Friday 17 November 2023

The Clyde Hotel, Carlton

The Clyde is an old-school pub between the University of Melbourne and Lygon Street in Carlton.  In my student days it was a popular watering hole.  My early memories of it are pretty hazy but I did spend a bit of time there as an undergrad.  It was part of my first pub crawl in O Week and there were a few boat races there (aka drinking games).  These days it is not the rowdy place I remember, but I am no longer the naive young fresher who stayed up late drinking with friends.

These days most of my experiences there are lunches with the occasional evening visit.  We order at the bar.  I once organised a group lunch where we put our orders in prior to arriving and when we got there, we found our meals already out so everyone had to grab and drink and find their meal. Speaking of drinks, even though this is an old-school pub, it has kept up with the times and offers non-alcoholic beers.  I just wish their experiment with selling kombucha had lasted longer.

Mostly I have shared meals inside.  After the lockdowns we had some meals outside when it was considered safer.  The above two photos of the bar and the dining area are fairly quiet because I took them when I went for an early evening meal.  It can be much busier.

Before our lockdowns I went through a phase of ordering the vegie quesadillas for a while.  The Clyde was the first pub I went to after lockdown.  I tried a few specials that seem to have come and gone on the regular menu.  This wedge of roasted pumpkin, roast cauliflower, crispy kale, yoghurt sauce and dukkah was delicious. 

This dish was half a cauliflower on a slick of pumpkin hummus, topped with yoghurt sauce, pomegranate arils and kale.  I ordered chips on the side and on this occasion I was able to order kombucha too. A really satisfying and attractive meal.

One dish I keep going back to again and again is the Eggplant Parma.  It is two generous slices of eggplant crumbed and topped with napoli sauce and grilled, stretchy, melty cheese.  I have had it many times.  Every time the eggplant is cooked to perfection: soft and melting.  I say this in admiration after being served disappointingly badly cooked eggplant at other restaurants recently.  There is either good or bad eggplant - no in between.  The parma comes with either mash and roast vegies or chips and salad.  I prefer the latter for amazingly great comfort food.

I am very fond of the Clyde with its good pub grub and friendly staff.  I am happy that the eggplant parma is still on the menu but I really want to try their cauliflower tempura that has appeared on the menu since I last visited.  The pub also serves vegan options, gluten free options, meat and alcohol for those with other preferences.

The Clyde Hotel
385 Cardigan Street (corner of Elgin Street), Carlton
(03) 9347 1874
Open daily 12pm til late, except it opens at 11am on Fridays and closes 11pm on Sundays.
www.theclydehotel.com.au

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow, all the meals look great. Gotta love a pub that served good food. Love the big veggie pieces with tons of tasty toppings. I agree with you that eggplant is good or bad, never in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might remember just how close I used to live to the Clyde! I went there for a couple of UniMelb group meals but pretty rarely on the whole. I recall that it was a popular spot for special birthdays during uni years as I often noticed '18' or '21' balloons and decorations in the beer garden. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)