Thursday 14 May 2015

Steam Junkies and Sinch street art

I have ridden my bike past Steam Junkies often.  It is at the bottom of a new block of flats beside the Upfield bike path and train line.  A few weeks back I stopped in for lunch.  It was, as a friend had suggested, well worth a visit.  It is relatively new, having opened about a year ago.

The menu had lots of eggy breakfast dishes and some tempting burgers such as chickpea and feta burger or or sesame encrusted haloumi cheese burger.  I had plenty of choice but I was intrigued by the salad.

I chose the wild rice salad with pickled beetroot, Dutch carrots, raw shredded kale, goat cheese and truffle oil.  It was magnificently dark and brooding.  I loved the interesting mixture of soft sweet juicy vegetables, chewy wild rice and creamy goat cheese.  So satisfying.  If I wanted to quibble I would have preferred the baby carrots to be cooked a little more.  However it was so good that it made me wish I ate such salads more regularly.  (Though I don't have any desire to eat kale salads at McDonalds.)

It was very pleasant to sit with my meal and watch the trains and bikes fly by.  If you like looking at street art, there is plenty to look at outside after you finish you meal and leave (with or without a vegan cake which are on offer at the counter).  Here are my photos of some of the art around the apartment block.  I have been told that it is a tribute to a street artist called Sinch who died while train surfing.







And finally a picture of Ganesha by the corner of Florence Street and Breese Street:


Steam Junkies
1/7-9 Florence Street
Brunswick VIC 3056
03 9973 4309
https://www.facebook.com/steamjunkies

Steam Junkies on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a lovely outing. The chairs and view in Steam Junkies look great and the salad delicious. I might have been tempted by a vegan cake as well! I always love your street art photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I only saw the cakes as I left but I was very satisfied with the salad

      Delete
  2. Is this the place that is on your left when you're riding in the city direction? If so it looked intriguing when I rode past but I've forgotten about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - yes it is near Albion Station - I often ride past when on the way home and already eaten lunch because I forget it is there

      Delete
  3. That's one big bright salad - looks good. I love the street art - they are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - there is heaps of talent in street art but the story of the street artist Sinch sounded sad that he died so young.

      Delete
  4. The salad sounds really good and interesting description of "magnificently dark and brooding! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I think I was impressed by the kale salad because I don't always love kale in salad but when done well it is great

      Delete
  5. I love trying out new places and enjoying their food =) I like how you biked there too, biking is the best. Very good street art, too bad about the artist.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)