Sunday 10 January 2016

One pot pasta with chickpeas and zucchini

I am excited to find a one pot pasta that works after a few failed experiments.  I have seen lots of one pot pastas online.  The idea of throwing all the seasonings and vegetables in the pot with the pasta seemed brilliant.  It was just a matter of getting the seasonings right and enough vegies to make a healthy meal.

One of the main reasons I wanted to make the one pot pasta is that it always looks so pretty online in the before photos.  So I made sure I arranged mine to please the eye.  This might be one of the reasons it wasn't quite as quick as I had hoped it might be.  It meant I was a little late to visit a friend after dinner but at least I was quite satisfied by my meal.

When I had a taste of it lukewarm upon arriving home, I could taste the undercooked onion slightly and did so again the next day.  I had chopped my brown onion fairly fine so perhaps a red onion would be better here.  I had also thought of adding spinach at the end but was feeling too rushed by the time it was cooked to do this.  Some fresh basil at the end would also be great.  And E added grated cheese but I did not think this was necessary.

This was a great tasty dish to slurp up quickly before heading out of the house.  I can see this becoming a regular meal.  It didn't take too long and mostly used ingredients I regularly have in the house.  It had a good amount of vegies which could be increased by spinach at the end.  And I am sure with practice I could make it even quicker.

I am sending this to Meat Free Mondays, Healthy Vegan Fridays, and Cook Once, Eat Twice.

More quick pasta recipes on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Angel hair pasta with feta, sun-dried tomatoes and spinach
Avocado Pasta (v)
Fettuccine Napoletana (v)
Hurry up pumpkin alfredo (v)
Pasta with mint and parmesan
Spaghetti hoops (v)

One pot pasta with chickpeas and zucchini
Adapted from Yup It's Vegan
Serves 4

350g spaghetti
400g tin chickpeas, drained
400g can diced tomatoes
1 zucchini, halved and sliced thinly
1/4 cup sliced black olives
2 tbsp capers
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp dried mixed Italian herbs
1/4 tsp ground pepper
3 cups vegetable stock

Place pasta in a large saucepan.  If it needs to be broken up to fit that is fine.  Place remaining ingredients in the pot finishing with the stock.  Cover and bring to the boil.  (Check and adjust seasoning at this point.)  Cook for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  I simmered mine for about 8 minutes and then took the lid off and cooked it on high for another 2-3 minutes with lots of stirring to boil off a little bit more liquid but not all as it will thicken to make a tomato sauce.  Serve hot.  Leftovers are good to serve the next day.

On the Stereo:
Who killed Amanda Palmer: Amanda Palmer

14 comments:

  1. This is a brilliant idea - I've actually not seen one pot pasta recipes about so am obviously missing some good sites you follow :) Thanks for introducing it to me and your 'before' photo is definitely beautiful (but so are the after ones).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - you probably don't spend as much time on pinterest as me - it is there really because it is pretty!

      Delete
  2. A very cunning method and a good looking results! I haven't cooked a one pot pasta myself yet, but your post really made me want to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog - hope you get to try it - it took me a few goes to find one I liked but it just makes so much sense when in a hurry

      Delete
  3. I wonder if green onions would work well too? They'd definitely be cooked through too. It's a pretty idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I had wondered about spring onions - one of the one pot pastas I tried that didn't work was an Asian noodle one that I think had spring onions

      Delete
  4. This looks brilliant. I'm definitely adding this to the "must make" list. Perfect for time poor nights after work when take out seems like an easy option. This looks way better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - hope you enjoy it - mine took a bit of time but arranging the before photo and photographing the after probably took up a bit of time - I am going to work on getting the time down for time poor nights

      Delete
  5. I really want to make a one-pot pasta dish one day. This one looks great and really tasty. We quite like raw onions so I don't think we'd mind at all if they weren't quite cooked through. Thank you so much for joining in with #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Corina - the onion wasn't totally raw so it was ok but I am not a fan of raw onion so it is not ideal for me but sounds like you would enjoy this!

      Delete
  6. Looks so pretty, Johanna. I tried a similar recipe but found it so salty with the capers and olives. Glad you found something that worked for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet - the pasta I made had stock as well and I found that was enough without needing more seasoning but you could reduce the salt by using less stock and more water!

      Delete
  7. OMG I love the sound of this! I will shamelessly admit that we have pasta night every single Friday because I love it so much. I'm always dirtying a pot for the noodles, another for the veggies, and of course the strainer. I'm a little nervous to try this with gluten free pasta - but I'm going to give it a go.
    Thanks so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays. I'm pinning and sharing (and definitely making!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - would love to hear how it goes with gluten free pasta - the original recipe used wholemeal and I used white so I was a bit concerned but it worked well. We used to have pasta really often and then I got a bit tired of it but every now and again I crave it - and more often E and Sylvia crave it

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)