Tuesday 2 June 2015

In My Kitchen June 2015

It has been a chilly autumn and with the arrival of June comes what promises to be a long cold winter.  In my kitchen there has been purchases, presents and lots of cooking.  As I wont be writing these recipes into blog posts, I am just squeezing in a few of their stories here.

Last month our lemon and lime trees were heavy with fruit.  This month most of the fruit is blown off the tree and I am amazed at our yield.  I needed Sylvia's toy trolley to bring them all inside.  Lemons and limes are finding their way into soups, stews, cakes, and lemonade.  They are being given to visitors, including members of a Gypsy jazz band that we invited into our yard on the weekend (as you do when bands play in your back lane)!

A friend pointed me in the direction of the Catalyst documentary (Our Chemical Lives) and the dangers of plastics in our lives.  It was one of the reasons I bought these new bowls to replace some of the plastic bowls we have been using for Sylvia.  I have also bought a new electronic kitchen scale because my large bowl I use for bread dough kept falling off my previous electronic kitchen scales.  And I love the colour!

After seeing the documentary, I have been throwing out some of my more worn plastics, including my green plastic chopping board.  In its place is a new wooden chopping board that is already stained with pink from a pomegranate.  Here it is seen with the loaf of overnight sourdough bread that was responsible for Sylvia losing her first baby tooth.

I was in my local health food shop looking for an aluminum free deodorant and was delighted to discover a packet of beetroot powder.  It has already been put to good use in my ombre potato and cheese torte.

Sylvia and I have had a few craft moments at the kitchen table, including card making.  I have enjoyed experimenting with painting and collage on greeting cards.  Every time I do one that I like I think I never have to buy another card again but I don't always churn them out as quickly as I intend.

Sylvia's favourite meal lately is pasta with creamy cheese sauce.  I decided to make this variation with grated carrot and peas in it but it did not go down so well with her.  E and I loved it.

I was reminded of how good Angela's Glo Bars are and made another batch.  I forgot the choc chips and thought they were really good without them.  But I had some chocolate melts so I drizzled some over the bars.  I think it was more about good looks than giving much of a chocolate taste but there were those in the house who liked it.

After I made the plum teacake with quince jelly glaze I used the rest of the plums to make chutney.  I wrote in my post when I made it years ago that it took only 30 minutes to simmer down.  This one took hours to simmer (2 or 3?) and I kept stirring regularly and yet it still managed to catch and burn on the bottom of the saucepan in about 5 minutes. 

So I turned to fill my sterilised jars only to find that E had decided to wash the lids.  Apparently he was being helpful but I still don't know what he thought I was doing when I simmered them in a saucepan for 10 minutes!  So I quickly resterilised the lids and filled the jars and prayed that the chutney would not taste burnt. 

I filled a few jars and had a spoonful or two over to try the next day.  I had it on bread with some tofu besan omelet.  It was good so I am hopeful.  However the spices still tasted a bit grainy and I remember they were better after the jam sat for some weeks last time so it is resting while we finish the last of the tomato chutney.

Last week I told you about a most excellent chickpea, walnut and cranberry salad sandwich that I made with a delicious avocado dressing.  I really loved the dressing on a bowl of vegies and chickpeas too. 

I have had my eye on some five seeds sourdough irish bread for ages.  The idea of combining the speed of soda bread and the flavour of sourdough sounds brilliant.  I halved the recipe and found the dough quite dry, even with adding more liquid.  This might be due to the different consistencies of sourdough starters.  It was nice but not brilliant.  I'm game to try it again so stay tuned....

I bought a huge squash from CERES farmers market.  It was stuffed with a rice, lentil and vegie mixture.  Nothing to set the world on fire but a good honest dinner.  I really liked putting some leftover tomato broth from the baked cauliflower into the water that I used to cook the rice.

I would like to pack more vegies in my lunches.  While writing about my new blender, I thought I should check if I could make chickpea flour out of dried chickpeas.  I could.  Then I found myself with heaps of the stuff.  I mixed it with lots of stuff from the fridge that needed using - cauliflower, pesto, corn, spinach - and fried it up into burgers.  Most of them went into the freezer to be on hand for sandwiches or quick lunches.  If only I can remember they are there!

Joanne's Eggplant Balls at Eats Well With Others looked so yummy when I read her post about them that I had to try them when I had eggplant in the house.  They were a pretty rough and ready dinner because I sort of ran out of time to do much side dish.  The next day the leftovers were great on crackers with hummus and lots of vegies on the side.

E headed off to the City Library on the weekend to check out their booksale.  He returned with an indie rock cookbook (Lost in the Supermarket) for me.  It has a very sweet salad by the very sweet Belle and Sebastian, some great potstickers from Gorch Fork and a tongue in cheek recipe for Fly Soup by Antony and the Johnstons.  It is great fun to read through and I might even try a few of the recipes.

Even more exciting than an indie rock cookbook is Vegemite chocolate.  I was so excited when I saw it in the supermarket that I couldn't wait to get home and try it.  In the queue to pay, I happened to see an American friend and showed her.  Her reaction to vegemite was a bit like Jimmy Fallon's (ie horrified).  We hurried home to tear off the wrapper!

It is only when I read the small print that I discovered it was actually chocolate with a caramel filling that was mildly flavoured with vegemite as in salted caramel.  It was quite tasty with that odd flavour of vegemite hovering right at the edge of your tastebuds in a vaguely weird and yet acceptable way.  Would I eat it again?  Oh yeah!  Would I eat it a lot?  Of course not.

I am sending this post to Celia at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial for her In My Kitchen event.  Head over to join in (by 10th of each month) and/or check out what is happening in other bloggers' kitchens.

