Friday 14 March 2014

Fish Rock Fish and Chippery, Northcote

After this week's swimming lesson, Sylvia and I went to Northcote High Street to buy some binoculars.  I was all excited about having lunch at the Loving Hut until I found they were closed during the day on weekdays.  As we walked past the Fish Rock Fish and Chippery I saw the sign about vegetarian burgers.  So in we went.  It was a good decision.

I have written previously about my fondness for 'fish and chips' (where in my childhood I usually ate dim sim rather than fish and now that I am a vegetarian I never have fish but I still refer to it as 'fish and chips' as I always have)!  Fish and chips mostly means takeaway.  We decided to eat in at the Fish Rock.  It was a pleasant light filled space to eat.

I include this photo of the chip fryers because it is typical of a proper fish and chip shop to have these on public view.  There is nothing so lovely as watching a wire basket of sizzling golden chips being lifted from the hot oil (in this case fresh cottonseed oil).  I like my chips fresh and piping hot!

Fish and chips for me is synonymous with eating out of a paper package.  I was surprised when it came on a plate.  I was even more surprised at the generous small serving of chips.  (Yes not the healthiest of meals for a young child, but at least she had some roasted chickpeas to snack on before we got there!)

The menu had corn jacks, which I love.  But I was more interested in the vegetarian burger.  It came with grilled capsicum and eggplant.  I was after more traditional fillings.  The woman behind the counter was more than happy to make changes.

There was a choice of two vegie burgers.  I chose the carrot, kale and chickpea burger.  It was served on a sesame seed bun with fried onions, lettuce, tomato, cheese, beetroot, garlic sauce and tomato sauce.  It was messy and pretty good.  However I could only eat half the burger.  It was huge.  I had to have a few chippies after all.  Sylvia didn't get through many of these or the potato cake (which was totally unnecessary).

When I had ordered, I noticed that they had deep fried mars bars on the menu.  I had been determined to have one for dessert.  Sadly our eyes were bigger than our stomach.  We washed our burger and chips down with an old school Passiona fizzy drink.  Then we tipped the rest of the chips into a bag and took them home for E.

I am quite fussy about fish and chip places.  I would highly recommend this one for the vegetarian options, the deep fried mars bar and because they also claim to cater for vegans and gluten free diets as well.  This is not fish and chips as I knew it as a child.  Fish Rock offers old school charm with a modern  sensibility.

Fish Rock Fish and Chippery
341 High Street, Northcote
Tel: 03 9482 9079
Hours: Tues-Wed 11.30am - 9pm, Thurs-Sat 11.30 - late, Sun 1pm to 9pm.

Fish Rock Fish n Chippery on Urbanspoon

16 comments:

  1. The food looks really good, although I am scared by deep fried Mars bars. Will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - deep fried mars bars are scary - I think I have only had them twice - and I am still not sure I like them but the concept is just so odd I had to try it

      Delete
  2. I love a good vegie burger. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Francesca - the vegie burger was really good but I think next time I will choose just one sauce because so messy

      Delete
  3. Do I spy a potato scallop? I have been craving those madly. They don't exist in North America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah - I don't have them often but I do love potato cakes (as we call them) - life without them seems sad

      Delete
  4. Lorraine Not Quite Nigella15 March 2014 at 23:00

    For something so simple, fish and chips can go quite wrong at times. Sounds like this was a good choice! :) I've never had a deep fried Mars Bar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lorraine - fish and chips can be terrible - I always appreciate it when they are done well (though I thought the potato cake slightly mushy but the chips were excellent and the burger was lovely)

      Delete
  5. I so love a good veggie burger! The fact that this place had veg burger OPTIONS sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - I was amazed when asked WHICH burger I wanted

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about Loving Hut, I’m curious to see their offerings though! That seating area reminds me of that vegan place in Vegas - Pura Vida. My gosh, these fries look proper to eat esp these big burgers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rika - Linda from the Lentil Institution and Veganopoulous have been to Loving Hut and also Cindy and Michael from WHere's the Beef if you want to check it out. The fries were amazing - I love my chips to be quick chunky

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you posted this! I live right near there and I've never actually been there. I wonder what they have that's vegan? I'll have to check it out. Anyway, like you, we often have what we call "Fish and chips", but of course, it never includes fish. My kids used to think hot chips were called "fishin chips" and crisps were called "packetofchips".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - would be interested to hear if you do check it out - I think the chips are vegan and that they will do a vegan version of the burger. I love that your kids call chips fishin chips - hard to leave the words behind even when you no longer eat the stuff :-)

      Delete
  8. The interior of this place is lovely - far brighter and fresher than most fish and chip shops. They are generous servings too, and as you say, how lovely to have veggie burgers on offer - not to mention 2 varieties! Your choice sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - it seemed a really nice place to stop and eat - the actual burger that was in the bun wasn't amazing in texture but it was nice and I just love knowing it isn't just mashed potato and carrot in it but that it is full of good nutrients.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)