Saturday 19 July 2008

Stouty Oatmeal Beer Bread

I think it would be safe to say that I have baked more bread this winter than in any previous winter. I am on a mission to bake more bread. One day I will finally graduate to sourdough baking but for now the yeasted bread is tasting just fine.

So I am interested in finding tasty and easy bread recipes. Susan’s regular Yeast Spotting at Wild Yeast is a good place to start looking. I have also been interested in Celine’s bread baking at Have Cake Will Travel. She has posted some good quirky ones lately like her peanut butter bread. But what has really fascinated me has been her addition of ‘vital wheat gluten’. I finally have discovered what I think is the local equivalent – gluten flour – thanks to Cindy. Of course I had to try it. I think I am right in claiming that it makes ordinary cake flour into strong high-gluten bread flour.

So with my new packet of gluten flour, I set out to try one of Celine’s bread recipes. In my searching I was delighted to find that although she has a bread machine, she has really helpful instructions on how to convert a bread machine recipe for those of us without such technical help.

The recipe I chose was an Oatmeal Beer Bread. I tried to follow Celine’s recipe but she called for oatmeal stout and all I could find was a more ordinary barley and wheat stout. Of course I didn’t need to use the whole bottle so E drank the remainder.

He amused me by reminiscing about stout while he drank half a glass of the stuff. Apparently he first drank stout when he was taken on a school outing to a pub in his last year of school. This made me laugh. No wonder the Scots know how to drink if they teach them at school. He did protest that it was extra-cirricular activitives - but really! Then he the told me that stout is an old lady’s drink and Ena Shaples from beloved British soap, Coronation Street, enjoyed a pint of stout. Well, I always thought it was a manly drink and that ‘girls’ drank fizzy lager. But according to the Corrie Blog, stout is often prescribed to new mothers and the sick because of its additional value. Well, my dad does say he could have a can of guiness for a meal!

Back to the bread. Celine’s method was by bread machine so I had an opportunity to find that her conversions to a hand method worked well. And the bread was soft and had a good texture. But when I asked E how it was he replied, ‘stouty’. I was surprised at how strongly you can smell the stout in the bread. I am still swithering about if I like that or not. One moment I think I will use a lighter beer next time, and the next moment I think I really enjoy the added flavour and will stick with stout. I’m not complaining. I have been enjoying it for breakfast this week. It toasts up a treat!

(PS. I am particularly pleased to get this post up because I had it written a few days ago and for 2 or 3 days running my internet connection has been so bad I couldn't post it. Most displeased!)

Oatmeal Beer Bread
(adapted from Betty Crocker’s Bread Machine Cookbook via Celine)
makes 1 small loaf: a 20cm loaf tin

2 tsp (7g) dried yeast
3 tbsp brown sugar
¼ cup lukewarm water
1 cup lukewarm flat oatmeal stout or other beer
2 tbsp softened butter or margarine
2 cups bread flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
½ cup rolled oats
2 tbsp soy milk powder [optional, I didn’t use]
4 tsp vital wheat gluten or gluten flour [optional, I did use]
1¼ tsp sea salt

Proof the yeast by mixing it with the sugar, stout and warm water in a bowl and setting aside for about 10 minutes. It should start to go just a little foamy. I did this in the large mixing bowl I used to mix the dough but you could do it in a small bowl and spend the 10 minutes placing the remaining ingredients in the large bowl.

Mix remaining ingredients with the yeast mixture to form a shaggy dough. Knead on a lightly floured board for about 7-10 minutes til the texture of an ear lobe. My dough was very sticky and needed quite a lot of flour as I kneaded. Place the dough in the bowl (I didn’t grease the bowl in deference to my friend Yaz’s claim that it impedes growth) and cover with a damp tea towel. Set aside in a warm place about 90 minutes or until doubled in size.

Punch down and shape to form a loaf. Place in a lightly greased small loaf tin (mine is about 20 x 13cm). Cover and set aside in warm place for about 60 minutes or til doubled in size. Bake 30-40 minutes (I think mine baked 30 minutes and then I returned it to the oven out of the tin for another 10 minutes so the crust could toughen up a little.)

