Wednesday 27 July 2016

Nutella stuffed pancakes (eggless with vegan option)

The weekend we had a day at home to potter about and try to organise the house.  Some messy corners were tamed and regular chores done, I found some time to read my book and Sylvia went to the park with a friend, but best of all was starting the day with fluffy pancakes oozing with a blob of decadent Nutella in the middle.

Last winter I first tried making these stuffed nutella pancakes with a favourite banana oat pancake recipe.  With nutella in the house this weekend, Sylvia requested it for breakfast.  I tweaked the pancakes we often make (based on Vegan Brunch) and nutella worked so much better in these.  In fact I wasn't going to blog it but I just loved how fluffy these pancakes were that I wanted to make notes of what I did.

Of course, as I said last time that I posted about this idea, you could put nutella in the middle of any favourite pancake mixture.  I highly recommend trying it in the middle of these fluffy pancakes.  As the pancake mixture is vegan, you could easily make it vegan by using a chocolate spread in the middle.

Check out more nutella recipes and ideas at Green Gourmet Giraffe.

Nutella Stuffed Pancakes
Adapted from Vegan Brunch
Makes about 8 pancakes

1 cup plain white flour
1/2 cup plain wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cup soy milk
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla essence

To cook:
margarine for frying
1/3-1/2 cup nutella (or chocolate spread)

Mix all ingredients together.  (You can mix dry and wet ingredients separately and then mix or you could mix them in a blender but I just put them in in order that I listed them.)

Heat a frypan to medium to medium high heat.  Rub a knob of about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of margarine to cover frypan (I use a teaspoon to do this.) 

Drop heaped dessertspoonfuls of mixture on frypan and use the back of the spoon to spread each as much as possible into a circle.  Drop a heaped teaspoon on nutella in the middle of each pancake and cover with as much pancake mixture needed so you can't see any nutella.  Fry for a few minutes until pancakes looks cooked (the texture will dry out a little and there might be a few bubbles).  Flip over and use an eggflipper (spatula) to flatten slightly.  Cook another minute or two until cooked through and remove to a plate.  Best eaten warm.

On the Stereo:
Singles: Suede

13 comments:

  1. It sounds like a lovely weekend and starting the day with these would certainly get things going in a positive direction. I'm always interested to see different vegan pancake recipe options so will note yours for when I want a fluffy variety - they look great and almost like hotcakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I really liked this pancake recipe but just seem to keep tweaking this recipe and then loving it every time - hope it works for you if you get to try it

      Delete
  2. I am hoping to make some pancakes this w/e with berries from the garden. I think there is a knack avoiding heavy dense pancakes and achieving fluffy ones and if you can achieve this, fantastic. I love that these have a hidden surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - the hidden surprise is the most fun and I think it made the pancakes seem quite fluffy because it made them so tall

      Delete
  3. I really need to organise my house as well! It's become a case of not really knowing where to start. I love the look of these and I know my little guy would adore them - he just loves pancakes with nutella xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - my house is a bit like that - I enjoy the little victories - definitely an easy treat for your little guy!

      Delete
  4. I am so excited by this post - stuffed pancakes? You bet. Already dreaming up what I could stuff them with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chocolette - you are right - there are so many variations you could try - hope to hear how you go

      Delete
  5. Stuffed pancakes are just calling my name! I love the idea of making them with vegan nutella - I keep meaning to make some at home, but until then, store bought sounds good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - store bought vegan nutella definitely is a great second best - I've tried one store bought vegan version in previous versions of stuffed pancakes and had no complaints

      Delete
  6. I have to admit that just reading the title of this post made me laugh with glee. I have been on a nutella eating high lately. I found some vegan nutella and have been happily munching on it on toast & rice cakes.
    The idea of stuffing it in pancakes is pure genius! I wonder if I can make them gluten-free...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - I love nutella on rice cakes - there is something about the chocolate and crunch that works so well - as for putting it in pancakes like these you can just try it with your favourite gf pancake batter

      Delete
  7. Oooooh..... Nutella IN pancakes? Yum! I'll have a whole pile please!
    Wonder if they would work with GF flour?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)