Tuesday 10 August 2010

Sour Cream Banana Cake

I had lots of ideas for baking on the weekend but what got made was a cake that rescued some banana and sour cream. It was simple, delicious and loved by all. E enjoyed it if eaten during the day with a cuppa tea and Sylvia begged for far more than was good for her.

I took some pieces of cake when I visited my friend Junko this morning. It seemed like good honest food that is fine for kids to eat, though I suspect quite a bit of it ended on the floor in crumbs. There weren’t quite as many cake crumbs as rice cracker crumbs when Sylvia decided to throw handfuls on the floor and then stomp on them as she climbed on and off the kiddie chair. Junko has three kids and is very understanding of their quirks.

The cake was not quite as light as My Mum’s Banana Cake, possibly because I added some wholemeal flour. But it was moist and full of flavour. So next time Sylvia goes off bananas and I buy more sour cream than I know what to do with, I will know how to use them.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
This time last year: Walnut Brownies
This time three years ago: Fresh and Healthy Salad Sandwich

Sour Cream Banana Cake
from my notebook – source unrecorded

  • 125g butter, softened
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ sour cream ( I used light sour cream)
  • 3 bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
  • 2 cups self raising flour (I used half wholemeal)
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs to mixture and beat till creamy. Stir in sour cream and banana. Fold in flour. Bake in loaf tin in the oven at 180 for 40-60 minutes. (Recipe said 40 and I baked for 60 minutes.) The cake is done when it is golden brown and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out cleanly.

On the stereo:
Songs for the young at heart: Various Artists

8 comments:

  1. Aha! Do I detect in your "rescued bananas" comment the fact that you had ripening-too-much bananas on your counter that had to be used up? Once again, my own banana bread post is proven true! ;)

    And you've even managed to find an easier recipe to throw together than mine. Bravo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks a lovely moist texture. I've never had sour cream in banana cake before but sounds fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look lovely, Johanna! :)

    I made your blondie with nutella recently. Was a hit! Will be blogging about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm I love sour cream in cakes. I might try this with regular flour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet it tastes as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sour cream in baked goods! This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing beats banana breas as a way to use up overripe bananas! My aunt used to make a sour cream-based banana bread--the flavor can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake sounds fabulous! Love sour cream cakes of any kind - they have a silkiness and richness that other cakes don't.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)