Thursday 28 March 2013

Trippy Taco and Melbourne Street Art

Today I bring you street food and street art.  According to their website, Trippy Taco does Mexican style street food.  Cheap, easy and available to everyone.  Unless you want to eat in and the cafe is full.  That was my first experience but since then I have eaten in a few times and enjoyed the food. The photo above is of artwork on the wall of the cafe.  It is the sort of street art I love.  Below are some of the photos that I have been snapping lately when out and about.

The entire menu is vegetarian so I couldn't wait to try some of the dishes.  The first meal I had there last year was an Asada Tofu Buritto.  According to the website it is spicy tofu, mozzerella, goats cheese, salad, avocado, salsa, all wrapped in a tortilla.  It was ok but I wasn't keen on the tofu, which predominated, and everything else seemed to just moosh together.  Perhaps I don't understand burritos.  I suspect I would enjoy the black bean one more.  On this visit Sylvia had tortilla with cheese on it.  I was pleased that the staff were willing to accommodate her tastes.

On my next visit, I chose the Original Trippy Taco.  A corn tortilla with black beans, cheese, salad, salsa and avocado.  This was far better.  The flat tortilla was more like my idea of a tostado than a taco but I am not one to nitpick over names, or even claim any expertise when it comes to Mexican food.  It was delicious and satisfying if not terribly exciting.

I decided to have the snack size Trippy Taco so that I could have a nutella melt.  Simply a tortilla spread with nutella, folder over and grilled.  It looks boring until the warm nutella started oozing out the sides.  This was amazing.  The dessert menu is full of temptations.  The guy behind the counter raved about the dessert tamale served with ice cream, banana and maple syrup.  I went for the smallest and cheapest option.

On my most recent visit I hit Mexican nirvana.  I ordered the Sweet Corn Tamale.  It is a sweet corn tamale, like a dumpling, steamed in a corn husk and served with salsa, guacamole and salad.  This is what I want when I eat out: something that is totally different to anything I have had before.  And so delicious that it has me reliving the flavours every now and again and dreaming of returning.  Dense and slightly sweet but oh so corny (I mean flavour of course).  The sides with it complemented the flavour and the fairly plain salad made sure it wasn't stodgy.  Now I can't wait to try the dessert tamale.

So now that the food is over, I will take you through some of Melbourne's street art.  It is bright, cheerful, sometimes funny, sometimes poignant, democratic, ephemeral and fun.  This is art outside the galleries with no entrance fee.  Enjoy it today for it may be gone tomorrow.  The colour and charm brings a humanity to the urban streetscape.  The above art is from an alleyway off Gertrude Street close to Trippy Taco.

I have included this picture with the faded signage on the building as a reminder of a different street art in the past.  This is just up the road from Trippy Taco.  Check out the Finding the Radio Book blog which has lots of pictures of ghost signs (ie old fading signs on buildings)

Many of my street art photos are taken in the inner north of Melbourne.  According to Wikipedia, Melbourne is "home to one of the world's most active and diverse street art cultures and is home to pioneers in the stencil medium."  There is even an  entry on Melbourne street art.  It lists inner north suburbs as many of the places to see street art..  The above art is on Albert Street near the Brunswick train station. 

I had to include this picture with the cyclist in it.  It captures the essence of the freedom in this piece of street art.  The art is in East Brunswick off Lygon Street down the Brunswick Road end.  I love the way the art transforms a very dull building into a landscape of desire.

I photographed this wall just by the Wholefoods store in Lygon Street, East Brunswick (near Albion Street).  I was pleased to get a picture of it.  I have seen other street pictures of little girls that capture my interest but they have disappeared.  The images of children in the street appeal because they are a reminder of times gone by when the streets were a child's playground.  It reminds me of Playing Beattie Bow.

Here is some art in Northcote behind some bins and a dilapidated old sofa (behind the Northcote Social Club).  The dog amuses me with it cheeky chappy persona.

