Monday 13 December 2010

Being thankful for muesli slice

The past week has shown me some of the worst of humanity. It saw the 30th anniversary of John Lennon’s death, a witch hunt for Julian Assange and my parents’ home being burgled. And two weekends ago we went to one of the worst carol services I have ever been to. It is not all bad. At least we had an excellent museli slice to get us through the week.

The carrols service was terrible because there were only two Christmas songs (not carols) in over an hour that we stayed. The rest of music was unbearably loud and had nothing to do with Christmas – would you expect Oasis, The Monkeys, Wild Cherry (as in Play that Funky Music White Boy) and The Wiggles at a carols service?

Fortunately I packed a yummy picnic for us to enjoy even though we couldn’t hear any conversation over the music. I took along some salad sandwiches, cheese and biscuits, and falafels and chopped vegies. But the piece de resistance, as far as Sylvia was concerned, were the muesli squares I baked that afternoon. Though I have a few healthy muesli slice recipes, I keep looking for alternative slices to make for Sylvia.

This most recent muesli bar was a recipe from Frances at Crunchy Green Things and it was excellent. Great soft texture and not too sweet, but filled with oats, whole wheat and dried fruit. Sylvia loves this “mia” (as she calls muesli bars). Her eyes light up when she asks for a piece (usually at an inappropriate moment such as when I am telling her to eat her vegies). Sometimes she even yells out “mia” with a naughty grin because she knows she is unlikely to get it. It is a sweet treat I am happy to be able to give to her. I am sure I will be making it again soon.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: The Witchery - Scottish Fine Dining
This time two years ago: Rice and Beans
This time three years ago: How does our garden grow!


Rustic Muesli Squares
From Crunchy Green Things
Makes about 42 squares

  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • ½ cup dessicated coconut
  • 2 weetbix, crushed (or ½ cup wheatgerm)
  • ½ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
  • 400g mixed dried fruit, chopped (I used apricot, prunes, fig)
  • ½ cup currants or sultanas
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup fruit juice
  • ¼ cup honey (I'd like to try malt syrup as a substitute)
  • ¼ cup milk

Preheat oven to 180C, and line a lamington tin with baking paper.

In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients, including the dried fruit. Stir to mix well. In a small bowl, lightly whisk together the wet ingredients. It is ok if the honey doesn’t quite blend in properly. Tip wet into dry ingredients and mix well.

Press the mixture into the lamington tin and smooth with the back of a spoon. Bake 35-45 minutes until it is golden brown and mixture has shrunken away from the sides. (I did 45 minutes.)

Frances says to cool in the tin but after about 10-15 minutes I took mine out using the overhang of the baking paper and cooled it on a rack. Cut into squares or bars with a sharp knife. Lasts at least a week.
On the stereo:
December: Moody Blues

9 comments:

  1. Love the Aussie touch of weetbix in the slice! And looks like a very doable recipe too :)

    But enough with the smiles - I'm so sorry to hear about your parents being burgled. Such a rotten feeling :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Human beings can be very cruel. I too have been disgusted and angry at the way Julian Assange has been 'hunted' down and victimized. I am so sorry to read that your parents’ home was burgled. I hope nothing of sentimental value was taken.

    Your right though, Thank goodness for muesli. I think I need to make me some too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you had an awful week. (Mine wasn't great either, b/c of other ugly U.S. news.) I'm sure, too, that Assange's arrest is a witch hunt - and a home burglary is such a violation of sacred space.

    Lennon's death was so long ago, almost no one cares about the horror of it. I'm glad you have Sylvia talking up "mia" to add sweet balance to otherwise difficult tidings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes what a week! And I hope your parents are ok. We had our family home burgled a few years ago and there's a real feeling of violation :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a weird ol' week indeed :(
    Love this muesli slice though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Hannah - this recipe actually appealed as a way to use up weetbix in my pantry that never get used at breakfast.

    Thanks Mangocheeks - my mum's laptop was taken so there were photos on there that I think she has lost but they seemed to be looking for cash and computers rather than other valuables.

    Thanks Susan - sorry your week wasn't great for news either. I watched a program about lennon's death and it just made me so sad - it seems so senseless - I had hoped to write of what I remember of it but I think I will leave that for another year

    Thanks Lorraine - it is not a nice feeling to have burglers in your house but my parents are coping quite well - I think they realise it could have been much worse

    Thanks Lisa - this week seems better at least (although still worrying for Julian Assange)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an odd selection of music for carols. However, the muesli slice looks delicious - a savior indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you really have had a string of tough stuff. . . sorry to hear about the break-in. Glad muesli bars help to mitigate the stress. ;) And I love the little impish way she asks for "mia" when she knows she should be eating her veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to try these muesli squares, they sound really good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)