Sunday 24 December 2023

Christmas in Melbourne: trees, street art, lights

It is Christmas Eve and I am so glad to have finished all the baking and dishes so I can finally sit down and catch the rest of the Carols by Candlelight on the telly (on a wet night).  I had planned to write a few more festive posts but as often happens, the time has flown by with lots to do.  So here are some Christmas photos I have taken around Melbourne.  The top photo is a festive cockatoo on the Coburg Library window.

I liked this 'Call Santa Here' sign on the back of the Telstra phone boxes.  Telephone boxes often look neglected and forgotten so it nice to see them looking more fun.  This one is in the Victoria St Mall in Coburg.


A fun festive window display in Brunettis in Carlton.  Lots of cute gingerbread houses.

I visited a friend who finished her chemistry PhD and she showed me how they do Christmas trees in the Chemistry School.  The colours of the liquids in the flasks are so vivid!

When we went to see the Bluey Myer Christmas Windows (that I have posted about), it was nice to check out other city Christmas decorations.  I always love the Royal Arcade decorations.  It was good to see them in fine form with a traditional Christmas tree and a macaron Christmas tree.

While in the Royal Arcade, we went to Spellbox where you can peek into a miniature room.  It was so lovely that it was decorated for Christmas.


We love Barkly Square (fondly referred to as Squarkly Bear) in Brunswick.  I liked the way they made their name into a Christmas tree.


This is our Christmas tree that we put up about a week ago.  It smells so good.  A couple of new ornaments this year are a jar of Vegemite and a bauble with Indigenous designs on it.

As well as visiting the Coburg Night Market, we went to the Christmas Market at the German Lutheran Trinity Church in East Melbourne.  There were a lot of people in a small space but it was very congenial with a few nice craft stalls. 

We queued to go into the little church hall where they were selling pretzels, gingerbread houses and crafts.  I was amused by the guy behind me in the queue who was asking why the place wasn't bigger.  The church and hall are beautiful bluestone buildings from the Nineteenth Century when the population of Melbourne was considerably smaller.

I had a Sommer Gluhwein.  It was cool and delicious with some peaches in it.  The choir had finished so we watched St Nicholas arrive and then went to purchase some dried flowers and fancy salt.

Last year I enjoyed looking at the Sydney Road Festive Art on Windows.  I was delighted to see it was back this Christmas.  This Jolly dinosaur with a pizza and a Christmas tree was one of my favourite artworks.

I had hoped to get together a post on the fun festive artworks photos but as I have run out of time, I have a collage of some of the fun pictures of festive cats, koalas and even Santa on a motor bike.

I loved this yarn bombing Christmas manger scene at the intersection of Blyth St and Sydney Rd.  I am not sure I have ever seen a manger scene with a pregnant Mary so it is quite unusual.  The wise men had great patterns for their robes and the shepherds had cute little sheep with them.  Such imaginative fun with these bollards.

We had a drive around Coburg to see Christmas lights one night.  This house on Shaftsbury Street is always amazing with so many lights and decorations.

The busiest house lights we saw was in Molesworth Street which had been featured in The Age newspaper article on the 10 best Christmas light displays on homes in Melbourne.  I loved the little boy who was offering candy canes.  These impressive lights often have a bucket for donations which is difficult in these cashless times but it was good to see details to donate to their cause back at home.

The last couple of days I have been busy with a gingerbread house project.  It was made easier by a cookie cutter set and the idea of creating stonework on the walls.  I will post more about it after Christmas.  Meanwhile I wish you a Merry Christmas tomorrow for those who celebrate!

3 comments:

  1. Your gingerbread house is beautiful! The stonework is impressive. What a fun post this is- my two favorites are the yarn bombed bollards and the chemistry Christmas tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the gingerbread house--really impressive; pretty and photogenic. Another interesting, fun post with great photos.
    Joyeux Noël!

    ReplyDelete
  3. gingerbread houses are such a lot of work! love all the christmas lights and decorations. those bollards are fun. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)