Saturday 7 July 2018

Breakfast smoothie bowl

I do not embrace change.  Hence I am often the last to any craze.  Take Smoothie Bowls for example.  I've seen them online.  I've seen them in cafes.  I never got them.  Then last weekend I wanted muesli but was out of yoghurt.  So I decided to make a smoothie to go with my cereal.  And why not serve it in a bowl.  Indeed why not make it look pretty.

So today I bring you my first attempt at a Smoothie Bowl.  It tasted amazingly good.  I really liked all the different textures.  I had wanted to add passionfruit to the smoothie but didn't want the little ground seedy bits in it.  The Smoothie Bowl allowed me to have my smoothie with my passionfruit.  It is accommodating of vegan and gluten free diets too.  A really healthy and satisfying breakfast.

Would I do it again?  Probably not.  (Unless I got to do a green one because I love green!)  It was fiddly to arrange the toppings and took too long.  But I am glad I now know why everyone is raving about smoothie bowls.  Heck, I might even order one in a cafe some time.  If everyone else hasn't already moved onto the next fad.

More breakfast fads I have followed on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Baked porridge (v)
Breakfast burritos (gf, v)
Chickpea scramble (gf, v)
Nutella stuffed pancakes (v)
Green smoothie (gf, v)

Smoothie Bowl
serves 1 - 2

Handful of mixed berries
1/2 banana, peeled
flesh of one orange
1/2 - 1 cup of soy milk, or as needed
ice cubes, optional

To decorate: passionfruit pulp, black sesame seeds, desiccated coconut, sliced banana, toasted muesli, berries, mint leaves.

Other topping suggestions: chia seeds, other seeds and nuts, coconut flakes, dried fruit, other cereals, stone fruit, pomegranate arils, fruit cut into stars.

Green smoothie toppings might include: granny smith apples, kiwi fruit, gooseberries, pepitas, pistachios. mint leaves, avocado

On the Stereo:
Oliver musical soundtrack

6 comments:

  1. Smoothie bowls definitely look pretty although they're not for me. Mr NQN loves them but I like something a bit richer :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a bit reluctant to try smoothie bowls, but they do look pretty, and yours is amazingly good looking. I'm sure it also tested nice. Sometimes change and new things can be good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your smoothie bowl looks so pretty! I've never tried one- I seem to skip over the food trends, and don't particularly enjoy the idea of eating a thick, sweet smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they are appearing everywhere. I have seen them, but haven't been tempted to try it yet, although they are visually pleasing. And I smiled at you when you wrote 'took too long' that is how I would feel when I just want to dive in. Still its worth doing something at least once and your smoothie bowl does indeed look luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are more ahead of the 8 ball than me - I did not know that smoothie bowls were a thing. Yours looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never really got the smoothie bowl concept either. But yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)