Sunday 19 April 2009

Easter Nut Roast and Feasting

We went down to Geelong to have Easter Sunday lunch with my family. My mum made a roast dinner so I took along a nut roast. Initially I thought I would make a tried and trusted recipe but then came across a recipe for a Crunchy Nut Roast on a website called Are you on a Budget? It interested me because it had cornflakes, wheat flakes or weetbix in it. I had a few mini packets of weetbix so I was curious to try it.

The nut roast was quite easy to put together. The name led me to believe that there would be some crunch in nut roast. I don’t eat weetbix often these days but had them in hospital recently and when I poured juice on them, I remembered how quickly they soften to mush. It was no different in this nut roast which was very soft and cereally. No crunch! There was also a lack of seasoning in the recipe. I thought maybe this was due to there being so much salt in weetbix but it could have done with some extra seasoning (which I have included in the recipe below). I got away with this given the flavoursome sides served with the nut roast.

We managed to arrive just as dinner was about to be served so my mum heated the nut roast in the microwave. I was a bit distracted with feeding Sylvia so I wasn’t overly observant with the food served, nor did I remember to photograph more of it. I hope my memory is correct. I think a few of my family had a little of the nut roast. There were so many side vegetables (as well as some roast meat) that it went a long way. I had nut roast, chutney, roast potatoes, roast pumpkin, roast parsnip, peas, cauliflower cheese, sautéed zucchini and eggplant. Happily we were able to take home leftovers, which we had that night with apricot chutney, corn and broccoli.

I also took down some mars bar slice (in lieu of easter eggs) and date chocolate and walnut loaf (a version of Frances’ loaf). There was a tyranny of choice in desserts. Not only was there bowls of easter eggs on the side board but there were also apple pie, pavlova, brownies, nanimo bars, and a wonderful gluten free apricot and cranberry cake. I went home with a swag of leftovers but forgot to take some of my mum’s hot cross buns – luckily she brought me up some a few days later. As you can see, I managed much feasting despite only eating one Easter egg this year.

Cereal Nut Roast
(Adapted from Crunchy Nut Loaf Recipe)
Serves 4-6

1 tbsp oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 cups of cornflakes, wheat flakes or crushed Weetbix (6 bricks or 90g of Weetbix)
1 medium carrot, grated
¾ cup ground almonds
½ cup cottage cheese
3 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
Seasoning

Pre heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Fry onion, celery and garlic in oil for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and mix in remaining ingredients. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper as required. Grease and line a loaf tin (I used my 13 x 22cm silicone loaf tin which doesn’t need any greasing or lining). Spoon into tin and bake for 40 – 70 minutes (it took me 70 minutes but the recipe suggests 40) or til firm and golden.

On the stereo:
Dark Black Embers: Current 93

9 comments:

  1. Yum sounds like quite the feast! Too bad your nut roast didn't turn out as you'd hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very brave, trying weetabix in a nut roast! It certainly sounds interesting and I'm glad you had such a feast to go with it. Your family gatherings sound amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love nut roasts, and always feel like crying when Ive tried making them and theyve failedy! Shop bought have always been more successful. I WILL try this 1, hopefully I can make it work too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you are making me crave nutroast these days! I'm going to have to make another one, and soon. That Easter spread sounds marvelous--especially all those wonderful desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ashley - the nutroast was not as I imagined but still most delicious - but than again I don't think I ever met a nut roast I didn't like

    Thanks Lysy - I like quirky ingredients so this intrigued me

    Thanks Flower - I used to get store bought nut roasts in the UK but no such thing round these parts :-(

    Thanks Ricki - of course you do - we all need more nut roasts in our lives (or is that just me???)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the early 80s we took our boys to London and found weetbix! Everybody loved them so much we had to bring boxes home. When they were gone, there were none to be found in Dallas. Wonder if maybe now. Have to look.
    Sounds like a wonderful meal even without crunch in the nut roast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't had much luck with nutroasts in the past. Yours always look so good though it makes me want some!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Tanna - how strange that you don't have them - as a kid I loved them with brown sugar and hot milk in winter but also occasionally like crackers with butter and jam or vegemite - hope you find them!

    Thanks Vegetation - hope you try again - I have never had problems with nut roasts but I did start making them inspired by a housemate who made excellent ones so I had guidance!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)