Remove from tin once the bread is baked and cool on a rack before slicing.

On the stereo:
A Rush of Blood to the Head: Coldplay

12 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious and looks definitely yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so good, I have to try that bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, when I read the title I assumed this was another beer bread (w/o yeast)--but of course the photo alone was enough to tell me otherwise (too high and light!).

    Your breads are always gorgeous. I'm not sure I'd enjoy a "stouty" flavor, either (especially not for breakfast!). And what a drag about the internet connection--technology is great when it works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a lovely loaf of bread Johanna!

    I hope your connection is working better now, that can drive you round the twist!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks vegeyum - it was a very tasty bread

    thanks veggie - yes do try!

    thanks Ricki - I did find this stouty bread unlike I expected by surprisingly pleasing - unlike my internet connection last week

    thanks Holler - my wireless broadband seems to come and go at whim but last week was a bad one when every time I went to post it was thwarting me for quite a few days in a row

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I do love my bread! I bet it would be delicious with chili or something similar. I'm glad you had access to vital wheat gluten, it's a very unique type of flour. I find it's a common ingredient in a lot of vegetarian/vegan "fake meat" recipes and adds a very specific texture to the food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds really interesting, and a lovely light loaf. I always think of stout being a very manly drink as well. Maybe that's why it stands up to toasting so well!

    I'm interested to hear that you had problems getting hold of wheat gluten as well - I've never found any here, but I wonder if our bread flour has more gluten than US flour?

    Glad your internet's back up and running!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stout in bread, I'm sold! I've only ever tried stout in chocolate cupcakes before, and those were a big success. Besides, we've just moved to the San Francisco area and it's really surprisingly cold, so I'm looking for an excuse to heat up the oven.
    A friend in college once told me horror stories about Guinness and their, er, protein sources for their stout. Something about cleaning out the tanks, finding dead critters, cleaning those out and realizing the beer didn't taste as good. I really, really hope that that's urban myth, the stuff with which upperclassmen try to scare young, unsuspecting freshmen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks great. i love beer in bread. my next bread is going to be this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks LisaRene - I am now interested in vital wheat gluten and am going to post more about it.

    thanks Lysy - this is the only place I have found wheat gluten and wouldn't have known if Cindy hasn't pointed it out because I wasn't sure what to look for (and it went by the name gluten flour) - it just looked like regular flour and there was very little on the packet to illuminate me!

    Thanks Neen - I am happy to believe this is urban myth - although I know some of these beers aren't vegetarian but I think that is because of fish scales being used to filer them

    Thanks bee - I like beer in bread but haven't come across one that is so strong before which is why I found it strangely beguiling!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a good bread to have with a hearty winter soup. Thanks for sending it to YeastSpotting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just did a Google search for oatmeal beer bread and found this site. Your recipe sounds good if a little small. I've been making bread for about a year now (not long, I know) and this winter tried beer bread. I didn't have a recipe so just substituted beer for water. This worked out fairly well, but I was looking for a more crusty bread, so I started to reduce the sugar content and put a pan of boiling water in the bottom of the oven. I have been using Yuengling Lager, but tonight am using Guinness Extra Stout.

    3 cups whole wheat flour
    4 cups white wheat bread flour
    1 1/2 cups oatmeal
    1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
    4 tsp sea salt
    5 tsp sugar
    4 tsp active dry yeast
    4 tsp olive oil
    22 oz. Guinness warm and flat
    1 medium egg
    After second rising split in two and place in 9.25 x 5.25 x 2.75 in. bread pans. After rising in pans, brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with rolled oats. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 min. with pan of boiling water in bottom of oven, remove from pans and return to oven for 10 min.
    Good hearty bread with soups or stews and makes great toast with coffee in the morning.

    I'm just a novice at this and wish I started back in my 30's rather in my late 50's but, I've really been enjoying bread making.

    David

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)