Sunday 16 August 2020

Olive, Pineapple and Cheese Scones International Scone Week

Scones are so easy to make.  They are part of my heritage.  Often when I visit my mum she has a batch of scones with jam and cream.  I don't make them that often but I do love them.  So during International Scone Week each year, I have the fun of trying a new scone recipe.  This year for #ISW2020 I looked in the fridge and, no doubt thought of our Friday night pizzas, and decided to make olive, pineapple and manchego cheese scones. 

 
   

I had other plans but Sylvia was around telling me what she would and would not eat.  I had a jar of salsa needing to be used which I thought might make a nice addition to the flavour.  Unfortunately I ditched it so that Sylvia might try the scones.  By that time I had noticed that my choice of add-ins reminded me of my favourite pizza, I wished I had pizza sauce instead of salsa.  Maybe another time!!!

We ate the scones on a winter Sunday afternoon with nowhere to go.  It is still lockdown and the weather forecasters has promised rain and gloom but it was tantilising sunshine instead.  (At least the diagnoses are on the way down.)  The scones cheered me up.  They spread a lot and were quite flat but tasted light and tasty.

My recipe I created was based on the basic scone recipe that is like the ones I grew up with.   It was quite sticky to handle and required a lot of flour to be able to knead it.  Even then the dough was very fragile.  But the flavour was good and I liked the contrast of the bitter olives and sweet pineapple.  As opinion seems divided about pineapple on pizza, I could imagine not having full support for the combination but I recommend it.

I am sending these scones to Tandy for International Scone Week 2020.  Thanks to Tandy for continuing to bring together scone baking bloggers.  Check out her post for a list of scones sent to Tandy this week. 

More scone recipes on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Beetroot, apple and walnut scones (v)
Gruyere scones
Kale scones (v)
Pumpkin scones
Pumpkin, pecan and poppyseed scones (v)
Strawberry marscapone scones
Walnut, brie and apple scones

Olive, Pineapple and Cheese Scones
An original Green Gourmet Giraffe recipe
Make 12-15 scones

2 cups self raising flour
3 pinches of salt (about 1/4 tsp) salt
2 tbsp butter or margarine (I used nuttalex)
1/4 cup chopped olives
1/4 cup diced fresh (or tinned) pineapple
1/4 cup manchego cheese (or other firm cheese)
1 cup milk (I used soy)
Egg and/or milk for glazing

Preheat oven to 220 C. Lightly grease a baking tray (or line with baking paper).

Place flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Rub in butter with your fingertips (or as you normally would do – pastry cutters, food processor etc) til it resembles fine breadcrumbs.Toss olives, pineapple and cheese with flour mixture.  Pour in milk and mix in gently til it forms a soft and sticky dough.

Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and knead lightly til smooth. Press dough out to a 2cm thickness. Dip biscuit cutter or glass in flour and cut as many scones as possible from dough. Place scones on a baking tray. Lightly knead off cuts into a ball and press out again and cut more scones. Repeat until all dough is used.

Brush the scones with a little milk or egg (I mixed milk and egg yolk). Bake in over for about 12-15 minutes until lightly browned and sound hollow when tapped on top. Remove from tray and wrap in a clean teatowel.  Best eaten warm or on day of baking.

On the Stereo:
Native Place: Railway Children

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this interesting recipe :) Stay well, and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scones are beautifully browned! I'm team pineapple myself; the combo of savory and sweet is something I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fantastic mix of flavours johanna! i am drooling as we 'speak'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting and unusual flavour combination. Loving these Johanna x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, pineapple scones - sounds devine! I like Hawaiian pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i so wanted to join in International Scone week, but was distracted with work and trying to use up fresh veg coming from the garden, that i missed the deadline. Your unusual combo intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)