Sunday 14 November 2010

Tofu Scramble

Scramble seems to be a good word for my life at the moment – a mad rush to get things done by hook or by crook. I wont bore you with the things that have fallen by the wayside but I will share with you a tofu scramble that I made recently.

I had mentioned a while back that I made the best tofu scramble ever when I used a vegan cheeze sauce. So the next time I made a tofu scramble I checked for recipes in my blog and found I had only blogged one other scramble.

You see, I blog not just to share recipes with readers, but also to remember what I did last time. The other tofu scramble I have blogged used roasted vegetables, which I do not often have on hand. So I decided to record what I did with a recent scramble. I am not sure this one was quite as excellent as the cheezy scramble but it was still rather tasty.

I should make the disclaimer that I never liked scrambled eggs (or any other eggs) so when I talk about tofu scramble I don’t try to make it soft and silky like I think scrambled eggs might be. I prefer crumbled firm tofu and lots of vegies in my scrambles. Not for the purists! But after all I am more likely to eat it for dinner these days. I have found a few other scramble recipes in the blogosphere that I’d like to try:

Post Punk Kitchen: Scrambled Tofu
Vegan Dad: Super Vegie Tofu
Have Cake will Travel: Pumpkin Tofu Scramble
Pamela Cooks: Greek Tofu Scramble
Berry Bundle: Tofu Spinach Scramble with Avocado
A Vegan about Town: Tofu Scramble options

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time one year ago: PPN Sausages Pasta, Garden and Global Warming
This time two years ago: NCR Pumpkin and Tofu Laksa
This time three years ago: Easy Peasy Risotto Soup

Tofu scramble
Serves about 4
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2-3 cups of chopped cabbage
  • 1 medium carrot, grated
  • 1 medium zucchini, diced
  • 4 medium mushrooms, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • ½ tsp smoked paprika
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • 2 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
  • 2 tbsp tahini
  • 400g firm tofu, crumbled
  • bunch of asparagus, diced (or about a cup of frozen peas)
  • ¼ cup of chopped sundried tomato
  • handful of rocket or other greens
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (I meant to add it earlier but forgot so I added it at the end when I served it)
Heat oil in a large frypan or wok. Cook onion, cabbage and carrot over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add zucchini and mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes. Add garlic, smoked paprika, cumin, tamari and tahini and cook for 5 minutes. Add asparagus and sun dried tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in a handful of rocket. Serve warm on toast or rice with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast if desired.

On the Stereo:
Va Va Voom: Hummingbirds

15 comments:

  1. I am not a big fan of scrambled eggs, and remember making my first batch of scrambled tofu early this year and actually was pleasantly surprised at how tasty it was. The recipe came from Moosewood served with raspberry chipotle sauce and spinach rice. I actually like the idea of mixing it up with veg. So will have to give it a go again.

    I was going to come over on Friday, but then it went out of my mind. I saw this in the Metro newspaper and thought of you immediately. I know you have family and friends living in and around Edinburgh, so you may have already heard about these 5 foot giraffes, but if not here is the link I found on-line for you to amuse over.
    http://deadlinescotland.wordpress.com/2010/11/11/giraffes-march-down-edinburgh-street/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually very true - I blog a lot from OP's recipes, but it's good to know what was good, what wasn't, and what I can do better next time. This scramble looks very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great, full of flavors and textures. I love tofu scramble, but I make a really simple one just with spinach, garlic, and onions. I love all the veggies in this one. I have never used nutritional yeast flakes. I know they are healthy but they seem scary. What kind of flavor do they add?

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now I've added four more tofu scramble bookmarks to the literally dozen I already have... and yet I've yet to make one. It's so bizarre. I feel like tofu scramble is one of my favourite things, and yet I've never made it, and rarely eaten it.

    Such a food I am! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both sound delicious. I always seem to love scrambled tofu when I eat out and be dissapointed when I make it at home. Maybe it's time to give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mango cheeks - raspberry chipotle sauce sounds v posh - and v interesting - I love lots of vegies in my scramble but I think it makes it harder to get the nice crispy bits that I loved in my cheezy scramble - and thanks for the link - wish I could have seen the giraffes

    Thanks Choclette

    Thanks Cakelaw - nowadays sometimes when I don't blog a recipe I wish I had when I come to making it again

    Thanks Rivki - nutritional yeast flakes are a little yeasty, a little sour, a little salty, slightly cheesy not not really - they have B12 and other nutrition so are worth tasting if you can - though if you have no desire to do so you could always use grated cheese if you aren't vegan or just omit.

    Thanks Hannah - oh we all know about all those bookmarked recipes that never make it to the kitchen - I love tofu scrambles because they are so easy - I often make them when I don't know what to make

    Thanks K - unfortunately I rarely eat out at places that offer tofu scramble - but I also think I'd prefer my own to any that try and be like egg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously - this is going on my 'to make' list (I think I say that about all your yummy dishes - but I just cant help myself as they are always so creative and tasty looking!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My life feels kind of like a scramble also right now so I'm betting that I would love this dish. At the least, I would feel quite entitled while eating it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I msut admit that I love scrambled eggs and have made tofu scramble using silken tofu before and loved it! :)I'm interested in the form tofu one now though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Lisa - I feel the same way about a lot of your dishes - but I do recommend this one for an easy weeknight dinner

    Thanks Joanne - hope this dish gives you a bit of relief while you are scrambling around after the rest of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! Those photos are positively mouth-watering! I'm always trying to find a tofu scramble recipe I like and I've tried a lot of duds. The other day, though, I made this one from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/11/scrambled-tofu-with-porcini-mushrooms.html only without the mushrooms, with chard, green beans, grated carrot, and celery, and I added a splash of Bragg's at the end. It was excellent! It was universally enjoyed in breakfast burritos, by vegans and omnivores alike.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE tofu scramble, although my boyfriend considers me foul and unnatural for eating it. I have blogged it once and had it with peppers and served on a bed of spinach.

    YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  13. '' I blog not just to share recipes with readers, but also to remember what I did last time''. So true and me too!
    This reader is very glad you posted this. A quick inspection of the fridge has revealed that the pack of tofu I bought to scramble for the first time got buried in the fridge and is now 6 days out of date. Ooops, will try it tomorrow and if it tastes odd at least I can blame the date!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Lorraine - I love it with firm tofu - hope you give it a go

    Thanks Scrumptious - scrambled tofu in burritos is delicious - have only done it once but loved it - thanks for the reminder

    thanks Helen - you might consider your boyfriend fowl and unnatural for eating scrambled eggs (ha ha) - must be great with your home made tofu

    Thanks Nic - hope it went well - I have a few packets of tofu in my fridge that need using so I know the feeling

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)