Sunday 5 March 2017

In My Kitchen - March 2017

March brings us into autumn with all its mellow fruits and harvest bounty.  Our kitchen hasn't seen lots of new recipe lately.  We have had too much else on with settling into Term 1 of school, celebrating birthdays, and a change of job.  However we are still eating well and enjoying a few favourites.

The above meal is typical of my kitchen lately.  Vegetarian sausages, lots of vegies and some salad cream.  Easy and quick.  I really love the bowl food concept (also sometimes call buddah bowls or nourish bowls).  Whether I am putting together some easy protein or some leftover stew, I find it easier to chop lots of colourful vegies rather than fiddle about with a side dish or salad.

We had a trip to the pool recently and I promised Sylvia an ice cream afterwards.  She chose this box of Jammy Custard Donut Drumsticks.

This is how it looked.  I want to know what happened to that glistening blob of jam on top.  Sylvia didn't even like it.  She was not keen on the chunks of doughnut dough in it.  I liked it but had really wanted her to choose the Golden Gaytime one with butterscotch swirls.

This meal was based on a Sesame Kale Glow Bowl.  I didn't have tempeh so I used firm tofu instead.  It was a nice meal with lots of greens, tofu and Asian dressing on quinoa, but I would be interested to try it with tempeh.

I bought a punnet of colourful tomatoes to gently fry and bake on a puff pastry tart.  The tart was ok but I am not sure it did justice to these pretty tomatoes.

Last week we had chilli non carne for dinner four days in a row.  This is the sort of leftovers that I love.  On the first night we ate it fairly plain.  The next two nights we ate it with tacos and trimmings.  The last night I made pumpkin soup and stirred in the chilli non carne.  The soup was nice but lacked some oomph.  Perhaps if I had remembered to add some salsa it would have been better.

Buying these pizza Twisties was a mistake.  I don't eat Twisties very often (they are like a bumpy twig of a corn chip for those who aren't familiar with this Aussie favourite) but they are a great nostalgic treat.  So I decided I HAD to try the new pizza flavour.  Until I tasted it and decided it wasn't quite so necessary.  I prefer the cheese flavour.  After all, why put cumin in pizza flavouring.  Needless to say, when I then saw taco flavoured twisties soon after, I was quite able to resist.

I stopped by IGA in Nicholson Street, Coburg recently.  It is great to get away from the lack of choice at the two monopoly supermarkets that are closer to me.  I found this Desert Pepper roasted tomato chipotle corn salsa, and some vegenaise and a jar of stuffed olives.

I also found this vegan beans and rice  burrito at the IGA.  It was lovely after being baked in the oven.  The only problem was that I could not get the lid off the salsa I had bought on the same day.  (It took some time another day to get the lid off.)  However I really enjoyed the burrito.  It could easily become a habit.  I thought that Richie's must be an American company.  Then today I saw they had a stall at the Sydney Road Street Festival.  Seems that they are a Melbourne company founded by a Californian.

Between the patchy weather and my lack of time, I am pleased to still find time to make overnight sourdough bread, albeit less than I have in the past.  While I have had a few slow rising doughs, the one in the photo went a little overboard with rapid rising.

Lastly. we have got along to our local farmers market for kale, apples, blackberries, pretzels, croissants and Cocoa Rhapsody's new Coconut and Cherry Chocolate.  Patty from Cocoa Rhapsody was telling us that they use some of the seasonal produce from the farmers markets in their chocolates.  The blackberries went into these recipes, the kale went into this salad and the apples made me excited about them coming into season.

I am sending this post to Lizzy of Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things for the In My Kitchen event, that was started by Celia of Fig Jam and Lime Cordial,  If you would like to join in, send your post to Lizzy by 10 March.  Or just head over to her blog to peek into more kitchens.

16 comments:

  1. I used to hate those hard-to-open jars, until someone gave me a great tip - if you slide a butter knife between the lid and the top of the jar and wiggle it until there is a pop, this breaks the vacuum seal and the jar will be easy to open. Sometimes I have to try it in a few spots around the lid, but eventually it always works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sourdough really took off! Love all the bright fresh veg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those punnets of mixed coloured tomatoes - I mostly use them in salad to show them off, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw a sandwich board advertising these jam donuts ones and now I'm glad that I didn't buy one because I would have been annoyed at the last jam bit! I've tried all of the Twisties variations and have found none as good as the original cheese or chicken :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dish at the top. Wow, wow, wow! Thank you for the very kind shout out and happy March to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have Desert Pepper salsa at our markets too: it's made in Texas, I think. The availability of products seems so unpredictable! But I hear that TimTams are coming to the US!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. goodness where is the jam on that Drumstick alright! Looks like they mean the actual jam is 'limited edition'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We used to have trouble opening jars too till we bought a jar key years ago. Works every time. Kitchen shops have them and Harvey Norman. Pizza twisties?! Oh my sounds awful:(.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post really makes my mouth water, all those lovely foods! I find that bowls with veggies and veggie sausages are always a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great kitchen even if you don't think it's all that exciting ;)
    I'm also enjoying "bowl" foods as of late, quick, easy and gets everything in there.
    I used to LOOOOOVE drumstick ice cream when I was younger. I'm not a jam fan and it is strange that it looks so different than the picture. I used to like the chocolate ones. Yum.
    The sesame kale glow bowl looks quite tasty, I have bookmarked it and will try it out - I'm sure it's great with tofu, I am partial to tempeh though.
    "we have got along to our local farmers market for kale, apples, blackberries, pretzels, croissants and Cocoa Rhapsody's new Coconut and Cherry Chocolate."
    Wow. Our markets need to step up their game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The frustration of hard to open jars!

    I love the look of your bowl meals and market yield. I'm less drawn to the drumsticks and twisties but am sure as a child would have wanted both :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. And so you move into Autumn and we move into Spring. Those tomatoes look divine and perfect food of the season. Sounds like a busy time of year for you. I am assuming the change of job is for you? Hope all goes well.... xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Johanna, I love your "bowls." (I often eat similar things on small plates.) Hope you find the right amount of oopmh to bump up your pumpkin soup. Often the best flavors (and spontaneous recipes) result from your willingness and knack to "combine." Sounds good to me! You're on the right track!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)