Monday 5 October 2015

Saff's Cafe, Castlemaine

So we are back from our trip to Echuca.  The suitcases are unpacked.  A couple of loads of washing have been dried on the line and put away.  And today we even washed the car.  All the remains to be done is upload a few posts on the holiday.  Starting with our lunch stop at Castlemaine en route to Echuca.  This was possibly the best cafe of the holiday.

 Firstly we admired the buildings of Castlemaine in the glorious sunshine.

Well actually we firstly confused Chewton for Castlemaine, then I tried to take E to another place that I swore said Restaurant and Barn but it turns out that it said Restorer's Barn.  Finally we found Saff's Cafe.

It was just our sort of place.  Street art.  Some historic touches.  I particularly loved the old faded signs on the facade that were a reminder it was once a building that sold ploughs, horse nails and fencing wire.  The mural on the side was delightful and humourous.  The backyard was a joy to look at through the french doors.

I chose the red lentil burger in Turkish bread with tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, relish and yoghurt.  It was really soft when I cut the huge burger in half.  But very good and interesting to have the relish and yoghurt come on the side.  Sylvia had the small bowl of fries.  I was really pleased we didn't order a large bowl. There were heaps and they were very good.  Hot and crisp.  E had a very substantial egg and bacon sandwich.

I was very full but I still wanted dessert.  The baked blueberry cheesecake was calling my name.  Fortunately there was only a small slice left (and we received a discounted price).  E and I shared it and it was delicious.  Really dense cheesecake with lots of fruit, albeit a bit jellied.

Sylvia insisted on a slice of lemon tart.  Then she barely touched it.  Fortunately E was at hand to help out.  He enjoyed it.  I have so little desire for lemon tart that I didn't bother having a bite but that is a personal preference.

And just to proove that we had chosen well, the place was quite full. 

Sylvia did a little happy dance and then we left.

We couldn't leave Castlemaine without some time in a bookshop.  Stoneman's Book Room was fantastic and we could have spent hours there.  Our fleeting visit to Castlemaine was enough to convince us we should head back some time.

Saff's Cafe
64 Mostyn St, Castlemaine, VIC
(03) 5470 6722
Facebook page

Saffs Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

10 comments:

  1. I really need to go for a road trip to Victoria sometime, I've never been further south than Canberra! Saff's Cafe looks lovely, I love visiting old buildings that have been repurposed. I'm looking forward to seeing your posts about the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyra - am sure you would love it down south - I always get surprised how many places I would love to visit in Victoria but haven't got around to, and it is interesting to see repurposed buildings in the country

      Delete
  2. These images scream Australia at me :-) I look forward to continuing to hear about your trip and am glad it started off well with this delicious lunch and lovely cafe. I find food a bit hit and miss in smaller Australian towns so your veggie burger looks like a good find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I think the blue blue sky helps it look so Australian - I suspect food is more impressive in Castlemaine than in a lot of country towns - it is a real treechanger town

      Delete
  3. What gorgeous photos. I love visiting towns like this that have done well preserving facades and streetscapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorraine - I am a sucker for any country town with some historic buildings

      Delete
  4. Looks like a lovely cafe - I so want the cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - it was great though a regular piece might have been quite a lot

      Delete
  5. Castlemaine looks really lovely with its historic buildings. The cafe sounds great and I love the look of the desserts. I quite like lemon tart! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I am sure many people would love the lemon tart - I always feel an odd one out because I have never understood the appeal

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)