Saturday 7 December 2013

Cranachan-style breakfast parfait, park, stars and carols

Weekdays are rush, rush, rush and a quick porridge for breakfast.  Weekends give us time to enjoy breakfasts at a more relaxed pace.  Today I took my inspiration from the creamy crunchy berry Scottish dessert, Cranachan.  It was just the thing to start a busy, fun, festive day.

First of all we went to the park.  I love the old peppercorn tree in the middle.  It's broad branches are just right for small children to climb.

We were also able to watch the mural being painted near the park.  I can't wait until it is finished.

Then we went home to do some painting.  Stars and other Christmas shapes.  These above stars are not the ones we painted at home.  I had too much paint on my hands to take any photos.  We decorated these stars at a carols service we went to tonight.

We had quite a simple picnic at the carols. Hummus, rice crackers, vegies, bread, leftover sausages and cheese.  Followed by fruit, cranberry and chocolate ANZACs and wattleseed truffles.  I had planned to do more cooking but time wasn't on my side. No matter.  What we had was more than adequate.

Santa Claus came to the carols on the back of a ute.  Sylvia queued up to have her photo taken with him.  She was given a bag of lollies for her bravery.

Breakfast, like my day, was a rather simple affair.  In fact it was so straightforward it seemed more an idea than a recipe.  I was not sure I should write it up.  But it was both nutritious and delicious.  Creamy without being rich.  Slightly sweet and slightly crunchy.  A fine way to use the fresh raspberries and yoghurt I had on hand.  I am sure it would work well with other berries or fruit.  No doubt, there will be more of this in our summer mornings.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago:
Edinburgh cafe - lovecrumbs
Two years ago: CC Country grain and soy bread
Three years ago: Healthy biscuits, interesting buildings
Four years ago: Edinburgh Castle: Queen Anne Cafe
Five years ago: Memories, BBQs, and Bangers & Mash
Six years ago: Nadine’s wild rice salad

Cranachan-style breakfast parfait
serves 1

2 handfuls of rolled oats
100g fresh raspberries (frozen would probably work)
100g plain Greek yoghurt
1 tsp honey, or to taste

Dry fry the oats (ie fry on a heavy based frypan with no oil over medum to high heat) until golden brown and smelling cooked.  Cool.  Meanwhile mix the yoghurt and honey and check sweetness.  Layer half the yoghurt, the oats and the raspberries in a glass or small bowl.  Repeat layers.  Eat and enjoy.

On the Stereo:
Dr. Demento Presents: Greatest Christmas Novelty CD of All Time: Various Artisits

16 comments:

  1. Lovely post and recipe. I still like it all boozy though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac - I am just as happy without the booze - especially in the morning :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lovely day--and a more than adequate breakfast! I think part of what makes it enjoyable is the pretty presentation. I don't make parfaits often enough--must get back into it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ricki - it was a good breakfast to get us through the day (or the morning at least) - I liked how pretty it was but am just as happy to dump it all in a bowl as to layer it - have to be in the mood for pretty (and have warm weather to inspire parfaits)

      Delete
  3. This is just my sort of recipe / concept - simple, but very pretty when presented! I rarely make parfaits but you have reminded me how fun they can be. It sounds like a fun day too, and good on Sylvia for braving Santa (and being rewarded for it)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - parfaits are fun - and a good excuse to clean the dust out of a fun glass that is rather neglected (see I don't make parfaits much either). Sylvia is quite interested in santa so it was good she was able to go and see him. And nice that she shared the lollies with her cousins.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to give this breakfast a try! It sounds deliciously easy and I have never dry fried oats before! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - dry frying the oats is just quick and easy - highly recommend it - though they are not quite as crispy as if you had oil or butter but it takes them up a notch from raw

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a lovely day, and that brekky looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so funny, we have parfaits like this every morning! Ours are made with homemade muesli, Greek yoghurt and frozen berries. They're my homage to the amazing granola parfaits they serve at Le Pain Quotidien (sigh).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy - I am really out of the muesli habit - though now that summer is upon us I might have some muesli moments - if only the hot weather will hang around for more than a day or two :-) I tried the frozen berries with this the next day and didn't like it as much as the fresh ones

      Delete
  7. Totally LOVING your blog! First time visitor and commenter. Hope to visit often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Jennifer - look forward to more visits

      Delete
  8. Aww tree climing! :D I so much loved to do that as a child!

    The parfait also reminds me of my childhood, because a local bakery used to sell such parfaits as a sweet treat. They tasted very good, but I can't remember we ever made such a parfait at home. The cactus jar is lovely! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)