Thursday 19 February 2009

Salad Sandwich

Good bread, lots of vegies and time to make a salad sandwich! Luxury! Just what I needed on a warm summer’s day!

I’d been to Fatto a Mano (Gertrude Street, Fitzroy) and bought a loaf of their fine pumpkin and cumin bread. I’d had a yen to buy fresh beetroot at the supermarket – which always takes me back to my days making salad rolls as a volunteer at the university food co-op.

This salad sandwich is different to my standard one with cheese. I meant to include cheese but forgot and it really didn’t matter. This sandwich had plenty of taste and texture - peanut butter, shredded baby spinach, sliced tomato, grated carrot, grated beetroot, mung bean sprouts, freshly ground black pepper and avocado.

I want to recommend you try this fantastic combination, but the joy of salad sandwiches is fossicking in the crisper of the fridge and letting inspiration lead you. So instead I wish you the weather and whim to make salad sandwiches!

On the stereo:
The Only Solace: Ostara

11 comments:

  1. so simple yet perfect yum yum. Is it cooling down yet??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your sandwich philosophy - namely, trying a new combination of whatever looks good at the moment! I think pumpkin and cumin bread definitely fits that bill nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried or thought of peanut butter with a salad sandwhich, but it sounds good. Will give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - that is SOME sandwich. Sounds and looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Flower - it is cooler for a couple of days and then heating up again next week

    thanks Chris - new combinations are always good - and usually inspired by what is at hand!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kristy - I confess to being a big fan of peanut butter - but the Melb Uni food co-op used to do peanut butter in their salad rolls which I loved - not sure if they still do

    Thanks AForkful - I love a full salad sandwich - but it never looks pretty eating it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is the second recipe I've read for PB and veggies in a sandwich--I think I must be missing something!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this approach to making sandwiches too! Yours sounds *really* good, with a lovely range of crunches and flavours. I can see why you didn't miss the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Ricki - peanut butter is one of those things that comes and goes in popularity in our house and is the thing of the moment!

    Thanks Lysy - I do like cheese in salad sandwiches but it is good to have a change

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like a combination I will try, I love all the ingredients that you have listed. It is always good to experiment you never know when you will create a master piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey those Salad Sandwich look yummi....I love eating breakfast and always try new fast food recipes. I would love to try the Sandwich for breakfast. that looks tasty & Scrumptious. Sandwich is also a snacks food option and can make a satisfying breakfast. The Photos are amazing... I am already feeling hungry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)