Sunday 25 March 2018

Chocolate Muesli Slice and a Quandong Hazelnut Strawberry Muesli

When your kid's at school camp, the oven is not working and your cupboards harbour lingering ingredients, it seems like a perfect time to make an no-bake slice like this Chocolate Muesli Slice.  Until there is some expert on the radio talking about the poor dental health.  Sigh!  Well at least when they were talking about only 50% of adults in Australia brushing their teeth twice a day I was on the right side of those statistics.

The slice used up some chocolate melts, condensed milk and muesli.  The first two were only a month or so old but the muesli had been there for many months.  I am not sure why.  It was a lovely muesli with hazelnuts, dried strawberries and quandong dessert sauce for added flavour.  I ate it for breakfast for a while.  And then I didn't.  Mixing it into the chocolate and condensed milk mixture was a brilliant way to rescue it. 

I really loved this slice and so did E.  It was great comfort food in a busy week.  Sylvia was not keen but that is why I made it when she was at camp and I had plenty of time to enjoy myself.  This was like my perfect muesli slice - full of chocolate and really quick and easy to make.  No doubt the fact I had made the muesli full of my faovurite things helped.

I wish I had better photos but have not had the time nor energy.  So you will just have to look at my photos that are quite like lots of slices I have made and believe me when I say this slice is far more chocolatey and gooey than most of my slices and I would like to eat it three meals a day.


I am sending this slice to Choclette for We Should Cocoa.

More no bake chocolate slices on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Balieys biscuit fudge
Chocolate almond rice bubble slice (gf, v)
Chocolate lime energy slice (v)
Glo bars (gf, v)
Hedgehog - with condensed milk
Mars bar slice
Nutella rice bubble slice

Chocolate muesli slice
Inspired by Just a Mum

395g can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup or 150g dark chocolate melts
100g butter
3 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp cocoa
3 3/4 cups of toasted muesli
1/2 cup desiccated coconut

Chocolate Topping:
1 1/2 cups or 225g dark chocolate melts
1 tbsp vegetable oil

Melt chocolate and butter with the condensed milk.  This is easier in the microwave but can also be done on the stovetop.  Mix in tahini and cocoa, then add muesli and coconut.  Stir well until combined and scrape into a lined 23cm square cake tin.  Smooth down.  (This seemed impossible at first but it did spread out to fit the tin eventually.)  Refridgerate for 30 minutes.  Melt chocolate topping ingredients together and spread on the top of the slice.  Return to the fridge until set (I think 4-6 hours did it but overnight is best.)

NOTES
You could use other dark chocolate but I used melts as I wanted to use up some open packets.  The vegetable oil in the chocolate topping is supposedly to stop it cracking but mine still cracked when I cut it.  I used the below muesli for the recipe but your favourite toasted muesli or granola would do.  The amount I added was what I had but you could use more or less depending on your available muesli.

Quandong Hazelnuts and Strawberry Muesli

4 cups oats
1 cup seeds
1 cup hazelnuts
1 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup quandong dessert sauce
1/4 cup maple
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil
1/2 to 1 cup dried strawberries

Mix everything (except strawberries) together and bake in a lined roasting tin for 20 minutes at 180 C, mixing halfway through.  Mix in strawberries once toasted.  Cool and store in an airtight container.

NOTES: The quandong dessert sauce could be replaced with a jam of choice.  If you wanted a more Aussie muesli (quandong being a native fruit) you could use macadamia nuts instead of hazelnuts and dried mango instead of strawberries.

On the Stereo:
Bellavista Terrace: Best of the Go Betweens

9 comments:

  1. These look nice and no-bake is of course very convenient. I always have that thing with müsli: I want to buy some, then eat it for a little while, and then it just sits in the cupboard, even though it's perfectly lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a little envious of your uninterrupted kitchen time! I hope Sylvia enjoys the camp and you can relax some more while she's away. Both of these dishes sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum - this looks amazing. The chocolate on top makes it luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a good choice for snack. Should try is soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww hope Sylvia enjoys camp and you enjoy time to yourself and therapy in the kitchen. Regarding dentist, yes I too am on the right side of brushing twice a day, but flossing is just as important - how many of us do that I wonder? I like the look of these choc. slices, but have to confess I'd make them for family and friends, but i still know me - i would sneak a slice in my gob too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a pretty handy recipe and one that could be quite versatile too. I wish Sylvia good luck with camp-not that I ever went haha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you're sending this to me Johanna. I just wish I could actually try it. It sounds wonderful with such a myriad of flavours and tahini too. I just headed over to your quandong dessert sauce post to see what that was and noticed you'd got some ground wattle seeds. Oh what joyful memories that brought back to me of our days in the Biga Valley when we just couldn't stop making wattle seed shortbread and it was the best shortbread ever - or that's how I remember it anyway ;)

    Thanks for sharing this with #WeShouldCocoa.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)