Monday 20 March 2017

Roasted broccoli and apple salad


I have had some busy weeks.  This week will be my first for a few weeks not to be juggling a new job and an old job.  Time in the kitchen has been limited and I have felt the need for some better meals.  More vegies.  Less carbs.  I have been working my way through Kristy Turner's But I Could Never Go Vegan cookbook.  The recipes are great and I will write more about the book one day.  Today I wanted to share my version of a salad from the book.


Salad so often get a bad rap.  I wish there were more salads like this one in the world.  We had it on the weekend and it was such a delight.  So much crunch and colour.  So sharp and sweet and savoury.  All wrapped up in a creamy dressing.  The tang of the dressing worked well with the noochy cheesiness of the broccoli.  I also loved that this salad used up some bits and pieces that were in my kitchen.  Best of all, it was so satisfying that I didn't need anything with it or after it.  If only it was enough to give me all the energy I need right now!

I am sending this salad to Lisa and Jac's No Croutons Required, to Meat Free Mondays and to Kimmy and Mary-Ellen for Healthy Vegan Fridays.

More substantial salads at Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Caesar salad (v)  
Leon superfood salad (gf)
Mock tuna (chickpea) salad (gf, v)
Quinoa, cashew and honeyed carrot salad (gf)
Smoky potato, bean and corn salad (gf, v)
Taco salad with creamy dressing (gf)

Roasted Broccoli and Apple Salad
Adapted from But I Could Never Go Vegan by Kristy Turner, reproduced on The Full Helping
Serves 2

Roasted Broccoli:

1 large stalk of broccoli
1 tablespoons tamari
1 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
1/2 tablespoon maple syrup

Dressing:

3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
A couple dashes of garlic powder

Salad:

1 handful chopped cos lettuce (or baby spinach)
1 handful finely chopped purple cabbage
1/2 red apple, cored and thinly sliced
2 celery stalks, sliced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup roughly chopped roasted almonds
1-2 handfuls of sunflower sausage crumbles or tempeh bacon or tofu bacon

To roast broccoli: Cut broccoli into small florets and thinly slice the stems.  Toss with tamari, maple syrup and nutritional yeast flakes.  Roast until softened and starting to crisp around the edges.  I microwaved my florets for 1 minute and then roasted at 220 C for 30 minutes.  The original recipe suggested 20 minutes at 200 C.  Set aside to cool.

Make dressing by placing all ingredients in a small bowl and whisking or mixing with a fork until smooth and creamy.

Make the salad by layering in the lettuce, cabbage, apple, celery, broccoli, cramberries and almonds.  Drizzle with about half the dressing and toss.  Serve topped with sausage crumbles and extra dressing on the side.

On the Stereo:
The Bestiality of Bonzo Dog Band

10 comments:

  1. What a fantastic salad. I like the sound of every component and suspect it would be the sort of salad that I'd want to snack on - which is always a very impressive outcome!

    Good luck with the work transitions too - I was really delighted to hear about your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally hear you Johanna. Every time I get busy there's no time to cook good food. This salad looks like a wonderful meal to take to work when I need nourishment. Sometimes just seeing the beautiful colors of salads makes me feel better. :)
    I also hear that Kristy's book is really good. I need to check it out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm it does look good. I have been eating a lot of apples recently and would like to incorporate them into a salad, but its too nippy for salads at the moment in the UK, so will wait. I love the look of the sausage crumble on top. I have her two cookbooks on my wishlist and you have convinced me that I will have to get them much soon.

    I am also so pleased to hear you have a new job, but juggling two jobs can be hard, so I am thinking of you and wish you luck, same as Kari with the transition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This salad sounds lovely - what a great flavour combo. The uniquitous garden salad has hardened public opinion on salads, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I can imagine just how delicious this must be! I love different salads - as you say they often get a bad rap with people often thinking of a basic green salad.
    Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love salads too and this one sounds so delicious! As you say, it's such a shame some people think they're boring as they can be so varied and full of flavour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How do I love roasted broccoli, let me count the ways. I don't know why, but I love broccoli when it's got a little burnt, so I think I'd have to deliberately let it go a bit over when I'm cooking this! I love the colourful little flecks of purple cabbage in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sound of this salad. During every time but winter we eat a lot of salads here. I love roasted vegetables in salad. It sweetens them up perfectly! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooh this looks fabulous. With the warm weather coming, I'm definitely looking to more veggies and salads as well. I like all of the contrasting elements in this salad. And the crumbled protein would add that oomph factor for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds and looks fantastic. I certainly want to try the recipe. Thanks for sharing with NCR.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)