Sunday 3 August 2014

In My Kitchen August 2014 and Vegan MoFo is coming

August brings chilly weather and a sad selection of fruit and veg.  Thank goodness for apples and root vegetables.  I went to the Newtown Farmers Market with my mum last weekend.  The pink lady apples I bought were wonderful and a bargain at 2 kg for $6.  I have been loving the St James smoked salted walnuts for snacks and in sandwiches.  I really enjoyed the spinach and cheese pide for lunch and took the beetroot and zucchini burgers home for tea the next day.  I loved the Hidden Secret stall where we bought the burgers.  Their vegie pies looked amazing.

Here is my beetroot and zucchini burger.  I toasted some kaiser rolls and filled them with grilled burgers, rocket, tomato, carrot, red capsicum, cheese, tomato chutney,  They were so delicious and very filling.  The burgers were very soft and yummy.  They are vegan and gluten free.  As well as vegies they include chickpeas and peanut butter.

The buns are from Coles supermarket.  I don't usually buy bakery goods from supermarkets as I prefer to make my own bread and cakes or buy them from bakeries.  The other week there were some specials and I bought kaiser rolls, seeded rolls and triple chocolate cookies.  The buns were great for burgers and lunches.  The cookies were delicious.  A nice change.  However, I just read about our national Supermarket Monsters in the Monthly - a timely remind to resist the duopoly.

After I made a mashed potato chocolate cake, I used up the rest of the mashed potato in some potato scones.  Sylvia seems to have gone off them.  Amazing the amount of food I make that she suddenly takes a dislike to that she would have eaten a year ago.  Oh well, more potato scones for me.  In the background of the photo are babushka doll craft we did at the Immigration Museum during the school holidays.

I don't like blu-tak on the walls because it leaves greasy marks if there too long.  However we use blu-tak to hand notices and Sylvia's artwork on kitchen cupboard doors.  E also has a system of blu-takking library slips by the kitchen door.  It helps us keep track of due dates for the books we have borrowed.  So I couldn't resist the coloured blu-tak!

I have noted before that E loves Daiso.  He bought us some new sushi moulds recently which I love.  They make little rolls of rice.  Which can be eaten as is or can be rolls in strips of nori.

I usually make a lunchbox for Sylvia featuring sushi each week.  You can see the sushi from the above moulds with some nori wrapped around it here.  I also included soy crisps, walnuts, apple and Herman the German apple cake.  I am really missing having a huge pile of this apple cake in the freezer.

We are familiar with the Scottish company, Nairns, that makes regular oatcakes.  I was interested in these mixed berry oat biscuits.  They are like oatcakes with a little sugar and fruit.  The berry flavour is more prominent than the specks of dried berries throughout the bikkies.  They were very popular.  My mum really loved them because they are not very sweet.  E loved them with butter and jam.  Sylvia loved them because they are bikkies.  I loved them for their nubbly oatiness.

Here is another of Sylvia's lunchboxes.  She loves cheeseymite scrolls and has one for lunch about once a week.  I love that Bakers Delight sell packets of mini scrolls.  Alongside the cheeseymite, I gave her carrots, gingerbread stars and apple.

I am a sucker for a new version of an old favourite, especially when it comes to Snickers Bars.  I had a fascination for trying a Snickers Bar in every country when I travelled.  I could not resist this peanut butter version.  It comes conveniently in two small squares.  I ate one and gave the other to E.  The peanut butter flavour didn't seem overly prominent to me because Snickers has lots of peanuts anyway.  Then E told me how much he enjoyed the peanut butter flavour.  Be warned they are very filling if you try them.

I mentioned recently that I dropped my spice hog or salt hog and it smashed to pieces.  I have really missed it and went hunting a new one.  I know I wouldn't find one as aesthetically pleasing as my lovely green one.  So I am making do with a Cole and Mason salt keeper.  Salt keeper!  Where is the poetry in that!  And I find the spoon attached to a magnet on the back to be quite unnecessary.  I like to be able to take a pinch of salt when I need it or find it quite easy to grab a spoon if I need more.  I have promised myself to keep a lookout for something as lovely as my old one but, as I will be fussy, it could take some time.

Finally I am signing up again for Vegan MoFo in September.  It will be my fourth year so I know it is a busy time for blogging.  The only way I can participate is to prepare well ahead.  If you notice that many of the recipes I am posting lately are not vegan, it is because I am putting aside many of my vegan posts for MoFo.

Above is a copycat of one of my Vegan MoFo photos.  Sylvia watched me set up my plate for a photo and decided she would style her dad's plate.  I think she feels sorry for him that he often gets the ugly plate of food (which means he eats while I photograph).  I thought it was really cute that she used some cheese off her plate for the photos but it means I wont use them photo in September when everything on my blog will be vegan.  It is a challenge because I am not vegan, although I do eat a lot of vegan food.  But I think it will be fun and a great way of connecting with really interesting bloggers.

