Tuesday 21 October 2008

Biscuits like birdseed

I told E that I would make him some choc chip cookies last week. We haven’t had a lot of home baking lately so he was quite looking forward to it. The recipe I chose had choc chips in it but the similarity with choc chip cookies ends there.

They were a lot healthier than my usual efforts at choc chip cookies. These wouldn't be E's first choice but he has been finding them pleasing. They remind me a little of muesli biscuits (which would be known as granola cookies in Northern America, I guess) but are even more reminiscent of the clump of seeds we would hang in the bird cage for our budgies when we were young. So lest I mistake them for choc chip cookies again, I have renamed them.

These are a great healthy snack. I found the recipe in The Vegetarian Lunchbox by Linda Haynes who says that one of these and a green salad will keep her going for hours. I am not sure I could make this claim but they are very substantial. When straight out of the oven they were quite crunchy but once cooled they soften a little, although the kibbled wheat remains quite crunchy. I made 70 – twice as many as Linda Haynes so mine must be much smaller than hers. There is a bag of them in my freezer. They don’t look terribly attractive but I will enjoy munching my way through this lot.

Birdseed biscuits with choc chips
(adapted from The Vegetarian Lunchbox)
Makes about 3 – 6 dozen biscuits (depending on size of biscuits)

¼ cup canola oil
½ cup honey
1 ¼ cups water
½ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
1 cup cracked or kibbled wheat
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup self raising wholemeal flour
½ cup self raising white flour
1 cup choc chips (or any dried fruit)

First toast the seeds. I did mine in a frying pan over the stove but I did them all together which meant that the sesame seeds cooked quicker than the others. Next time I will start with the largest (pumpkin) seeds and gradually adding the other seeds or toast them separately.

Mix oil, honey and water together in a large mixing bowl. I just used a spoon but you could use a whisk. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix to combine.

Drop teaspoonfuls on a large lined and/or greased baking tray. Bake for about 20 minutes at 180 C (350 F) or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Can be frozen.

On the Stereo:
Land: 1975-2002 - Patti Smith

5 comments:

  1. I do a very similar biscuit with pretty much the same ingredients except the wheat and honey--I've been told they remind people of granola bars. I could see where they'd be quite filling! Not sure I'd like the effect of that kibbled wheat, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great name for a cookie! It brings back fond memories of my childhood budgie. It's good to know that a cookie can be both healthy and tasty - I'm glad E liked them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound wonderful to me. I love munching on what other people call "birdseed". Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a healthy little snack and no sugar either. Just the type of thing that would appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Ricki - I did think I had seen simiilar biscuits on your blog (need to check them out) - I found the kibbled wheat strangely pleasing - the actual recipe called for cracked millet and I wasn't sure if my substitution was quite right!

    thanks Lysy - E seemed to like them best when there was no other chocolate in the house - but I am still enjoying them for snacks at work

    thanks Katie - no5thing like a bit of seediness for texture is there?

    thanks Lisa - I couldn't resist the recipe for that reason - so much good stuff in them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)