Tuesday 22 August 2017

Savoury Carrot Turmeric Muffins (vegan)

I was excited when I saw Vegan Richa's Turmeric Carrot Muffins some months ago.  I've been really enjoying making savoury muffins this year and loved the sound of these.  Only, when I read the recipe, I found they were sweet.  So I had to create my own savoury version.  Which I loved.

I made these a few weeks back after Sylvia had helped me clean the bathroom and I had hung out the washing.  Sylvia had gone to a friend's for a playdate so I made these quickly before I picked her up.  Fortunately I had written out my ideas for the recipe already because I had intended to make them earlier than I did.  This made it much faster as I did not have to think through the recipe.  I did mean to sprinkle some chia seeds on top but forgot, so I have kept this in the recipe.

I raced out the door as soon as I had taken them out of the oven.  Freshly baked muffins were wonderful to return to.  We ate some that day and I took some to work over the next few days.  The rest were put in the freezer for later.

We still have some in the freezer.  You see, there hasn't been much cooking or eating over the past week in our house.  A couple of weeks ago E got sick and then at the start of last week I caught his cold.  Yesterday was my first day back at work after a week off.  The aches have gone but I am still coughing and tired and don't have much appetite.  I am feeling better so hopefully I will enjoy these muffins from the freezer before long.

I highly recommend these savoury carrot turmeric muffins.  They make a substantial snack or a fine addition to a meal.  Just add soup!  The addition of turmeric gives the muffins the added nutritional boost of a superfood but also makes these a cheery yellow colour.

More savoury muffins at Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Cheese and parsley muffins (v)
Pumpkin miso muffins (v)
Savoury beetroot, carrot, chocolate and goats cheese muffins
Sweet potato, feta and sauerkraut muffins (v) 
Tofu feta, olive and sun-dried tomato muffins (v)

Savoury Carrot Turmeric Muffins
An original Green Gourmet Giraffe recipe inspired by Vegan Richa
Makes 12 muffins

Wet ingredients:
1 heaped cup finely grated carrots (2 medium carrots)
3/4 cup milk (I used soy)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice (or lime juice)

Dry ingredients:
1 1/2 cup flour (I used 1/3 white, 2/3 wholemeal)
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup walnuts chopped 
1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp fine salt
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda

chia seeds for topping

Mix wet ingredients in a small mixing bowl.  Set aside.  Mix dry ingredients in a medium large mixing bowl.  Pour in wet ingredients and stir gently until combined.  Spoon into a greased 12 hole muffin tin.  Sprinkle with chia seeds.  Bake at 200 C for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.

On the Stereo:
My Fair Lady (Broadway Cast Recording) soundtrack

8 comments:

  1. I love savoury muffins. I might give this a go but put my own spin on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You def. are on a muffin kick! I have had Green Kitchen Stories Turmeric Sweet muffins bookmarked for a while but not got round to making them, http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/turmeric-breakfast-muffins/

    but your savoury version appeals to me more, so will have to give them a go soon. Sorry to read that E has been unwell and then you got his lurgy. Glad to hear your feeling much better, but hope you will be back to yourself again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited to see these now! These are my sort of savoury muffins and most of the ingredients are staples in my kitchen - so these would be perfect when we inevitably have half a bag of carrots not used before they go a bit beyond their best. The colour is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy savoury muffins again by you. I like the yellow mixture and am sure these are tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great. Something to try this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've really inspired me recently to get cooking some savoury muffins recently, and I love the idea of carroty ones. The savoury sounds so much better than sweet! I'll be bookmarking these for later.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These muffins look terrific. I adore the colour that turmeric gives to things but it is a nightmare if you accidentally get it on your clothes. Sorry to hear that you and E have been sick. I turned up to work with my cold but kept wondering if everyone had wished I'd stayed away. There were a couple of days I wish I had!! Glad to hear you are on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always have extra carrots on hand and can't think what to do with them. I love the muffin idea! They look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)