Tuesday 31 August 2010

Banana buttermilk muffins

Last week I arranged to go over to see my friend Nicki and her baby Poppy. While I waited for Sylvia to wake from her long sleep I baked muffins. I idly flicked through cookbooks until I found a recipe for banana buttermilk muffins that would use some of the items that lingered in the kitchen.

Along the way I found my orange was a mandarin and decided I needed to use raspberries that had been in the freezer too long rather than use the dates that had been in the pantry too long.

I had a lovely time at Nicki’s. She had made poppyseed, orange and prune muffins (you can see them in the photo with the green muffin paper). Both babies had a lovely time eating their muffins. Sylvia’s favourite word is ‘more’ at the moment, even when she is mid-muffin. She certainly was asking for more muffins. They were both delicious.

Nicki and I talked about children’s books. She has been thinking about them because not only does she love reading them to Poppy but she has also written one and it is being published soon. I can’t wait to get my copy. Meanwhile, I took a photo of one of Sylvia’s favourite toys at the moment – the alien in the sock who is always with her in the car – I thought it would appeal to Nicki who has a fascination for slug and bugs.

I am sending these muffins to Helen at Fuss Free Flavours for her Breakfast Club (#3) because the theme this month is muffins! There are still 5 days to get a muffin to Helen if like me you love trying different flavours.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year:
The old and the new – date scones and vego loaf
This time two years ago: Shepherd’s Pie Traditions
This time three years ago: WTSIM ... Beggars Burgers


Banana buttermilk muffins

source unrecorded (it was many years ago that I jotted it down)
Makes 12 muffins
  • ¾ cup white self raising flour
  • ¾ cup wholemeal self raising flour
  • ¼ tsp level bicarbonate soda
  • pinch salt
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • ½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1 tsp grated orange rind (I used mandarin)
  • ½ cup dates finely chopped (I used frozen raspberries)
  • ¼ cup neutral oil, such as canola
  • ¾ cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg lightly beaten
  • 1 banana mashed
Place dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients (if you use raspberries rather than dates then add the raspberries after you have mixed up everything else). Spoon into greased or lined muffin tin. Bake at 210 C for 20-25 minutes. Cool on a rack.

On the Stereo:
Haunted Graves, Moving Waves: Current 93

9 comments:

  1. They look delicious Johanna, perfect for breakfast. I'm not surprised Sylvia was asking for 'more'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple and delicious muffins. :) I like them this way, rather than the ones studded with sugar and butter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, the raspberry muffins were gorgeous, thank you. Poppy didn't manage to get her little grabbers on any of them, as I ate them all up! She did however eat astonishing amounts of the orange and poppyseed variety. Hope to see you for more eats and sweets (the sweets being our little bubs) soon. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! I just popped some overripe bananas in teh freezer and had actually been meaning to make muffins with frozen raspberries with them.... and here you are, providing me with a tried-and-true recipe! Love Sylvia's beanie, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious wholesome muffins. Perfect for any time of day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those muffins looks amazing. Thank you very much for the recipe.
    Have you tried using white sugar instead of brown sugar?

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks C - I suspect if sylvia could she would say more to convince me to make another batch

    Thanks Anh - these are my sort of muffins too - plain to look at but lots of food fruit within

    Thanks Nicki - sylvia loved both muffins and they went rather quickly - if only I could blame her!

    Thanks Hannah - wow our kitchens are sounding scarily alike - hope you enjoy the muffins, btw sylvia has mittens to match but not the will to wear them

    Thanks Katie - yes I eat them any time of day though E can be funny about when he eats baked goods

    Thanks Sharon - I much prefer brown sugar but am sure white sugar would work fine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm these muffins look really good! I love how the top is nice and browned and perfectly shaped.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally the round up for Breakfast Club Muffins is up!

    http://fussfreeflavours.com/2010/09/breakfast-club-3-muffins-the-round-up/

    Thanks for taking part and we'd love to see you next month!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)