Tuesday 23 June 2015

Pomegranate and orange smoothie

Recently I read a couple of articles about the rise of the know-it-all thanks to Professor Google's assistance, and school students being over-confident.  Gulp!  Perhaps that would be me last year when I decided my new high speed blender could cope with pomegranate seeds.  It seems that just made a horrid grainy smoothie that was so awful there was nothing for it but the bin.  Luckily when I tried again, I got it right.  Hurrah for experience over know-it-all.  

Hence when I made a recent pomegranate and orange smoothie I made sure I sieved the pomegranate arils.  Which perhaps supports a couple of other articles I liked about teaching your kids to be fearless and to take risks.  After all there is nothing quite so humbling as falling flat on your face.  And nothing a food blogger hates more than having recipes go so wrong there is no saving them.  It all a good lesson.

Using pomegranate in a smoothie again worked a treat.  It was a lovely smoothie, slightly tart but very refreshing.  And I redeemed myself by managing to fill it with fruit that had to be used.  We had too many bananas, strawberries that would go off within a day or two, an old orange and lots of limes off our tree.

The pomegranate had also sat there for some time.  Once I had cut it open and stained my new chopping board, I put the leftover arils in a bowl and we enjoyed eating them plain, on salad or on muesli and yoghurt.  I don't buy pomegranate often but I hope next time I will be wiser about what to do with them.  Oh no.  Maybe now I do know it all.  Well I know more about pomegranates.  Now I just need to work on my photography!

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: E for Eccles cakes - vegan and savoury with leek, spinach and blue cheese
Two year ago: Leek, walnut and blue cheese scones
Three years ago: WHB Apple and mince crumble
Four years ago: Smoky tomato soup and recent cooking
Five years ago: Nigella’s potato bread
Six years ago: What does home mean to you?
Seven years ago: The solstice fruitcake offensive
Eight years ago: Kraut rock cupcakes

Pomegranate and orange smoothie
Serves 1-2

juice of 1 orange
juice of 1/2 pomegranate
juice of 1/2 lime
1 punnet of strawberries, hulled
1 banana, peeled
1 cup milk (I used soy milk)

Blend until smooth.

On the Stereo:
Worlds of Sound CD sampler: Various Artists

16 comments:

  1. Oh I do love pomegranates, but not often if ever as a smoothie. Glad you got it right second time, grainy smoothie sounds icky. We have them fresh to adorn savoury and sweet rice dishes, or cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - I went through a phase of enjoying pomegranate juice but it seemed to have lots of sugar in it so this seems a nice alternative - I really wanted to use the arils on salads but it isn't salad weather.

      Delete
  2. I love pomegranates but I've never tried to juice them. I usually add them to salads. They certainly do add beautiful colour to any dish. Good on you for persevering xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I just pushed a citrus juicer into the half pomegranate with a sieve beneath it - the colour is indeed glorious - and they look so pretty when cut in half

      Delete
  3. Mmm that smoothie looks fantastic. Love the colour of it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - it is a pink to please any little girl :-)

      Delete
  4. I like this idea, although am not sure how my blender would go with pomegranate! I've never thought to use the seeds in a smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - you are probably wise not to think of putting pomegranate seeds in a smoothie - don't do it!!!! it was horrible

      Delete
  5. This smoothie is such a pretty colour and the flavours sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - the flavours were based on some of the ones I used in the smoothie with the seeds but were better

      Delete
  6. Nice combo of flavours in the smoothie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of pomegranates and they're so beautiful but the little 'bits' can defeat me easily. I always seem to buy them with good intentions but wait ages until I use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - I am a bit lazy with pomegranates - which is why I was taking the arils out and leaving them in the fridge - that way we got through them quickly

      Delete
  8. I love the flavour of pomegranate, but I always find them so messy to use. Unless I sprinkle the arils on salad, I always sieve them to get the juice and manage to spray it all round the kitchen! Whilst I am making the mess, I wonder whether it is all worth it, and then I taste the result and think..... Yes!
    Your smoothie is the most amazing colour! So pretty! It sounds dry flavoursome too...... & the photos are good too. I love the cut citrus shot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Hurrah for experience over know-it-all."
    Ahahaha yes ;p
    Sounds like a lovely smoothie! Glad it made it through the blender this time 'round. Too bad about your cutting board - I'm sure it will fade though. I feel as though I have stained mine before, but it eventually comes out.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)