help me keep on track - I see recipes from cookbooks that I want to make and I forget them all too quickly in the whirl of blogging

    Thanks Carla - just keep saying it - I love to hear your praise :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like it will be a lot of fun to do! And that is a very impressive list. I look forward to following your posts on this challenge :-)

    There is a great pumpkin pie recipe in Cooking with Kurma, which I noticed is on your cookbook list. If you have access to a copy of Delia Smith's Vegetarian Collection, there is a really good cheese souffle recipe and a great souffle omlette recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, good luck, what a fantastic challenge! I look forward to reading your results.
    Best Wishes
    Maria Elia
    (Author of the Modern Vegetarian).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Johanna,
    Perhaps for the blue week, which you looked like you were struggling with, you could stretch the definition a little a run with 'Cordon bleu' (Blue ribbon). That way you could either go with a classic French theme, or even just 'Food cooked to the highest standards' as the dictionary puts it.
    Mille feuille with blue icing, perchance?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)