These possums are painted in an alcove in Abbotsford Convent.  A little bit off-street.  It feel less like street art because there is a plaque beside it naming the artist (Wurundjeri community artists Judy Nicholson and James Simons).  I have included it because street art often seems to be about decorating the exterior of buildings.

A reminder that not all street art is 2D.  I love these yarnbombing flowers on the tree in the churchyard opposite the Blyth Street and Sydney Road intersection in Brunswick.  Thanks to Pigs and Bishops for letting me know this tree is a tribute to Jill Meagher.

Another piece of artwork that is a little off-street.  It is inside the Queen Victoria Centre in the city.  I love how it brightens the dull grey wall.  Not a great photo but you get the idea.

I found this photo in my archives.  It is from Centre Place in the city.  I took the photo mid-2012.  I am not sure if the artwork is still there but I doubt it.  The graceful black and white painting of the dancers is a surprise in the grungy corner for the rubbish bins that usually boasts far more colourful artwork.

The final picture is from a wall by Anstey train station in Brunswick.  I love the wisdom in the old face.  Perhaps it is saying, there is so much more interesting street art out there if only you keep your eyes open.

Trippy Taco
234 Gertrude St Fitzroy VIC 3065
(03) 9415 7711
www.trippytaco.com.au

21 comments:

  1. just beautiful Johanna! I love Melbourne! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - I plan more mexican food than I ever make - love the stuff!

      Delete
  3. Wow all the food looks delicious, particuarly that Burrito. Street art can be good when its done well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie - the burrito was quite large even if not my favourite - probably didn't help trying to eat it with Sylvia about - you really need two hands for it

      Delete
  4. I love the burritos at Trippy Taco, actually I don't think I've tried anything else as we usually get take away and burritos seem like the easiest thing to eat on the go. The mixed burrito is my favourite as it includes tofu asada plus black beans, the best of both worlds IMO. I must try the tamale one day...

    Love your photos of the street art, your comment about Playing Beattie Bow has left me feeling nostalgic as it was one of my favourite childhood books and I haven't thought of it for such a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel - I love mexican food but burritos aren't my favourite way to eat it - though I can appreciate they are good for when you are on the go. I must try other burritos at Trippy Taco. And am pleased that Playing Beattie Bow struck a chord - I loved it too and wondered if anyone else would know it.

      Delete
  5. Some street art is amazing isn't it. You've got a lovely collection of some Melbourne style in this post Johanna....especially the yarn bombing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brydie - I just love to wonder the streets and see the intelligent street art about us - and we are lucky to have lots of great yarn bombing locally

      Delete
  6. This place sounds awesome!! Love all the inventive vegetarian options...and that you get to view some art while eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - I think I forgot to mention that Trippy Taco is all vegetarian - should add that in - the art is on the outside wall so you don't see it from inside but after a good meal there is nothing like a walk to view some street art

      Delete
  7. I love the sound of that oozing Nutella!! :D And the street art is so vibrant too :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I am a sucker for oozing nutella too

      Delete
  8. The yarn flowers outside the church were made as a tribute to Jill Meagher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pigs and Blankets - I didn't know they were a tribute to Jill Meagher but will add that to my post - makes the tree seems all the more lovely for the thoughtfulness

      Delete
  9. This post sums up so much of what I associate with Melbourne - I particularly like that picture with the cyclist. The street art is all lovely and your food at Trippy Taco has me intrigued, particularly the tamale, which would be new to me too. Please try the dessert one at some stage and share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - not easy to get a street art photo with a cyclist so I am glad you like it too. I must try that dessert tamale if I get the chance - sounds amazing (but filling too)

      Delete
  10. The tamale meal is my favourite too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy - I would love to find a recipe for that sort of tamale - I wondered if that masa harina flour made the difference

      Delete
  11. Loving the photos of the street art! Makes you really appreciate living in Melbourne :) Now I've just got to try trippy taco!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)