I am sending this post to Celia at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial for her In My Kitchen event.  Head over to join in and/or check out what is happening in other bloggers' kitchens.  

41 comments:

  1. Lots of great stuff there :) Salt keeper?! Pah I say! You're right, no poetry in that! Salt hog is just so great. I have this image of you walking with slumped shoulders to and from your salt keeper! Must admit to a lack of enthusiasm for MoFo right now, I had a theme idea but having trouble thinking of recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veganopoulous - ha ha - my kitchen isn't big enough to do lots of walking to and fro the salt keeper - just as well or I would do it with slumped shoulders :-) I decided not to do a theme for MoFo but now one seems to present itself to me - though is needing a bit of massaging - argh - was trying to keep it lowkey!

      Delete
  2. If you were near, I would have given you on of many of my salt 'pigs' I have too many that D would be happy for me to donate them to friends :) Thanks for the heads up regarding VeganMofo I will be signing up too, I enjoyed it last year. I love beetroot burgers but never had it with corugette as well. I have yet to find a place here where they sell sushi moulds, have never come across them in person (other than the web) would love them. And finally ugly plates of food, so funny of Sylvia _ I tend to get the ugly plate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shaheen I am jealous of all your salt pigs - I am sure I have seen some lovely ones and thought that one is enough and now I wish I had a whole family of them. Glad to hear you will be doing MoFo. Highly recommend sushi moulds - it is a good way to do sylvia's lunch ahead of time. Found a few really cute ones but the shop where I bought them has closed. It was very cute of sylvia - she is a food blogger in the making - had me photograph her breakfast this morning :-)

      Delete
  3. Love the beetroot and zucchini burger. I have not seen the peanut butter Snickers, but something tells me I better avoid them because I am sure I'd love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - yes that peanut butter snickers is very tempting - though I liked how it was in two squares - made it easier to stop at the first one and save the second for E :-)

      Delete
  4. Those sushi molds look awesome. I don't make sushi that often since it is quite labour intensive but that looks like it would stay together a while...
    Can't wait to see your MoFo posts... gosh, what a crazy time to choose to do MoFo! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet - Sylvia doesn't like filled sushi and I find it really quick to cook rise and wrap it in nori - the moulds are great because I can make them for her lunch the day before. I have some exciting MoFo posts and some on more ordinary food I make.

      Delete
  5. Hi Johanna!
    I really enjoy this feature on your blog, very cool. The Beetroot and Zucchini Burger sounds good. However, I really love those thoughtful moulds your hubby picked up. Way cool, lol...Thanks for sharing, Johanna...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - the burgers were delicious - I might have to send my mum to buy some more things from the stall for when I am at her place. And the moulds are very cute aren't they!

      Delete
  6. I know what you mean about kids suddenly going off food they used to like. Mine seem to be doing that a lot lately and refusing to try new things like they used to. I served dhal to my youngest the other day and his response: "Mam, is that throw-up peas?" Sheesh! Love all the new things in your kitchen and that veggie burger with the beetroot looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth - some of the things that kids say about dinner is just so dispiriting - I had falafel on the weekend and told sylvia she used to like it as a kid and I just got a bored look - whatever happened to that kid who ate all that stuff!! I just console myself that she loves nori and tofu bacon and chickpeas and brussels sprouts! And maybe one day she will love a beetroot vegie burgers :-)

      Delete
  7. That veggie burger looks delish - as does the lunch boxes. I am looking forward to your posts during Vegan MoFo - I am a veggie but love vegan food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorna - I have some good stuff for Vegan MoFo - I love vegan food too and am excited to have a bit of motivation to try more.

      Delete
  8. I love the look of Sylvia's lunchboxes! I am also very taken with the look and sound of your beetroot burger, as well as your potato scones. I've tried and enjoyed those Nairns fruit oat cakes too. Have you seen / tried the ginger variety? I think I like them even more, although remember them being a bit on the pricey side in Australia (I have seen them here cheaper but not yet bought any).

    Also, thanks, as always, for reminding me of the Vegan MoFo date! You do an excellent job of that and I have just signed up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - the nairns biscuits were a bit pricey to buy regularly - I bought them in a deli in Nicholson st in North Carlton but not sure I have seen them elsewhere - am pleased you have signed up to Vegan MoFo - I haven't signed up yet as I am still refining my theme. (I thought it useful to remind people - esp as I got caught out last year when it came earlier so am not trying to be a bit vigilant)

      Delete
  9. That all looks delicious. I keep meaning to try making potato scones. Those beetroot burgers are an amazing colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - I sometimes make a little extra mashed potato just so I have enough for scones - these ones are great with a bit of quinoa in it too.

