Wednesday 11 April 2018

Red Lentil and Walnut Pate

When I finally get around to making a recipe for Red Lentil and Pecan Pate, instead of heading out to buy pecans, I found an abundance of walnuts to substitute for them.  In fact I was surprised that there were lots of pockets I had squirrelled away walnuts for lean times.  The end of a bag in the freezer, a bag I'd bought on special in the pantry, another tub of walnuts and some in the shell.  And this pate proved that you can never have enough walnuts!

I could have done a bit better with the dip.  I forgot to toast the walnuts.  And I always fail when directed to cook and drain lentils.  So I think next time I cook them in 2 cups rather than 3 of water so the pate is not quite so soft. 

As well as using up walnuts, I was pleased to use some herbs from the garden and it did give great flavour.  Yet after eating the pate with vegies and crackers for dinner, I gave it a bit more seasoning, and, if I remember rightly, a little smoked paprika.  But I didn't have that much parsley in the garden so perhaps more parsley would help the flavour too.

Despite all my problems, I still really loved this pate.  I never ate much in the way of pate before going vegetarian so I could not tell you how it compares to a meat one, but it really worked well as a tasty dip.  Now I think I had better go and by some more walnuts because I love them in so many ways.

More vegetarian pates on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Eggplant pate (gf, v)
Finnish green bean paté (gf)
Vegan pate with sweet potato (gf, v)
Vegan salmon pate (gf, v)
Voracious vegan pate (v)

Red lentil and walnut pate
Adapted from the Vegetarian Times

1 cup red lentils, sorted and rinsed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups toasted walnuts, plus more for garnish
2 tbsp white miso paste
1 tbsp rice vinegar
small handful each fresh basil, thyme and parsley, chopped
seasoning

Simmer the lentils in 2-3 cups of water for about 15 minutes and then drain off water.  Meanwhile toast walnuts in one frypan and fry the onion and garlic over low heat in olive oil in another frypan for about 10 minutes. Blend walnuts in food processor to make a paste.  Add lentils, onion mixture and remaining ingredients.  Blend until smooth.  Check and adjust seasoning.

On the Stereo:
I am Sam: Soundtrack from the motion picture

3 comments:

  1. This dip sounds delicious - I must give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had pate of any form but would enjoy this as a dip. And walnuts make more sense to me than pecans, because I think of pecans as a luxury nut and wouldn't want to 'waste' them in a dip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a baking cupboard where I keep things like seeds and dried fruit, and it's always yielding up forgotten bags of nuts of some sort- maybe all veggies and vegans are part squirrel? That's such a beautifully colourful plate, I'm glad to hear walnuts made it happen!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)