Sunday 18 January 2015

Geelong cafe: Little Creatures Brewery

While we ate lunch at Little Creatures Brewery in Geelong last week, we marvelled at the success of the place.  I am not familiar with the brand but I don't drink beer.  However the food is creative, good quality and easy to share.  The vibe is hip, interesting and kid-friendly.  It was my first visit to the Geelong restaurant, but I have been to the Little Creatures dining hall in Fitzroy (Melbourne) a few times and enjoyed it.

Whereas the Melbourne dining hall is a large restaurant in a street known for eating out, the Geelong one is actually based in the brewery and you can take a tour of the works.  A yellow striped path leads from the car park to the restaurant.  Along the way the sights are promising.  I see street art and I take out my camera! 

We turn the corner and see the outdoor dining area that is dwarfed by a large redbrick industrial complex.  It is busy.  Only one lone sunny table without colourful canopies is vacant.  An old school drinking trough is covered in vines.  Chimneys rise in the distance.  Pipes criss cross up high.  Children play in a sandpit.

Someone has fine chalkboard skills.  The sign welcomes us into the warehouse where more diners are seated.  There are so many of them.  The space is huge. 

We don't have to wait for long before we are seated at a high table with stools.  On our table is a quirky woollen sheep.  I love all the incidental artwork.  It is a great distract for fidgety kids.

We order and I walk around the restaurant to explore the space.  There is a giftshop, a map of the origins of beer, yarn bombing, paintings, and boxes of beer.

I enjoy watching all the people eating their meals.  They are such a diverse bunch.  Lots of noisy happy groups.  Young and old.  Foreigners and locals.  The beautiful and the ... um ... not so beautiful.

I love the above green sign that I assume is for people who are going on a brewery tour.  We see a group in bright orange jackets and I am told by my parents that you need covered shoes to do the tour.  Which probably cuts down on those who are eligible on a warm summer's day.

Dinner comes as I am taking Sylvia for a wander.  She has had enough of drawing pictures with her cousin.

My sister and I share braised chickpeas with flatbread.  It is good hearty honest food with lots of spice but not too much heat for me.  The flatbread are soft and pillowy with attractive chargrill marks.  My parents share a meaty dish (apparently with similar spices) and Sylvia and her cousin each have a pizza to share with the rest of us.

Sylvia's margherita pizza is beautifully cooked with lots of cheese.  She also had the apple juice which I highly recommend.  It tastes like real apples and is so much nicer than many of the apple juices she orders elsewhere.  I also see chips go by that look delicious.

By the end of lunch I am full as a state school.  Which is a shame because the people next to us have the brownie with a scoop of ice cream and there are amazing brownie muffins on display.  I have sampled chocolate tart and salted caramel doughnuts in the Melbourne dining hall which were indulgent, heavenly and too rich not to share.  So I am sure desserts here are excellent as well.  Sadly they will have to wait for another day!

Little Creatures
Geelong Brewery
Cnr Fyans and Swanston Streets
Geelong
Te;: (03) 5202 4009
https://littlecreatures.com.au/

Little Creatures Geelong Brewery on Urbanspoon

10 comments:

  1. There always seems to be such a lovely lot of events on where you live. Everything looks so sunny and bright. Those braised chickpeas with flatbread sound delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - there is always lots going on in Melbourne and a lot of the time I either don't seem to have the time or the energy or I just don't hear of it until too late but there is only so much we can fit in

      Delete
  2. Such an enjoyable experience to read about from here in the frozen north!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to visit a brewery; it looks very visitor-friendly. My husband is a big fan of Little Creatures xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I am not a big beer drinker so I need more than booze to draw me in and this definitely has a lot more

      Delete
  5. I didn't know Little Creatures was in Victoria! There is a very similar looking branch in Fremantle and it is hugely popular. Not being a big beer drinker I never appreciated it fully, but I had dinner there a few times and it is a nice setting. It sounds like the Geelong one is equally so. And I am still giggling with your line 'full as a state school'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I think Little Creatures started in Fremantle - good to hear they are as enjoyable over the other side of the nation

      Delete
  6. I try not to fill up on savouries but sometimes I have to miss out on dessert because I just have no room. And lol as full up as a state school! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute restaurant. Very unique and fun-looking =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)