      Delete
  10. Vegan MoFo already! Yikes. I'm still uncertain where I'll be or what I'll be doing with my life in September so I'm holding off signing up just yet. I really enjoyed it last year though so would definitely like to do it again.
    Those beetroot burgers look really good. I've seen quite a few recipes, none of which I've got around to trying yet...
    My Mum loves those Nairn's biscuits. Have you seen the choc chip ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks emma - I am a bit uncertain about what September will bring too - it has been quite a crazy year and September is usually a crazy month with birthdays and anniversaries but with planning I am feeling I can do it. Will be pleased if you can do it but there are always other years if life intervenes :-) I have tried at least one beetroot burger on my blog which came from fat free vegan that was very good. I haven't seen the choc chip nairns biscuits but want to try them - everything is better with chocolate

      Delete
  11. Thanks Johanna for the link to the Monthly. I am sending that to everyone I know. Although I knew about this, the article details the overall issues very well. It's back to markets and small traders for me, no more Coles and Woolworths unless I am desperate for toilet paper!

    I also like the little sushi moulds- handy for a quick bit to stuff or roll. F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Francesca (glad the comments are working for you) - I felt quite depressed reading the article but it was also a good reminder not to get lazy - I shop at supermarkets but try and make it part of a wide range of places I shop rather than the only one.

      Delete
  12. Those smoked walnuts sound amazing! I walked past a Daiso store on the weekend. i should have popped in to see what they had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - the smoked walnuts are so so so good - my supply is getting low and there are still so many ways I would love to use them. I have only been to Daiso once and was not as enamoured as E is - but then again he has bought home a lot of their really good stuff.

      Delete
  13. Snickers bars have always been my favourite chocolate bar. You do make Sylvia a lovely lunch box. Your beetroot and zucchini burger looks lovely and you certainly got a bargain with those pink lady apples xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - Yay for snickers bars but what a shame I can't eat them as much as I once did! Yep, I did well at the farmers market on a quick visit - but the lunchboxes always feel very rushed in the morning.

      Delete
  14. i have several salt pigs- wooden and ceramic. I just love them! i have seen similar ones to your green one online. I know fishpond has several different ones online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry - salt pigs make me feel like I am in a big country kitchen. I hadn't looked online - was too busy trying to remember where I had seen them in the shops - have looked on fishpond and there are quite a few I fancy. Thanks for your suggestion!

      Delete
    2. fishpond has so many diverse and interesting things doesn't it?:)

      Delete
  15. That burger looks beautiful, and I love Sylvia's plating skills!

    I too am preparing for mofo, and wondering how I will manage it! This will be my second year. Last year was a fly by the seat of my pants kind of event, but hopefully this time I will be slightly more organised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caeli - good to hear you will be doing MoFo - last year was my most organised year of MoFo - I think it is easier to be organised when you have done it once and understand it better - good luck!

      Delete
  16. G'day! Love the idea of mashed potato cake and scones! Thanks also for this month's view!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing. I agree, that green salt pig is lovely. Great looking packed lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well I love potato scones so if Sylvia has gone off them, I'm happy to have her share! I'll have to keep an eye out for the little sushi moulds when I'm next at Daiso. There is *always* something on your blog that sends me off to the shops! Cheers xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is the second IMK post I've read this morning that's mentioned Daiso - I'm going to have to make another visit, I think! I always come back with so much stuff! Do love the little sushi mould though - that might justify a visit! And I think we have to be fussy about our salt containers, right? After all, we use them every day. I'm inclined to agree with you - the little spoon hanging on the back would annoy me too! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay- looking fwd to your mofo posts! I may get around to doing it one year myself, maybe when the kids are 20 haha! Love the look of everything in your kitchen. The burger and lunch boxes look so good. How cool are the sushi molds! My Sylvia loves those cheesy scrolls as well!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love these kitchen posts--it has been far too long since I've been in your kitchen! You are a very brave woman indeed to sign up for MoFo again! I am not sure I could manage 5 posts (min) a week, but will definitely consider it now. :) I always love seeing familiar products over there, too, like the Nairns. I used to buy them all the time--totally forgot about them! We tried the berry ones once and they were lovely. And your burger looks great (plus Pink Ladies are my very favorite type of apple--such a good price, even for Canada!!). :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. lost of wonderful things going on in your kitchen this month! This is the second time someone has talked a bout Dasio... I better go and have a look! Thanks for sharing! Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yep I agree that winter produce gets a bit sad. At least you can restock your freezer with apple cake having so many apples now ;-)
    Your beetroot & zucchini burger looks fab! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow - so many great eats!
    Those sushi molds are so cute =) What a great idea.
    Can't blame anyone for liking Daiso ;p

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)