Thursday 4 August 2016

In My Kitchen - August 2016

By August, I get a little tired of winter.  But it is not the weather getting me down this week.  It is the flat tyre and the medical appointments and all the weeds in the garden.  Hang on, yes the buckets of rain earlier in the week are to blame for the weeds!

I have had a few bursts of tidying up recently.  I decided to tidy up all the papers and spills under our fridge magnets.  (Check out how messy - and out of focus - the fridge was a few years ago.)  Above you can see a close up of some of my feminist magnets that make me smile.  My favourite is probably still the one that says "if it's a man's world, let him clean it".  I also like the one that reads "a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" because it reminds me of being a child and trying to work out what this meant on my sister's badge.

Here is a view of the whole fridge magnet collection.  Well most of it, not including the freebie magnets we have picked up at businesses.  Those are around the other side of the fridge.

A favourite purchase recently is this Jamie Oliver baking dish.  I have had my eye on it for a while and once it came down in price I bought one.  I have used it a few times and it looks gorgeous and cleans up nicely.

I snapped a picture of my compost at the community run organisation where I drop off my fruit and veg scraps if I can get organised.  (Not always but I do it regularly.)  It struck me as pretty with all the different coloured scraps.

I was curious about Veganaise when I saw a jar at Smith & Deli because I have often seen it mentioned but never tasted it.  It is pretty good, and probably the best commercial vegan mayo I had tried.  Though I think I prefer my home made vegan mayonnaise.  I would make it more but I just don't use mayonnaise much.  It took me a while to break open this jar.

The sandwich beside the Veganaise is one that I loved recently: home made sourdough bread, veganaise, cranberry sauce, freshly grilled leftover besan fritatta (I added nutritional yeast, lemon juice and tahini), grated carrot, sliced cooked beetroot, rocket and avocado.  So so so good.

I also tried a kale aioli with the Veganaise.  It was a recipe in a magazine which blended kale, mayonnaise and garlic.  I served it with a Fry's falafel burger with some fried potatoes and rocket on the side.

We have had a few breaks lately.  Sylvia snapped her glasses in half.  That is what happens when you keep bending them!  Fortunately we have a second pair from when I thought she had lost her glasses and they were in her bag all along.

I have also had a run of bad luck with blenders.  My Froothie blender's blade fell out.  Luckily it was under warranty.  I have received a blade replacement kit but not found time to work out how to put it in my blender.  I know we live in a digital world but it would be nice to have instructions or a url for instructions in the box.

Sometime before this, the bowl attachment of my hand held blender ceased to work.  I have put my food processor away in a cupboard in hope I could get by without it.  However the bowl attachment to my hand held blender was too small.

So I finally bought a hand held blender (Braun Multiquick 7 Hand Blender 777) that has a larger bowl attachment.  I found it on special at a local department store last month.  I finally got around to using the bowl attachment and have used the stick blender a few times.  I just need to test some pastry in it and then I am hoping I can say goodbye to my food processor.

I am trying to incorporate more bowl meals into my diet.  This one was made some weeks ago but I think I had leftover fried purple cabble.  I roasted potatoes, pumpkin, and zucchini and boiled some sprouts.  It was served with overnight sourdough bread and a Japanese sesame dressing.  The dressing had looked really tasty but was quite mild so I added lemon juice, garlic and salt to give it the sort of bite I like in other tahini dressings I have made.

We had a family lunch for my brother's birthday a while back.  My mum made a roast dinner and we had a fine spread of desserts.  Mum made pavlova and Guinness chocolate cake, my sister in law made cute blue iced cupcakes and I made grubs.  I decided to make them because 1) I was time poor, 2) I had a packet of gluten free tea biscuits that needed using up, 3) we had a packet of Marie biscuits that Sylvia had "accidentally" opened, and 4) who doesn't love condensed milk, cocoa, biscuit crumbs and coconut!!!

Dropping off goods at an op shop (charity shop) always runs the risk of bringing more home.  I could not resist these gorgeous glasses which  were quite pricey for an op shop at $3 each but I love the colours and the etching.  Sylvia has decided that green is her favourite colour suddenly.  (Lots of fun finding clothes in a wardrobe of pink and blue.)  So she has taken possession of the green glass when she can.

Continuing with Sylvia's embrace of green, she had a yen to make a green pasta necklace.  I had thought I needed to cook the pasta in green dyed water and then dry it.  Fortunately I checked online first and found I just needed to put pasta and a little food dye in a ziplock bag and rub it all over.  So much easier!

More bowl food.  This was made on a day when I had little time or inspiration and put together what I could from the fridge.  It turned out rather well.  Fried onion, mushroom and tomato, leftover rice, carrot sticks, rocket, beetroot and a big dollop of hummus.

