Thursday 25 October 2018

Kale salad - two ways

On the weekend I bought a big bunch of kale and a purple cauliflower from our farmers market.  Sylvia was at a sleepover with two friends so I had time to let the cauliflower roast and think about how to eat the kale.  I made quite a simple salad. It was so good I made a more complex kale salad the next day.

Below is my first salad in a bowl of vegies.  It contained the kale and fruit salad, corn on the cob, roasted purple cauliflower, chopped red capsicum, leftover margherita pizza and mac'n'cheese balls.  It was delicious and used up a few bits of leftovers.  Win win.  Then we watched a sweet movie called What If (starring Daniel Radcliffe).

The next day I expected Sylvia to be quite tired after her sleepover.  However after a good giggle at Johnny English Strikes Again, we did some grocery shopping.  At home she asked me to get some scissors and I said only if she put away the groceries.  She did this happily, then put away the dishes drying on the sink, reorganised the fridge and started on the cupboards.  This is my child who usually baulks at the idea of picking up her clothes after her.  Whatever they gave to at the sleepover, I want some if it makes her so agreeable.  It was lovely to have energy to clean up the backyard and make salad for tea.

I had thought the Spend with Pennies blog is where I got the dressing on the previous night but found it was quite different.  The salad was far more substantial with lots of raw broccoli, nuts and seeds.  I loved this even more than the fruity kale salad.  We had it three nights running and the only reason I didn't eat it three days running for lunch was that I forgot to take it to work on the third day.  It was excellent with bangers and mash, with fried rice, and with potato scones.

More kale recipes from Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Kale, cheese and mole quesadillas (v)
Only-kale-can-save-us-now salad (gf, v)
Potato and kale enchiladas (gf, v)
Potato, cauliflower and kale pesto mash (gf, v) 
'Teriyaki' tofu with brown rice and kale (gf, v) 
Tomato and kale soup with pistachios (gf, v) 

Kale and broccoli salad
Adapted from Spend with Pennies
Serves 6-8 as side salad

5 cups chopped kale
1-2 tsp olive oil
pinch salt
2 cups chopped broccoli (1 head of broccoli)
1/2 cup chopped roasted almonds
1-2 carrots, grated
1-2 stalks of celery, diced
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup cranberries

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp seeded mustard
1 clove garlic minced
1-2 tsp honey or sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper

Wash, dry and chop kale.  (I measured mine after this and packed it in the cup measure quite a big.)  Massage the kale (with your hands) with olive oil and salt.  Add remaining ingredients.  Mix dressing ingredients either by shaking in a jar or whisking until oil and vinegar mixes to make a slightly creamy mixture.  Dip a kale leaf in to check seasoning.  However I found it really garlicky but the garlic toned down by the next day.  Mix dressing into salad.  Keeps in fridge for 5-7 days.

Kale, apple and strawberry salad
Serves 2 as side

Dressing:
3 tsp olive oil
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp seeded mustard
1/4 smoked honey
seasoning

Salad:
3 large leaves kale
1/2 apple diced
3 strawberries diced


Make the dressing by either shaking all ingredients in a jar or giving a good whisk until it all comes together.  Wash, dry and chop kale.  Massage the kale (with your hands) with the dressing.  Stir in fruit and serve.

On the stereo:
No no no: Beirut

5 comments:

  1. What a great salad and the bowl is so thrifty using some left-overs as well. I alsways love this kind of bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to know what spell they put on Sylvia too :)I picked up a purple and green cauliflower from Bath's market last week, so your bowl of salad with roasted cauli looks inviting. You have reminded me that I have some kale in the garden to harvest too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These salads look so bright and cheerful; - I would be happy if someone made one for me (I am not very good at salad making myself).

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you find what made Sylvia feel like doing housework, feel free to pass it on - I could do with some myself! I can't do kale without it having a good massage. When I realised it made the kale much less spiky, I was completely sold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm I'm a salad maniac and I'm just about to make one for lunch today. I think I'd like the first one. I've tried salads with strawberries and they just don't really do it for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)