Wednesday 31 December 2014

Broad bean, courgette and pea soup, and 1000 steps walk

I enjoy the rest period between the frantic bursts of Christmas and New Year's Eve.  It is a time when we can wind down, reflect, and think about the year ahead.  While I am not one for New Year's resolutions, I do know when my body needs to be treated with some respect.  Hence it was that after the festive feasting, I ate soup and had a long walk.

I didn't take many photos of the soup because I made it after bringing home Sylvia from an outing to see the Paddington movie again and a playdate with a friend (where she had been ill) and while my parents dropped in on the way to the airport to pick up my sister and her son.

Likewise, I didn't take many photos at the 1000 steps walk we did the day before.  I had decided we needed to get out of town for a bushwalk while E was on holidays.  I packed some rolls with cheese and chutney, some fruit and a few last chocolate mince pies.  Unfortunately I forgot to pack my camera memory card so I just used my phone for photos.

The 1000 steps walk in Ferntree Gully (on the outskirts of Melbourne) is a memorial to the Kokoda Trail in Papua New Guinea where many Australian's showed courage in a battle during World War II.  Most of the people walking the memorial trail seemed there for fitness rather than to pay respects.  We were there for the scenic walk. 

The walk was a little more challenging and more spectacular than I had expected.  I loved all the rain forest tree ferns and lots of majestic gum trees.  The steps had me wishing I was fitter.  However we all reached the top and enjoyed eating our rolls.

We then headed down with vision of icy poles dancing in our heads.  The 1000 steps cafe seemed to offer quite a decent menu with burgers, a "vegetarian sensation", and lots of biscuits.  It was warm enough that all we were interested in were the ice creams or icy poles.

E and I were ready for a rest but Sylvia was full of energy at the end of the walk and had a lovely time on the playground.

I highly recommend this soup (inspired by this recipe) if you want something light after your New Year's indulgences.  In North America, black eyed peas and greens are often eaten for luck.  This dish is not quite that sort of peas and greens but it is as close as I get.

Now I am off to make vegetarian haggis nachos for our New Year's Eve dinner.  I wish you all fun celebrating the new year (or best wishes for trying to sleep while the fireworks explode around you if that is your preference) and a happy and healthy 2015.  I will do a reflection on 2014 post early in the new year.

Previously on Green Gourmet Giraffe:
One year ago: A day out: Pancake Parlour, Frozen and Starbucks
Two years ago: Edinburgh cafe: Jenners Department Store
Three years ago: Rocky road
Four years ago: Haggis nachos, haggis leftovers
Five years ago: Sweet pasta, sweet crepes
Six years ago: Chestnut, parsnip and orange soup
Seven years ago: PPN #44 Pumpkin Sauce and the Grim Eater

Broad bean, courgette and pea soup
Serves 4

2-3 tsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery, chopped
2 small potatoes, chopped
1 large zucchini (400g), chopped
3 garlic, finely sliced
3 cups vegetable stock
500g frozen broad beans
1 cup frozen peas
1 handful of rocket or baby spinach
Seasoning
Mint and parmesan to serve*

Heat oil in a large saucepan.  Fry onion and celery for 5 to 10 minutes until onion is soft.  Mix in potatoes and fry for about 5 minutes, then add zucchini and garlic and fry about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.  By now the vegies should be quite soft (and the bottom of my saucepan was quite brown).

Add in stock, broad beans and peas.  Check seasoning and adjust if desired.  Simmer for about 10 minutes.  Add rocket or spinach.

Blend with a hand held blender or as desired.  Stir in about 1-2 tablespoons of finely grated parmesan and chopped mint.  Ladle into bowls and serve with extra parmesan, mint and lots of black pepper.

*NOTES: For a vegan soup use some nutritional yeast flakes or a vegan parmesan instead of the parmesan.

On the Stereo:
Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes

27 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Johanna!
    I know what you mean about taking a breather. The holidays can play a toll on mind and belly, lol...Your soup sounds perfect for this time of year. However, I'm really relishing that walk of yours. I managed to get a few steps in a few days ago but I'm having such a time adjusting to this weather this year. You've inspired me to try again:)

    Thank you so much for sharing your walk with us Johanna. Sending Happy and Healthy wishes to you and your family. I look forward to another fantabulous year of your meals and chats:) Louise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - the holidays have been lots of social eating but it has been nice to have my sister about who has been inspiring me to eat more healthy salads - it is not too bad getting out and about - though we have had a couple of 40 C days that are just too hot to do anything but thank goodness for indoor pools on those days. Happy new year Louise

      Delete
  2. Taking a breather here too and not doing any new years celebrations before I launch in to massive house cleaning mode! I still haven't done the 1000 steps and planned to do it in 2014... whoops. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veganopoulous - oh house cleaning mode is something I need - just getting onto my washing - maybe this is your year for 1000 steps :-)

      Delete
  3. This is my first holiday season working throughout and I definitely miss the slow down... no big plans for tonight - just dinner with friends after work. I definitely love the sound of your nachos, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet - hope you enjoyed some peace and quiet at work and a nice new year's dinner - we enjoyed our nachos

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see these photos given my Dad's ties to the area - we visited just once and I remember it being beautiful but not much else. Funnily, though, Perth also has a Kokoda Trail and it is really very challenging indeed. I don't know if there are 1000 steps, but the steps there are are up a very steep hill!

