Wednesday 21 October 2015

Moroccan deli-cacy, East Brunswick cafe and deli

Moroccan deli-cacy may be the new kid on the block in East Brunswick but it has a rich heritage.  It is situated in the old Miramar Nut Shop that was one of the first Lebanese mixed businesses in Melbourne.  Now it is a cafe-cum-deli run by Hana Assafiri who has run much loved Moroccan Soup Bar.  I am happy to report that the standards are every bit as high as the expectations.

My mum told me how good Moroccan deli-cacy looked last week just before I read Michael's high praise for the cafe. Yesterday I had lunch there with my mum.  It was every bit as amazing as I had hoped.  We arrived at the cafe.  It still feels like a nut shop with bins of spices, tubs of nuts and shelves of tinned goods.  Around the edges are colourful red stools and outside is more seating.

At the back of the shop is a display cabinet of salads, grain dishes and even a mountain of a yoghurt that was on its way to becoming a cheese but stopped midway, according to Hana.  She is a welcoming and bustling presence behind the counter.  She asks if we have any allergies and dishes up a platter of wonderful colours, tastes and textures.

It is a glorious feeling to sit at a tiled table with Hana's creation before me.  The cafe is light and airy with the large windows open to let in fresh air.  Without a menu I am at a loss to tell you everything I ate.  I just know it was the sort of lunch I wish I had every day.

I was initially impressed by the spiced couscous with soft dried apricots and dried cranberries.  Other dishes include a barley and legume dish, creamy chickpeas, another grain dish, smoky baba ganoush, green salad, fried zucchini, the yoghurt, fried haloumi, pickles, wonderful falafel and hearty wholemeal bread.  I noticed some spiciness and my mum noticed lots of mint.  For those seeking a vegan lunch, Hana was creating a vegan platter when I spoke to her later.

We also order fresh mint tea which is worth ordering just for the gorgeous silver teapots.  It is also a refreshing drink.

The food is different each day.  Compare this to the meal that Michael had.  He also had some ricotta pancakes with a coffee.  I noticed some turkish delight, macarons, and (I think) almond crescents on display on the counter.  But I was too full to want anything sweet.  It was a meal that was satisfying without leaving me feeling uncomfortable.  I can't wait to go back.

Before we headed home, I had a wander around the corner to check out the street art in Ann Street.  It is changed since I was there last year, most notably with the controversial Karma Sutra Burger.  The Moroccan deli-cacy has added new colour to an interesting part of East Brunswick and I am sure will attract yet more people to this area.

Moroccan Deli-Cacy
313 Lygon Street
Brunswick East
03 9387 6805

Moroccan deli cacy Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

21 comments:

  1. Oh it looks so great! If I lived in Melbourne I would definitely go there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man Johanna you now have me craving Moroccan food! Everything looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nupur - I wish I could put on a Moroccan spread like that!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Faye - hopefully you will be in the area soon

      Delete
  4. Wow! I love Moroccan food but this looks even more delicious and special. I certainly wish I was nearby.

    Thanks so much for sharing
    Julie
    Food Wine Fit 40

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - Moroccan food is lovely and this is such a great way to eat it

      Delete
  5. I really appreciate places like this, not only a good place to get a bite to eat, but it transports you to another world. I love to feast my eyes on all those spices,nuts and tinned goodies. I' got bac from the South of France a couple of weeks back and have loads of pictures to share, mostly of graffiti art, so any street art appeals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shaheen - you would love this place - and I am jealous of your trip to France - think of South France to be rustic rather than urban but am sure it would be interesting street art - hope to see some pics

      Delete
  6. It sounds like a wonderful place and you were clearly very impressed by it all! :D What did she end up doing with the yogurt that was supposed to turn into cheese but stopped halfway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I think I ate some of the fascinating yoghurt mountain - I talked to Hana after I ate my dinner so was not 100% sure but there were a few creamy dips/sauces on my plate

      Delete
  7. The Moroccan tea set is cool but I am in love with the Keef and Mick street art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - I love the street art with Keef and Mick too - they look so happy - maybe they are enjoying the karma sutra burger :-)

      Delete
  8. I love the tiled tables. Your plate of food looks wonderful. It sounds like a really good cafe and I do love Moroccan cuisine xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I am a sucker for pretty moroccan tiles and noticed these too - so lovely in a photo

      Delete
  9. Wow - I want a silver tea pot!! I thought my glass one was super fancy, but the silver is just beautiful.
    The food looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy - yes love that tea pot - though I am sure your glass one is very fancy!

      Delete
  10. How fantastic Johanna - this looks like a real gem of a place. I love the name too. Melbourne character and food at its best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - the place is very Melbourne at its best - and a treat to walk in and have lunch so soon at such a good place

      Delete
  11. Some of those dishes sounds delicious.
    Awesome that they cater to vegans too :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)