Tuesday 8 October 2019

Mini quiches - eggy or vegan

The school holidays ended yesterday with the rude awakening to daylight savings.  I resent that stolen hour of the clock going forward for spring but I do love the light evenings of summer.  We had some fun outings to the zoo, the cinema (Dora the Explorer movie was much better than I expected) and the Cat Cafe.  Photos to come.  I got some cleaning and gardening done but not much in the way of baking.  I had promised Sylvia we would do quiches.

I had been inspired by this mini quiche recipe to try my favourite tofu besan omelette mixture in quiches.  Sylvia is so into eggs that I suggested she try an egg version.  She was so keen that she had a quick chat to me about how to make them and went off to make hers before I had a chance to start.  That kid is very confident in the kitchen!

Her quiches looked great but I left them to her and had my vegan ones. 
They were good but a bit stodgy so I have suggested some milk in them.  I did like crustless ones as an alternative way of serving my omelettes (as well as a gluten free alternative).

We ate the quiches for lunch and felt thoroughly summery.  It was so warm that Sylvia made a rainbow shower with the hose and was ready for a trip to the pool.  I had the tomatoes and johnny jump-ups to repot before we headed out.  Then we got caught up so we had our swim after dinner.  It felt like the sort of thing to do on holidays while there was no school or work the next day.  But now the holidays are over and I still am hoping to find a bit of time for cooking once we find our daylight savings routine!

More quiches on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Crustless asparagus and potato quiche
Leek tofu quiche (v)
Mini tofu crustless quiches (gf, v)
Pumpkin cornmeal quiche
Vegan quiche with tofu and besan (v)
Zucchini and tomato quiche with wild garlic 

Vegan mini quiches
Adapted from Green Gourmet Giraffe's vegan quiche and vegan omelette
Makes about 8

Filling:
300g silken tofu, drained
6 tbsp besan (chickpea flour),
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
1 tablespoon olive oil
 2 tablespoon mirin
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion granules
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon black salt
handful of parsley
splash of vegan milk (optional)

To assemble:
8 cherry tomatoes
2 squares (approx 25cm x 25cm) of puff pastry (optional)
basil

Roast tomatoes at 220 C for 10 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.

Blend filling ingredients until creamy (I didn't use milk but I think it might be good to add to thin the mixture slightly).  Cut each piece of pastry into 4 squares.  Pinch together the middle of each side to make a windmill sort of cup to place in a greased muffin pan.  Alternatively skip this step and make crustless quiches for an easy GF alternative.  Pour filling into each pastry cup or greased muffin cup.  Place a roasted cherry tomato on top and push a few torn basil leaves around it.  Bake at 220 C for 20 minutes.

Sylvia's Mini Quiches
Adapted from Peter Russell Clark’s Kraft Family Cookbook via Green Gourmet Giraffe
Makes 4

1 sheet puff pastry
grated cheese
fresh basil
about 4 cherry tomatoes
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk

Cut sheet of puff pastry into 4 squares. Grease 4 cups of a 12 muffins pan. Line each muffin hole with a square of puff pastry.

Sprinkle grated cheese in each lined muffin hole. Use scissors to chop a little basil in each and then arrange a couple of quarters of tomatoes in each. Mix egg and milk in a mug with a fork. Use a spoon to distribute this mixture between each muffin hole.

Bake mini quiches at 220 C for about 20 minutes or until they look golden brown and filling is cooked. Sit for a few minutes and then gently remove from muffin cups with the help of a knife. Eat warm or room temperature

On the Stereo:
Legacy: the Very Best of David Bowie

5 comments:

  1. I will definitely give up an hour in order to get more daylight! These look very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Sylvia I want to try her quiches first ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those quiches look great, and I'm glad to hear that Sylvia is skillful in the kitchen and keen to cook. I think that she has had a great teacher at home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute, and I like that they are easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both are lovely - gorgeous like flowers! Be great on a buffet table vegan or veggie.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)