Wednesday 30 June 2010

The Comforts of Rice Pudding

"Both the heart and the stomach thrill to … an old fashioned rice pudding that makes magic of just milk, rice and sugar", wrote Terry Durack in the The Age Good Weekend Magazine this weekend just passed.

It is a lovely piece that articulates the Australian attitudes to puddings. They are not as the English seem to think, “anything served at the tail end of the meal”. Puddings are sweet, sticky, stodgy, steamy mounds of nostalgia. They are warm with dense, cake-like crumb, plump dried fruit, sweet stewed fruit and never complete without a sauce or cream of some sort. This is comfort food as mum made it.

I made rice pudding on Sunday night. E has been hankering after it because he remembers his mum making it for him as a child. I asked his sister HH about it and she said yes she remembered it cooking such a long time that she would smell it when she got home from school. Like my mum’s, it was filled with creamy sweet clumpy rice and plump sultanas under a brown skin.

I was never crazy about my mum’s rice pudding. But making just the sort of pudding we had as children filled me with nostalgia and it tasted just so good. It made me think of the 9 of us seated around the big wooden table with our spoons by us, watching my mother with a stack of dessert bowls and a large serving spoon ready to dig into the a steaming dish of rice pudding. She gave each bowl of rice pudding a splash of milk and a sprinkle of sugar before passing it out to us. I remember our old yellow plastic sugar bowl but I can’t remember if she put the milk in a jug.

I’m not the only one to find it evocative. E loved it. I asked if it was like his mum’s and he said his mum’s had even less liquid but was very similar. (Whereas I thought my mum’s was a little more creamy.) We expected Sylvia to eat it because she loves rice and sweet food but she just picked out the sultanas. Maybe one day she will learn to love it.

Despite the rice pudding being a trip down memory lane, I was aware that I have changed and I felt that it needed stewed fruit after seeing Nigel’s rice pudding with poached damsons. Being winter here, stewed apple and/or rhubarb seemed quite fitting but I had blueberries in the freezer and made a quick sauce with them.

It is not the first time I have revisited rice pudding. Last time I veered even further from my mum’s with a chocolate rice pudding made on the stove top. Lately when talking to my mum she told me that rice pudding on the stove top was actually called creamed rice. Traditional rice pudding is cooked slowly in the oven. It is so easy that I could put in the oven and go outside to play with Sylvia while it cooked.

Eating such family dishes bring about such comfort through filling the tummy and nurturing the soul. They are not just about our childhoods but they connect us to our foremothers. My mum learned a lot of her cooking from her own mother. My grandmother is very much in my thoughts at the moment after visiting her in hospital yesterday. She would be proud of my rice pudding.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: Awesomely Delicious GF Pumpkin Brownies
This time two years ago:
Airport Novels and Comfort Food
This time three years ago:
Crown Cake for Princess Madeline

Rice Pudding with Blueberries
serves 4-6

Rice pudding
From Australian Women’s Weekly Old Fashioned Favourites

2½ cups milk (I used full fat)
½ cup uncooked medium grain rice (I used Arborio rice)
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup sultanas
½ tsp vanilla essence (I used ½ a vanilla bean)
2 tsp butter
freshly grated nutmeg (about ½ tsp)

Blueberry sauce:

1½ cups blueberries (I used frozen)
splash of lemon (about a teaspoon)
generous splash of maple syrup (maybe a tablespoon)
1 teaspoon of cornflour (optional)

Mix milk, rice and sugar in a greased medium baking dish. Add vanilla essence if using. If using a vanilla bean, slice it in half and scrape the insides into the milk mixture. Mix and then place the bean pods on top of the mixture. Dot with butter. Bake at 160 C (or 170 C if like me you have a slow old oven) for about 1 hour. Remove from oven and grate nutmeg over the top. Return to the oven for another 20 minutes. It is ready when there is a slightly browned skin on top and then pudding feels firm to touch because the rice has absorbed most of the milk.

When the pudding is cooked, let sit aside and prepare the blueberry sauce by gently bringing all ingredients to the boil in a saucepan. (If you add cornflour add just a little liquid to dissolve it before adding to mixture so it doesn’t get lumpy.) Serve warm rice pudding with warm blueberry sauce.

On the stereo:
Schattenkrieger: Schattenspiel

10 comments:

  1. Rice pudding really is such a familiar, familial, comforting dessert :) Perfect for winter! Apparently the dessert my grandma used to make a lot was junket, but to be honest I'm not so keen on making milk jelly.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh, I love rice pudding... I remember having it as a child, too! :-) Your idea of adding a blueberry sauce is absolutely brilliant - I can't wait to introduce Zach to this recipe this weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. da bomb! I've been having rice porridge for breakfast lately...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sylvia and I could share a rice pudding. I prefer it without sultanas, so Sylvia could help me out. I like the sound of it with blueberries though. My mum makes great rice pudding. I like lots of freshly grated nutmeg on mine. No skin, I like it quite runny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love rice pudding - and rice pudding with blueberries must be super duper. I am going home to visit my mother at the end of July, and I now want her rice pudding - so many good memories ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a schoolgirl I avoided the 'skin' on rice pudding but now that lovely caramelised part is the best bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Hannah - I would give junket a miss too - though there are things my mum made that I thought I would never make and rice pudding was one of these (didn't count on E's persistent requests) - so I guess never say never!

    Thanks Astra - saw your blueberries in a crumble recently and was tempted by the pack in the freezer - hope zach enjoys this - just saw a post today where someone had a cold rice pudding in summer, which would be excellent with berries

    Thanks Carla - sounds an excellent idea - is it hot or cold?

    Thanks Jacqueline - I thought of putting blueberries in place of sultanas while cooking the pud but this would just make it too purple - hmmm maybe that wouldn't be a terrible thing! I don't think I liked the skin when I was little but I loved it this week (didn't stir occasionally as the recipe suggested)

    Thanks Cakelaw - rice pudding at your mum's in July sounds like the ultimate comfort

    Thanks Tessa - I have an abhorrence of milk skin but I am coming to see that the skin on rice pudding is much much more than that

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore rice pudding too! But I found it funny that when I lived in Japan, they seemed to find the concept of rice pudding bizarre (and not in a good way). I guess that means more for me! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow 9 of you around the table, so that means you have 6 siblings? Big family. I only have 1 sibling. I hope your grandmother is doing okay. The way you describe Australian pudding makes me really want to try your version! Yummm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, this post certainly brought back memories for me--my mum used to bake a rice pudding that was very similar, in a square glass Pyrex pan. And boy, did it ever have that characteristic skin! The custard used to hover on top of some very dense, slightly dry rice mixture (sort of like E's, I reckon), and then she stirred the whole thing together before serving it, which wrecked a perfectly good custard, in my opinion. ;) Yours looks very creamy, though!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)