Thursday 29 August 2019

Antipasto focaccia (overnight and sourdough)

After making my black cat focaccia I discovered just how easy focaccia could be.   So easy that I could bake a loaf in the morning to take to work for morning tea.  However to take it in for morning tea I didn't want the palaver of taking along spreads and toppings so I stuffed it with flavours.

I added a lot of cheese.  It seemed like an outrageous amount.  It didn't seem so much once cooked.  In fact a colleague commented that you can never had too much cheese.  I wished I had more sun dried tomato but was just using what was in my fridge.  That was a little bit frugal and a little bit disorganised.

I was slightly worried about leaving the cheese overnight but it seemed fine.  The dough rose well and it was easy to shape in the morning.  It took a little longer to bake than my recent black cat focaccia.  I suspect this was because I didn't have much time to preheat the oven on a chilly winter morning.  The focaccia, when hot out of the oven, was lovely for breakfast.  We had it for tea with leftover mac and cheese (for that carb on carb comfort).

The second focaccia went to work for a morning tea.  Everyone enjoyed it.  We also had green tea from China, nougat from Iran, red bean filled cakes from our local Chinatown, and some chocolate biscuits from the supermarket.  This spread reflects the diversity of my group.  And the generosity too!  When everyone is so complimentary about my baking, I am always happy to take in more.

More easy sourdough baking on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Black cat focaccia  (v)
Celia's overnight sourdough bread  (v)
Rhubarb and raspberry focaccia (v) 
Fast track sourdough pizza bases (v)
Sourdough toss-off flatbreads (v)

Antipasto focaccia
Adapted from Green Gourmet Giraffe and Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Makes 2 focaccia

300g ripe sourdough starter
400g warm water
40g (about 3 tbsp) olive oil
700g white bread flour
12g (generous 1/2 tbsp) salt
40g sun dried tomatoes
40g olives
150g chopped vintage cheddar cheese
extra olive oil and gold salt for topping

Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. If you have time give it a 15 second knead in the bowl after 30 minutes but this is optional.  Cover well (I used a cover with elasticised edges or you can use clingwrap) and leave overnight or 8-12 hours.

When you are ready to bake, preheat oven to 220 C.

Scrape bread out of bowl onto a well floured surface (I used fine semolina sprinkled on the surface).  Cut in half.

Place on a large baking paper lined oven tray and shape the large piece into a an oval (I read that focaccia is rectangular but oval seems close enough).  If dough is sticky you can lightly oil fingers to make it easier to work with.)  Dimple the dough with your fingers.  Have fun and don't worry about going too deep because it will rise.

Drizzle olive over over the focaccia and sprinkle with salt.

Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and it sounds hollow when you tap it.  Eat warm or room temperature.  Lasts up to 2 days.

NOTES: I would have used more sun dried tomatoes but I ran out of them.  I would love to try some roast pumpkin or roast potato in this or your favourite antipasto bits.  Other cheeses would work here such as feta or parmesan. I'd like to try some fresh herbs in a focaccia too.  Or you could pile the fillings on top instead.  If you don't have a sourdough starter I suggest making this overnight focaccia recipe with yeast and adding in the antipasto ingredients - I haven't tried it but I created this focaccia by adding bits to a plain recipe. 

On the Stereo:
Les Sources: Vanessa Paradis

8 comments:

  1. Johanna, I love the look of this recipe and will definitely try it as I have some ripe soudough needing to be used. I generally grow my sourdough over a few days so that it rises really well for bread, however I am guessing that with foccaccia that isn't necessary. Thanks for sharing. I must also check to see if my captcha code is turned on, hope I can find it to do it:) Bst wishes, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pauline - hope it works for you - I only generally feed my sourdough 12-24 hours before using it (or sometimes have let it grow in the fridge) so I don't think growing it for days is necessary. I great thing about the sourdough is that it does not need so much spring as a loaf of bread. Of course a bit more time to rest the shaped focaccia before putting in the oven would give it a bit more bubbles but is not necessary esp if pushed for time as I am so often!

      Delete
  2. Yum - cheese and olive focaccia sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your foccacia looks good. Mine are hit and miss. You made me chuckle as you descrived where all the work food contributions came from Iran, China ... ending with 'chocolate biscuits from the supermarket! People where i work now are very fickle when i bring home bakes in, i do wonder if its the food or just that they are not keen on me (influenced by more dominant people in the office), i note when those inds are not in, they are all over the food and it all goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - that is a shame if people aren't appreciating your bakes. I have worked in other places where people don't appreciate any food much but my current one is pretty good.

      Delete
  4. This looks so tasty and beautiful. It made me want to make focaccia again, and it's true that's it's not too tricky to make. I have mostly put everything as a topping, but I think your method of mixing the stuff in the dough is superior, so I will try that soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog - hope it works for you - I want to try piling stuff on top at some stage - have only do it with fruit but not savoury.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)