Monday 26 May 2014

Street Art in Melbourne #6 Aboriginal art for Sorry Day

Today is National Sorry Day.  This is the day to remember the history of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Australia and the injustices they suffered.  It heralds the start of National Reconciliation Week which celebrates two important moments in Aboriginal history: the anniversary of the 1967 referendum when Aboriginal people were given the vote and the 1992 Mabo ruling that was a breakthrough in landrights for Aboriginal people.  To celebrate our national Indigenous culture I bring you some images of Aboriginal art and images from around Melbourne.

An underpass in Merri Parade, Northcote


Gertrude Street, Fitzroy

Robinson Reserve Neighbourhood House, Coburg


Fitzroy St, Fitzroy

Gate to Peppertree Place, Coburg

While I am taking a blog break, I am sharing some photos of street art that I have taken over the last few months.  I will return with more food posts in June. 

Update July 2014: I have added a photo from Fitzroy St that fitted with this group of photos.  It is by a (non-Indigenous) street artist called Adnate (who also did the Gertrude St painting).

10 comments:

  1. Compelling art for this celebration. I hadn't heard of it though I'm familiar with some of the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this way of marking the day - and the art itself. In addition to all the other things Melbourne does well (autumn leaves included it would seem!), Indigenous art can be added to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an important day for Australia. We took too long to say Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these captivating artwork and images to honor the culture. My favorites are the kid's face and the hand. I must check this place out if I drop by Melbourne! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you forn sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fab indigenous inspired street art! There is the face of a sweet Aboriginal child on the side of a building on the way to Richmond from South Yarra on the train too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect art to pair with the holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The image of the turtle is my favourite but there is a lot a wonderful work and talent here xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had not heard of Sorry Day, thank you for sharing some truly captivating art work to praise Aboriginal culture in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aboriginal Art also helps to produce a genre of landscape art, a bird's eye view of the desert scene. Their ethnicity has also been recorded as rock art.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)