Sunday 8 January 2017

Fruit salad for New Year's Eve

It is a hot summer.  Too hot.  When we have a few days in the 30s I just want to eat fruit and drink water.  Meals sort of fall off the radar.  New Year's Eve was hot.  And I had lots of fruit about.  So we had fruit salad for dessert. 

A few days before New Year's Eve, we went to a potluck picnic brunch.  I took along cashew cheese stuffed dates on a fruit platter.  I knew that Sylvia would eat some fruit if nothing else except Mr Nice Guy cinnamon buns and perhaps some tofu bacon.  And it seems a shame not to enjoy summer fruit at its peak.

I bought more fruit than I needed.  So it was fruit salad for dessert on New Year's Eve.  It has been too long since I last made one and many years since I blogged any.  I cut up some fruit in the afternoon and soaked it in orange juice and maple syrup.  So simple.  So delicious.  So refreshing.

We had dinner on New Year's Eve at home.  I made haggis nachos.  We drank Maiden's Press non-alcoholic sparkling grape juice with it.  Sylvia refuses to eat the haggis so she spread tomato paste on her corn chips and sprinkled them with cheese to make her special pizza nachos.

The nachos were so filling that I was glad to have fruit salad for dessert.  It was served with some vanilla ice cream and/or a Darrell Leigh chocolate covered coconut nougat in a pudding shape.   A fitting meal to see out the old year.  I loved the fruit salad.  E was less impressed and Sylvia wanted to just eat the apricots.

We went to my parents' for lunch on New Year's Day.  I took some leftover fruit salad because we had so much leftover.  We ate it with stollen, cheese and crackers, and some watermelon wedges.  Then we broke open the gingerbread house.  Which after a roast dinner was quite an impressive meal to see in the new year.

The festive period is receding into the past rapidly.  Our Christmas tree has been put out to be chopped up for green waste.  The decorations are in bags ready to be put into storage.  But before we forget the festivities altogether, I have a few random moments to share:
  • Being breathalysed right after school drop off a week before Christmas Day.
  • My brother coined the term "pav and run", which made me laugh.  It did not refer to his crazy midday run in sweltering temperatures on Christmas Day.  It meant grabbing a large slice of my mum's pavlova and running out the door to his partner's place.  
  • E was reeling from being accosted by my uncle about how we need coal power.  Ironically the next day I was in a conversation where everyone seemed to have solar power.
  • Attending a country funeral just after New Year's Day.  It was conducted in the cemetery on a warm day under a shady oak tree with a coffin strewn with flowers and friends singing acapella.  So sad but really beautiful too.

I am sending this fruit salad to Healthy Vegan Fridays and the No Waste Food Challenge.

More fruity desserts on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Choc-nut banana and fruit kebabs (gf, v)
Watermelon monster (gf, v)  
Pine-berry fruit salad (gf, v)
Rainbow fruit kebabs (gf, v)
Red fruit salad (gf, v)
Strawberry soup (gf, v)
Summer fruit salad (gf, v)

Fruit salad
Serves 6-8, maybe more

2 large peaches, chopped
3 kiwi fruit, diced
1 handful of grapes
4 apricots, chopped
125g punnet of blueberries
125g punnet of raspberries 
1 slice of watermelon, chopped (about a cup)
juice of 1 orange
1 tbsp maple syrup

Mix everything and serve.  Or make a day ahead and keep in the fridge.  I think it improves with sitting for an hour or so, which means it is good to make before dinner.  Make sure to stir through before serving so all the fruit has some orange juice and maple syrup over it.

On the Stereo:
Shine a Light: field recordings from the great American railroad: Billy Bragg and Joe Henry

14 comments:

  1. Fruit salad absolutely goes down a treat when the weather is hot and meals are unappealing. I love the look of the cashew cheese stuffed dates... I've never even thought to stuff them but I can see I've been missing out! Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband would love the fruit salad but I only really eat it when I'm on a plane and dehydrated. It's a big, colourful serve though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha, pav and run! I'd say that happens in many homes. The only thing I like about summer is the fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a very sad time of year to be going to a funeral. I have been hearing about the ongoing heatwave you've been having in Melbourne. Melbourne weather is so variable! Your fruit platter looks gorgeous. Sylvia is turning into a fine little chef xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab looking fruit salad! Perfect for the crazy hot weather. My Christmas tree is still up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a fruit salad last year after Christmas to use up all the fruit that had been left in favour of other things. It was quite a relief to have something so refreshing after all the excesses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like your fruit salad platter and the dates with your homemade cheeze. I only ever enjoy fruit in the summer, its def. to do with the weather, but we always have bananas and citrus fruit in the fruit bowl whatever the season. The grapes are starting to creep in esp with cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fruit salad in winter is such a great idea!! Just looking at your table I'm forgetting how cold it is outside :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so delicious! I bet it's refreshing for all hot weather you've been enduring. It always makes me smile thinking how different our 2 climates are. It was totally freezing this weekend and we had a snow storm.
    I'll have to file this away for the hot weather in July!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still eat a lot of fruit now, but I remember how much I craved it in Australian summer. Your fruit salad looks lovely and beautifully presented.

    I'm sorry to hear about the funeral and hope you are funeral free for the rest of 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cashew cheese stuff dates?! Why haven't I tried these before! Your new year's eve looks lovely, chilled out and full of good eating, just the way a good NYE should be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the random moments! Were they breathalysing all the parents dropping off the kids or were you just really lucky to be picked???
    Love Pav & Run...... Think I need to do more of that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's strange for me to think of New Year's Eve being warm... it's chilly here - not great fruit salad weather. But your fruit salad really is stunning. Very vibrant. And the cashew cheese stuffed dates?! I'm drooling over here.
    Your nachos sound good, Sylvia's special pizza nachos sound good too!
    Breathalized during the day? How strange.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do love a fruit salad, me, but it's been ages since I've made one. I like the idea of eating it with stollen, cheese and crackers too. How random to be breathalized after the school run! Are inebriated mothers a problem where you live, lol! Thanks for sharing your lovely recipe with the No Waste Food Challenge. It's always great to have you on board. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)