Thursday 31 August 2017

Muesli slice and random links

I made these muesli bars because I get annoyed at how big muesli bars are in the shops.  I feel half the size would be far better for a kid's lunchbox.  With school in mind, I managed to keep nuts out of these.  It was a challenge with adapting a recipe that called for 3/4 cup of nuts.  But life does go on without nuts.

Sylvia of course took a dislike to these bars because they were filled with too many bits.  I put one in her lunchbox anyway.  She ate quite a bit, even with all the crumbly bits left.  I decided that was a win.  Then we all got sick and the bars sat there for weeks.  


After 3 weeks in an airtight container I am surprised to find they are quite edible.  It seems like they might survive a nuclear holocaust.  (Which could be useful to feed the cockroaches!)  Even if you don't have a nuclear holocaust on your hands, it is good to know these last week if you get distracted.  And they make for a rather satisfying snack.

And now, before I finish I have a few random links to share:
Plus more muesli slice recipes from Green Gourmet Giraffe:
Choc chip muesli slice
Fruit, nut and tahini slice (v)
Pumpkin muesli slice (v)
Rustic muesli squares
Tahini muesli bars
(v)

Muesli Slice
Adapted from taste.com

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
1/4 cup coconut flakes
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
3/4 cup dried fruit such as cranberries, sultanas and apricots
2/3 cup wholemeal  flour
1/2 cup choc chips  
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder (optional)
1/2 cup tahini (or nut butter)
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 eggs or flax eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Mix oats, pepitas, coconut, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds in a large shallow baking tin.  Cook for about 8 minutes at 160 C.  Cool slightly.   

Meanwhile mix dried fruit, flour, choc chips, brown sugar, cinnamon and baking powder.

Now mix the wet ingredients - tahini, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla.

Finally mix all ingredients together.  Spread into a slice tin and bake at 160 C for 25 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool in tin and then slice into squares or bars.  Lasts at least 3 weeks.

NOTES: I used milk chocolate but would prefer dark chocolate in these.  I used cranberries, sultanas and dates but would prefer cranberries and dried apricots.  I have put in baking powder as I was wondering if that might make them more cakier but am not sure this would make them last as well or not.  A flax egg is 1 tbsp flaxmeal or ground linseeds and 3 tbsp water.  I used flax eggs and these stayed together well.

On the Stereo:
The Blue Notebooks: Max Richter

8 comments:

  1. These sound delish. I prefer to make things like this myself - who knows what is in the store bought ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe I find fruit too big for lunchboxes too! Good to know that these last for weeks too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to make these at home, because I'm trying to cut down on plastic waste and the amount of plastic that buying cereal bars come with seems ridiculous. I love their longevity too - always a plus point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look much better than store bought equivalents - I admire your organisation and motivation with doing a home batch. 3 weeks and still edible is impressive too.

    I also like your list of links and will try to return to go through them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound wonderfully healthy and quite delicious...... but then I am an absolute sucker for a got muesli bar! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops..... I meant 'good' muesli bar!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you even need to cook the first five ingredients for eight minutes in step
    one? Would it still not work anyway and turn out tasty? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown - you don't need to cook them - but it adds to the flavour so it depends on what you want to do - I am always happy to change a recipe to suit what I want and think others should do the same - good luck!

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)