    This looks like a great way to recharge before the new year, and I hope you have welcomed the new year happily and it brings you more happiness over the next 12 months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari - I could imagine you would enjoy the 1000 steps and probably do them a bit quicker than me :-) I do love the bush in the Dandenongs and think it would be a great place for any kid to grow up

      Delete
  5. That soup is so pretty - love the vibrant green colour. I find going for walks very therapeutic. Happy New Year to you, E and Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlie - I wish I had more walks like this in my life - they are great therapy

      Delete
  6. I had never heard of the 1000 steps walk, but it sounds interesting. Your soup looks very healthy after the excesses of the festive season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cakelaw - I'd never heard of it either - just had a look on the web for a walk near to town

      Delete
  7. You know, I often wish I could come over to your place for dinner! (not in stalkerish way, just in a all your food looks so good way!) The soup looks delicious, I really love broad beans. Sometimes I just have a bowl of them with nuttelex and salt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - you would be most welcome for dinner - I rarely have broadbeans - made this soup because I was quite unsure what to do with them

      Delete
  8. Happy new year! I've loved this festive period more than ever before I think, just deciding not to work but to dream, plan and reflect and have fun. It's been wonderful, and I'll definitely be booking the time out again next crimbo!
    I love to think of you guys basking in summer right now, the days are just starting the lengthen here which always lifts the soul :)
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janie - I've enjoyed this festive season - though I have been living in the moment rather than finding much time to dream and plan - january is that time for us - I hope! Enjoy the longer days and happy new year

      Delete
  9. The soup sounds wonderful Johanna. I do love broad beans, so creamy and tasty. That looks like a great walk too. Hope Sylvia is feeling better.

    Happy New Year to you all. Hope 2015 is a good one for you and includes a trip to Scotland xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac - would love to get to scotland this year (and catch up with you) but am still a bit unsure of how the year will unroll - sylvia only had a momentary upset tummy and recovered to play with her friend - phew!

      Delete
  10. A good walk and a healthy soup are just what I need to reset as well! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - it is a great way for time out at an intense time of year

      Delete
  11. Lovely soup Johanna. It looks so thick, tasty and nutritious. I definitely feel a soup binge coming on after all that over-indulging. Your walk sounds delightful. One day I will get to see the world 'down under'! It looks very beautiful.... Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate - it was a lot thicker than I expected - but I love thick soups - we are into salads now - it has been too hot for soups the last few days - I would highly recommend a visit down under

      Delete
  12. That greeeeeen soup looks like just what I need after christmas eating (which spanned a lot more than just christmas let me tell you!), although maybe not in this heat that we are having over this weekend! We did the 1000 steps a couple of months ago - it really is beautiful, but I to did not realise quite how challenging it would be (and was not dressed accordingly...with a long layered skirt that I had to hold up for most of the walk..ha!). It was so busy too, and I was in awe of all the people running up and down the steps. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caeli - well at least it sounds like you enjoyed your Christmas eating - I looked it up online before heading off and was very pleased to find a walker note that shorts are what you need for this walk so we dressed lightly. We sat with a woman whose friends had gone back down for another go at the steps - that seemed crazy to me!

      Delete
  13. Haha! Don't you hate it when you go all out to wear out the children and they end up still full of beans while you're too exhausted to deal with them! Sounds like a great day. My ex-manager used to RUN the 1000 steps 3 times a week when she was training to do the real Kokoda walk...at 60 years old! Made me feel like a big lazy blob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - yes I think we wear out before sylvia - I read that a lot of people train for the actual kokoda trail by walking this memorial trail - apparently runners were a real nusiance so they they opened a lyrebird walk as an alternative for runners. And the track is so narrow I think it must help because there is not much room for passing.

      Delete
  14. I feel the same as you with resolutions. And I overindulged a bit over the holidays myself and have been enjoying lighter meals this week =)
    Love the 1000 step walk - such a great idea. And what beautiful sights!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I love hearing from you. Please share your thoughts and questions. Annoyingly the spammers are bombarding me so I have turned on the pesky captcha code (refresh to find an easy one if you don't like the first one)