Sunday 12 October 2008

Orange, Fig and Ginger Smoothie

Today was a balmy spring day (28 C). I meant to catch up on blogging but the lure of the warm backyard, sleepy feline company and a good book was too tempting. But we did start the day in a summery way with a zingy smoothie.

I had leftover carrot juice and consulted E’s Juices and Smoothies book for ideas. He loves ginger in juices which always seem a fine companion for carrot so I settled on a juice called a Smooth Operator. It called for freshly juiced carrots and a fresh fig but I took a few liberties with what I had available.

With a bit of a bite and a little texture from the dried fig, I thought it needed renaming. I love the creative names which smoothies are often given but also like a name which gives some clues about what is in it.

So the name is not terribly exciting but the juice is lovely and a bit of a change from my usual ones, even if it does have banana in it. And it got an enthusiastic reception from E.

Orange, Fig and Ginger Smoothie
(Adapted from Juices and Smoothies)
Makes 375ml - serves 1-2

⅔ cup carrot juice
1 orange, juiced (approx ⅓ cup)
½ banana, roughly chopped
1 fig, finely chopped
½ tsp fresh ginger, finely grated

Blend. Best served chilled or with ice cubes.

On the stereo:
International: New Order

9 comments:

  1. I love ginger in juices. I often add some herbs as well, celery and even beetroot. They go well with fruit, if you use a small amount. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good to me but I think I might have a bit of trouble with the fig in there--were the seeds really noticeable? I love the combo of orange and ginger, though--something I put in my morning juice all the time (and beets--which add a gorgeous color). That glass is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds a lovely combination - I like the tang that ginger gives a smoothie, and figs are always great! I'm buying them like crazy at the moment while they're from Turkey instead of Brazil, but I never thought of putting them in a smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so yummy. Feline company is ALWAYS the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum Johanna! Sounds and looks very satisfying! I really like your glass:)
    Good to hear you are enjoying spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have smoothies for breakfast almost every day at our house -- usually fruit, kefir, and sometimes a bit of soy milk.

    This combination sounds fantastic -- will definitely have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really liking the sound of this one Johanna! I would never have though to put figs in a smoothie! Fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Vegeyum - I am not usually so keen on ginger in a juice but enjoyed it in this one - but I love beetroot juice

    thanks Ricki - it wasn't so much the seeds as chewy bits of fig - very small - but I enjoyed them - but I love the seeds from kiwi fruit in smoothies so maybe am not the one to advise you! Besides a good blender might solve that problem!

    thanks Lysy - it would be interesting to try these with fresh figs - but I don't often have them in the house

    thanks VeganCowGirl - yes feline company is a wonderful thing

    thanks Deb - spring really does lift the spirit - as does a fine glass to drink out of

    Thanks Io - I quite like just fruit in a smoothie but occasionally think I should have dairy or dairy-substitutes

    thanks Holler - I saw something about figs in smoothies a while back and screwed up my nose but I loved them in this one

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny, I love that you admitted that LOL :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)