Finally, despite life being busy, I am delighted that The Age newspaper has reintroduced the Samurai Sudoku to The Good Weekend magazine on Saturdays.  I rarely get through a whole one but I have been enjoying doing them when I can.  On the above occasion it was a salad sandwich for lunch with some overnight sourdough bread.  It is a perfect way to relax and makes me say long live hard copy newspapers!

Maureen is taking a break from hosting the In My Kitchen event but you will find bloggers still posting peeks into their kitchen.  She is hoping she will be back next month.

19 comments:

  1. Hi Joanna,
    I always like to see your bowls. I still haven't figured out how to make them for our type of food, though I think I'm often close (except I make it for both of us in one big bowl-- does that count?)

    I've also posted what's in my kitchen here:
    http://maefood.blogspot.com/2016/07/july-in-my-kitchen.html

    Thanks for sharing yours!
    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae - I love the bowl food because it looks pretty that way but usually I just mix it all up to eat it anyway so I am sure your bowls would count too

      Delete
  2. I have a Braun Multiquick blender and it's great! I use it a lot too and it gets a real work out from me. Love the sound of those magnets too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I am finding the blender bowl attachment a bit slower than I hope (or need) but it has made pastry for me this week which makes me very happy

      Delete
  3. Lots of lovely things in your kitchen. I love the magnets, I used to have a fridge full when i lived in Glasgow, but threw a load out when i moved to Wales. I agree a compost bin can look very pretty with all the colours, i marvel sometimes too. Shame about the froothie, I don't use mine much except for making mushy things which makes it a bit limited but fabulous for nut butters. But I also have magimix which is also great for blending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - I threw out a few magnets when I cleaned up but a lot have such sentimental memories - I want to make nut butter at the moment so need to get my blender sorted - have got the instructions to put the blade back in so need to get going on this - I use it a bit for grinding and sauces as well as smoothies

      Delete
  4. Wow, it's been a busy month in your kitchen. Your fridge has lots of magnets, just like mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - would love to see your magnets!

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you have had a few home / breakage challenges! At least there has been delicious food to balance it out, and hopefully help with the end-of-winter weather too. Our current fridge is built into a wooden cupboard which means we can't display any magnets - it's the first time I've had a kitchen like that and when / if we eventually renovate it I will enjoy having a proper fridge again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - yes a few challenges - I think having a fridge in a wooden cupboard would be a challenge for me as I love magnets but there are always ways around these things! (can you have washing machine magnets?)

      Delete
  6. Thos magnets are fab, they really made me chuckle. I love the 'make yourself at home - clean my kitchen' vintage styled one :-) I too love those two etched glasses and I'm with Sylvia in preferring the green one too - though it is my favourite colour :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela - sylvia keeps laughing at the "make yourself at home..." magnet. isn't it great! And I rather like the green one too

      Delete
  7. I'm very admiring of both your excellent collection of fridge magnets and the veggie recycling - very cool! I'm also a fan of Veganise - I agree it's the best vegan mayo out there. I've never tried making it myself, but the kale aioli appeals. As does the besan omelette burger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey - I think if Veganaise was more available I would buy it when I felt like some mayo but it is more a summer thing for me - though I did love those sandwiches with the besan omelette

      Delete
  8. I do love a good nose round other people's kitchens! I think we have a similar amount of magnets clogging up the fridge door too...... The broken glasses on the other hand look very sad!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - hope you bought some magnets on your recent trip and yes the glasses do look sad - but it was amusing to see sylvia's face when her glasses that she loved to bend suddenly snapped - hope it was a good learning experience

      Delete
  9. What a collection of fridge magnets Johanna! I'm always looking for an egg or olive oil mayonnaise so I pinned you potato salad for later :) Your food bowls look super tasty - I'm getting hungry.
    https://missfoodfairy.com/2016/08/05/in-my-kitchen-august-2016/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Food Fairy - I love a good food bowl - maybe need to experiment more with mayo dressings in bowl food

      Delete
  10. I love the fridge magnets! My fridge is so sad, I only have one lonely little magnet on it.
    That is quite a beautiful Jamie Oliver baking dish - great colour!
    Oh that's so awesome that there is community composting - I wish our city did that. The city I lived in back in Canada used to pick up our scraps for us and compost them (when they picked up the garbage and recycling), it was so nice.
    Too bad about Sylvia's glasses :/ Good thing you had a back up pair. When I was her age, I was always losing mine. Drove my mum bonkers.
    Bowls are so great - they can incorporate everything into one meal. We have them at least a few times a week.
    Love the green macaroni necklace! I imagine her favourite colour will change again haha ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)