26 comments:

  1. You have so many lovely homemade dishes, I want to try them all. I like the look of the cookbook, but it is unlikely that I will find it at my local library, so I look forward to reading more about it from you. Cute way to transport those lemons and limes into your kitchen. I've a new batch of beetroot powder in my kitchen cupboards too. The last time i used some was for dusting a beetroot chocolate cake, but i love how you used it for your Ombre savoury cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - I hope to cook some stuff from the cookbook so you may see more here! I really wish I had an olde worlde sturdy cane basket to bring in fruit from the garden but that just isn't the reality of my life :-) And the trolley is cute - though some lemons and limes have now been transferred to the dolls cot! Must try some pink baking with the beetroot powder!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love this little sneak peak! Gosh that sourdough bread looks ridiculously good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy - I am really pleased with my bread at the moment!

      Delete
  3. ha, the kids trolley sure did come in handy! I keep meaning to make the Glo Bars and really should get on to that today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - I should make more glo bars too but I made chocolate muesli today instead

      Delete
  4. OMG! I love that cookbook! I can’t believe I didn’t know of its existence. As to the Vegemite chocolate It’s not too bad. The Vegemite smacks you in the mouth when you bit in but then it just fades so a salty caramel. I tried some at work which is just as well because I probably wouldn’t buy a whole block.

    Always interesting to see what’s going on. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona - it is such a great cookbook - don't you love the cover! I found the Vegemite chocolate very moreish in a very odd way and I think I was pleased it was edible

      Delete
  5. Interesting about the Vegemite chocolate. I haven't tried it but I've heard really opposing reactions to it although nobody has really, really loved it from what I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - Yeah I am not sure I would say I really really loved the vegemite chocolate but I did have to stop myself scoffing too much of it

      Delete
  6. Not often that I read about someone going into a shop to buy deodorant and coming out with beetroot powder too :) Vegemite chocolate sounds too disgusting for words - but each to their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne - ha ha - I will make sure I don't get the deodorant and beetroot powder confused :-) And I think I was so excited by the vegemite chocolate because it sounded so weird

      Delete
  7. Vegemite chocolate? Really? Not sure I fancy that one. But everything else in your kitchen looks great! That lemon haul is amazing! I'm very jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - oh vegemite chocolate has to be tried once just to see that it is not as strange as it sounds because it so much more caramel than vegemite

      Delete
  8. So much in your kitchen Johanna! The new kitchen scales are great and your latest sourdough loaf looks particularly gorgeous. I really want beetroot powder, and also really want vegemite chocolate, even if it isn't vegan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - wonder if the Australia shop has vegemite chocolate (or even if it still exists in London - I loved that place when I lived there). I think I found the vegemite chocolate moreish because it was so much sweeter than the dark chocolate we usually have here, as well as having the caramel filling. I was excited to find beetroot powder because I have had herbies but have looked for it a few times and been unable to find it and then I find some in my local health food store.

      Delete
  9. All that food looks delicious! The sourdough bread looks especially perfect. A gypsy jazz band in your backyard - sounds like fun! Who were they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caeli - the band was Rosenstein and they were very friendly.

      Delete
  10. Johanna, that's a fun way to cart your lemons & limes to the house! What a memorable loaf of bread, too, when Sylvia lost her baby tooth. Your post is so full of flavor and good eats -- I'm liking those crackers with hummus a lot. Thanks for a fun IMK read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a really fun post to read, you've cooked some great food! I love card making too, but don't get around to it much anymore these days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Johanna, you have so many wonderful things going on and I found I kept staring and staring at your photos and recipes!
    I swear I could also smell your bread from here!
    Thanks also for this month's kitchen view!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Johanna, that would have to be the cutest way to harvest produce from your garden in a toy shopping trolley. Adorable.
    Powdered beetroot! looks amazing. I bet that would certainly power up a breakfast smoothie (not to mention turn it a luxurious shade of crimson).
    We too tried the Vegemite chocolate. Our verdict.. different.. but wouldn't buy it again. We did send two blocks and a jar of Vegemite over to family in the States. Haven't heard the screams yet.... ;) Cheers, Kirsty xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Johanna, so many mixed reactions to the Vegemite chocolate in this month's IMK posts! Not sure I'd be keen to try it, but it does sound fascinating. You always make vegetarian food sound SO wonderful - we omnivores could be easily swayed! And poor Sylvia losing her baby tooth on sourdough - hope the Tooth Fairy was generous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would be so excited to have that much citrus fruit at my disposal - especially if I could share it with a Jazz Gypsy band. You really have the most interesting stories ;)
    "Every time I do one that I like I think I never have to buy another card again but I don't always churn them out as quickly as I intend."
    Your cards are so nice! I love making them too, but they are time consuming. I make them when I have time, otherwise I buy them.
    The stuffed squash looks heavenly... as does the bread. Your bread looks like the best bread I have ever seen. I wish I could try it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you have so much going on in your kitchen Johanna. The green scales were a great find for you, love the colour too, even if I will stick to red. Very envious of your lemons AND limes too - I can but dream. I enjoyed trying our marmite chocolate and made some truly delicious marmite caramel brownies, so I guess vegemite chocolate might be OK. Every IMK post I've looked at so far features chocolate and mine didn't have even a tiny scrap - I am losing my touch.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your bread loaves look delicious. I like the cute little round shapes. Much as I try, my loaves never stay the way I shape them and explode into freeform shapes as they cook!

    Very envious of your citrus haul, and I must say that I was also a fan of that Vegemite chocolate (much to my husband's disgust!!).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)